Texas Handicap Plate

skpjose

My wife qualifies for a "Handicap" vehicle tag.  She only requires it when she is by herself.  We are Texas residents and all our vehicles are licensed there.  Since we are full time all of our doctors are in Arizona.  In order to get a Handicap tag from Texas a Doctor from Texas or adjacent state needs to prescribe it.  That is inconvenient for us to get another doctor in Texas.  Wonder if anyone else has addressed this issue and found a solution.

If you have a handicapped tag from another state, try taking that to the TX office and see if they won't transfer it. 

Second thought, get all the paperwork from the DR in AZ and make an appointment with a TX family practice, show then the paperwork and see if they won't give you the TX paperwork you need.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Set up a routine appt. in Deming, NM (the SKP park there could perhaps give you a recommendation). That's only about 300 mi. from Tucson, AZ.  Stay in a motel for one night.  Or.... if Texas is required then do the same in El Paso or make a short trip to the New Mexico SKP park near Carlsbad and get a recommendation from the SKP park for doctors.  You'll need to call the SKP parks beforehand to get some recommendations in order to set up an appt.   There could be other ways but I'm not familiar with the process.  Hopefully, someone who has done it will be able to help.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We do Deming a lot.  Did both Deming and El Paso last November to get TX DL renewed.  Just didn't want to get a Dr appointment in NM or TX.  Thought about getting on in AZ, not sure if that's possible will talk to AZ license here in Tucsin..  Probably a doctor in Deming would be an OK idea.

It's not like you'd have to keep returning to the doctor in Deming. . . just a one-time thing to get the handicap tag. Apply for a permanent one.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You can get an Arizona hanging tag. You don’t have to have a license to have a tag. What if you don’t drive but your friends do? What about minor children? I have Texas placards. When they need renewed I send them to my daughter and she takes them down and gets them renewed. She than sends them back to me. Not sure how this works in other states. Also when we are in California, I use my Texas placard in my MIL California registered vehicle.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

7 hours ago, Ronbo said:

You can get an Arizona hanging tag. You don’t have to have a license to have a tag.

I would think that this is the best approach. I suspect that it would be difficult to find a doctor who would sign your application form on the first and only visit. I know that TX law does honor the hang tags or license plate designators fo any other state and I suspect that to be true everywhere in the country. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

any VA doctor can do your paperwork if that is applicable to you and it doesn't matter the state. At least is what Polk County, tx told me.  I did one that way but it was a VA Dr. in Albq. which is anadjoining state so I haven't truly tested the water on VA certification.  Keep in mind some Dr"s won't just automatically certify you based on one office visit.

Don’t confuse use of a disability placker or disability liscense plate with the issuance of one. If you have a disability plaker or plate issued by a any state DMV it is valid in all states.

However in order to obtain one you must get a Dr in your state of registration to sign a form to take to your state DMV. You need do this only once. You can renew your placker or plate every year with out going back to the Dr. I had a disability plate in CA and when I switched my domicile to the Escapees South Dakota address I had to go to a Dr to get the SD form signed to take to the SD DMV to get a SD Disability plate. 

According to this thread I guess TX will allow you to go to a adjoing State Dr. Not sure if this is true I have never registered a vehicle in TX. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I don't know why but even though my dr. certified permanent disablity the first time when my placard expired at 5 yrs I think, I had to get a new certification. This was through Polk Cty tax office but since then they have renewed twice by sending them the old expired placard.  I have 2 placard which I think I paid $5, each for so if I am traveling I send one in early enough to get the replacement before they expire.  It is a little more trouble but seems to work well. I much prefer the placard over the plate as I can use it in other vehicles if I remember it :). I am lucky in that I don't need to use mine a lot but when I do I have it.

32 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I have 2 placard which I think I paid $5, each for so if I am traveling I send one in early enough to get the replacement before they expire.

From the TX handicap placard application form:

There is no fee for a placard issued to a person with a permanent disability, and a $5 fee (per placard) if issued to a person with a temporary disability.

Pam just got her permanent one this week and it was issued for 6 years to then be renewed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived