Nose high?

NDBirdman

Short trip with new to me camper. New tires, brake assemblies, bearings/race on both axles. Does she look about right, or do I need to drop the (Anderson) hitch a little to lower the camper's nose a tad? Looks to me like I'm putting a little more on the rear axle than the front (on camper).   I did not measure but I would say I have 6ish clearance from top of tailgate to camper.  I started in a pretty empty parking lot, turning tighter and tighter.  I see with this short bed radius is not going to be a problem but it looked like if I take a very sharp turn the hitch looks like it will hit the bed rails.  Going to be fun learning!

20180426_151940.jpg

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

You should have about 6" of clearance from the bed rails on the truck to the camper. Any less and you are inviting troubles when turning. 

If you can lower it and still maintain that amount of clearance, I think I would as it does look a little nose high. Sometimes though you just can't get it completely level and you just do the best you can.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

You should have about 6" of clearance from the bed rails on the truck to the camper. Any less and you are inviting troubles when turning. 

If you can lower it and still maintain that amount of clearance, I think I would as it does look a little nose high. Sometimes though you just can't get it completely level and you just do the best you can.

I agree.  Plus being that nose high puts more weight on the rear axles.  More then likely being to much weight for them.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Birdman,

I had that problem on my HitchHiker so I had the axle flipped. the trailer should be level and the clearance of the bottom of the trailer and the top of the truck bed as already said must be about 5". If your axles are mounted on adjustable hangers where the bolt attaching the axle ends to the frame hanger is going through one of three or four holes you may be able to change to a lower hole and hget some lift. If you choose to flip your axles for about 5" of extra height you will need to get the saddle replaced and weld the new one on the other side of each axle. This video shows a basic axle flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWhdkNQ04dc

It can be done DIY if you are an accomplished welder.

Here is a kit

After you watch the video let me know if you have any questions. My first one is does your suspension have shocks? If so you need new shock hangers too or a different size shock.

You need to raise the trailer.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Axles are already on the bottom, springs go over.  I can probably lower the ball on the hitch lowering the front but I don't know how much it will drop, have not tried yet.  I will probably do it next weekend when we take 'er camping, will measure when I get back on pavement.  Hangers only have 2 holes, it's in the bottom one now giving it as much raise as those can.  Those can't be changed without welding?  I will look at that again.  I will try dropping the ball first since it will be the easiest.  Can't go bigger tires, these are factory size, their is not much room between them now, maybe 2 inches but these will stay (brand new).

I will definitely stop by the cat scales when I go through town to see where the weight is.  Hopefully they can give individual axle weights. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Whoa,

That is a quandary. Have you tried calling the factory for advice?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The best option would be to raise the trailer by adding to the bottom of the frame and re-attaching the suspension.  Some sill say this will make the trailer unstable, but the little that needs to be added has to be better than towing the rig with that much angle and also having the back end that close to the pavement.

18 hours ago, RV_ said:

Whoa,

That is a quandary. Have you tried calling the factory for advice?

Which factory?  2002 is the last year this model was manufactured.  I believe THOR took over the brand the year before and stopped making these.

Best I can tell from the image, ditto what 57becky and truckman says. I would guess that 2-3 inch riser will make it very near level without compromising the bed to trailer clearance. And yes, that will make the trailer a bit more top heavy and more subject to instability (higher center of gravity) in turns. MORryde can add riser as I suspect there are others that can also.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Yep a riser would be the safest way. Here are a bunch of pics and most have a link in the pic. See which solution looks best for your suspension.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rv+fifth+wheel+height+raising+kit&qpvt=rv+fifth+wheel+height+raising+kit&FORM=IGRE

One thing not mentioned. If it is an older fifth wheel, are your springs flattened out when loaded?  What did the weighing turn out per axle and combined compared to your GVWR?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

19 hours ago, RV_ said:

One thing not mentioned. If it is an older fifth wheel, are your springs flattened out when loaded?

Good suggestion, it is a 2002.  I will have to look at them.  When it stops raining... could be worse, could be.. snowing.. LOL   I'll take a pic and post it later.

LOL, don't think I will slam my truck, atleast not this year.  🙂

I was thunking, is it possible to raise the campers pin box to lower the nose?  Looking at it, it looks like at some point in time the pin box was lowered, or dropped a couple holes.  I wonder if I can raise the pin box, keep some safe clearance on the truck bed, thus lowering the nose?  Just a thought.  Yup, I do claim rookie status.  My camper experience has mostly been in TTs.

I would think lowering the nose so clearance is only a few inches but not the 6 to 7" that is best would make it hit the tailgate/bed corners on high railroad crossings and drives.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Springs look great to me, axle already flipped if it's not factory.  Looks like the block already is appx an inch so don't know, should I put in another one?

20180501_121803.jpg

I would get with a good suspension spring shop after trying to lower by changing the pin box attachment if it is adjustable. If that doesn't do the trick then have a spring shop advise you on the best way to block the axle. What your picture is showing between the springs and the axle is the welded on saddle, not a block. The reason I say a spring shop is that they can get it just right safely.

I learned all about axles and saddles when I had my axle flipped by idiots at an RV shop in Fairfield California. Also on the way back from Alaska we burned an axle bearing on i5 in Washington and had to replace the entire axle and that is when I learned it is cheaper to replace the entire backer plates and electric brakes for under 70 bucks each than to pay labor to replace/rebuild the brakes!

Hope that helps!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Springs look great to me, axle already flipped if it's not factory.  Looks like the block already is appx an inch so don't know, should I put in another one?

20180501_121803.jpg

Our last 5er was nose-high. I had a 2"X2" sq steel tube cut to the same length as the bottom spring leaf and installed between springs and axle spacer, of course this required new-longer U bolts. In retrospect I should have had a sub-frame welded to the OEM frame and attached the suspension to that sub-frame because I did notice some spring wrap during hard braking.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived