WARNING, when ordering from "Waytec" be aware of their shipping policies.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Let me start this post by stating that my issue with Waytec, has been resolved in my favor but if anyone does business with these folks BEWARE the hidden oversize box shipping costs.

Brian who is assisting me in my Peterbilt, build sent me a shopping list, parts that he suggested I order through a company named "Waytec".  I registered with the web site, looked at the pricing, all seemed good, I placed the order.  On the invoice that showed on the screen it listed the items, their costs and the total, but is did NOT show the shipping cost.  It said that I would receive an email detailing shipping costs AFTER they had been determined.

A day later I get the email, 214 dollars worth of product with a shipping cost of over 56 dollars.  As I was not knowledgable of what some of the items were that I had ordered I waited until they were delivered to see what they are, how big they were and how much they weighted as this all impacts the cost of shipping.  When UPS delivered the "packages" I could see immediately what the problem was.  Part of my order was TWO pieces of shrink tube, each piece was 48 inches long.  These two pieces of shrink tube were in a separate box about two inches square by 49 inches long at a cost of over 34 dollar the cost of the shrink tube was less then 14 dollars.

So instead of just rolling the shrink tube into a loose coil and putting it in the box with the rest fo the order it was shipped separately.  I might add that there was enough room in the box the rest of the items came in to EASILY put at least 10 loosely coiled tube of shrink tube.  When I called to complain about the shipping cost I was told there was nothing that could be done, being a "Cob", I persisted.  I was then told that because many who order from Waytec, resell the products that they ship the shrink tube in a separate box so that it would be kinked.  I can understand this, but as I am NOT a reseller and know that folding or coiling shrink tube will not harm it so it can't be used there should be some kind of explanation of this practice on the web site ordering page and there should be a customer option of requesting that the shrink tube be packaged and shipped in the same box as the rest of the order.  Talking to the customer service lady she admitted that this has been an ongoing problem with MANY questioning the shipping charges.  She told me that someone from Waytec, would get a hold of me.  To be perfectly honest, based on similar situations in the past when dealing with other companies I didn't put a lot of faith is this happening.

I just a few minutes ago received an email from a Waytec, representative asking me to call them, give my CC information and that I would be given full credit for the shipping of the shrink tube, over 34 dollars.  I called, it was taken care of. I want to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this turn of events, I want to thank Waytec, for being a standup company and one that I will do business with in the future, NOW that I am aware of their shipping practices I will know to REQUEST in the "comments" section of the online order form to specify that any shrink tube order should be placed in the same box as the other products I have ordered.

As a lot of us do projects that require sometimes odd electrical products and I know many have mentioned Waytec, as a goto place for such items in the past I thought this post might save some of us a lot of money and Waytec, customer service employees a lot of grief dealing with what they already know is a problem.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It's not just Waytec.  I've had similar experiences from such companies as John Deere.  Two shims in a big box, when an envelope would have sufficed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yep--Its a great point to make.  Waytek is a supplier---they sell to resellers and builders in quantity.  They have great prices--but you will pay shipping.    They clearly state they will charge you actual shipping charges....but in this day of "free shipping", many people don't think to figure that into the actual cost of the product.  Or, like you, not know they box stuff in certain ways.   I suggest you call in and ask about how much the shipping will cost.   They don't know either until the box goes on the scales, but they might be able to estimate.

I've gotten 1000's of orders from them over the years, and I agree, they are an excellent company to work with, always helpful and try to make you happy.  They even have special ordered a few things in for me in the past.   BUT---they are not really set up for selling 1 to a individual.  And--they don't control shipping charges.

All the big electrical suppliers are the same way--Waytek, Mouser, Allied, etc.  

I've always been amazed at the number of comments and hating on Waytek online.  They actually have a pretty low rating, and every negative comment I saw was about shipping charges.  Yet they really do only charge the actual shipping charge from UPS or Fed-Ex.     I once saw a comment absolutely RANTING about how deceptive they were, etc, etc.  The guy had seen the cheap price and ordered something like a couple fuses.  $5 for the parts....$15 for shipping.   Well, I had to think....do people really think shipping is free???    Shouldn't they be ranting about UPS?

So if you just want a couple small items, far better to run down to the local NAPA, etc.

Your situation was a bit unique, in the items you bought, so I get it. (see next paragraph!)      On the other hand,  If they shipped my order of heatshrink w/sealant folded, I'd be calling demanding a refund, because I'd have to cut out and throw away the folded part.  So they can't win!  

Sometimes I feel like "could you box this to cost any more if you tried?"  One time I ordered a 1000 of one terminal (not from Waytek BTW).  I got 997 in the first shipment, then another box with 3 in!   Guess what...$20 more shipping!   I've had to pay big $$$ for getting 8' long tubes shipped in and then on....all part of doing business.

BTW--this post is in no way a criticism of your post---I agree!  The whole "shipping thing" is a real issue.  The suppliers can't really tell you how much it is until they pack, weigh, and ship the box, so they can't tell you up front.  You on the other hand, may get hit with unexpected charges due to a oversize box, etc.    And "free shipping"??  Get REAL.   

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I've experienced this many times, too.  From various companies.  It seems almost to be another profit center for mail order companies, putting a big markup on shipping.  Their products are priced very competitive, but shipping is outrageous.

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

12 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I've experienced this many times, too.  From various companies.  It seems almost to be another profit center for mail order companies, putting a big markup on shipping.  Their products are priced very competitive, but shipping is outrageous.

Bottom line is if the price is low the freight is generally high. BUT anymore if you look hard enough you will find low price and free shipping.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Shipping department ... might be just a step above minimum wage , if that , and likely not the brightest bulbs on the tree . 

Doesn't take much to toss stuff in a box and tape it shut . Heck , they don't even have to worry about finding a box or the tape . 

Goes around , comes around .

Recently there was a big amazon complaint about a package that came in a box in a box, and wrapped all in paper.

the order was bubble wrap.

someone had fun wrapping that up.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, rickeieio said:

It's not just Waytec.  I've had similar experiences from such companies as John Deere.  Two shims in a big box, when an envelope would have sufficed.

John Deere will always nail you for shipping. I try to order on stock order. Ok so you have to wait a couple days but its free. Half the time when I do overnight something it wont come until 3 the next afternoon anyway. Just as well wait another day and get it free.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

8 minutes ago, ewacowboy said:

A little off topic Dave....but I just looked at the Waytek site and they will only sell wire in 100" rolls.  Did you order smaller directly from them?

Howdy Jim,

I didn't order any wire, Brain gave me list of fuses, fuse blocks, connectors, cable lugs etc.  I don't know what half of this stuff is or how it will be used.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived