My new hitch plate...

Dbl0svn

No worries Dave.  It is very difficult to see the two rear bars since they are in front of the air bags and under the top plate. 

Everyone has an opinion, that's what makes this Country so great.  However, every problem has many solutions that achieve similar results.  Just because It's different than the norm doesn't mean it's wrong.  It's just different.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dbl0svn said:

No worries Dave.  It is very difficult to see the two rear bars since they are in front of the air bags and under the top plate. 

Everyone has an opinion, that's what makes this Country so great.  However, every problem has many solutions that achieve similar results.  Just because It's different than the norm doesn't mean it's wrong.  It's just different.  

Howdy Dbl0svn,

OK, now its starting to make sense I am "assuming" the two 5/8" bars are anchored and are acting like torsion bars.  Nothing wrong with being different but it does invite the unknowing to ask and therefore gain enlightenment.  Hope our trails cross at some point I do want to take a look at your hitch.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

36 minutes ago, Dbl0svn said:

Dave,  You may be better to have airsafe answer your questions regarding their hitch, since I have not crash tested it.  The Airsafe 32k hitch is suspended by the front heim joint and two 5/8" bars underneath between the air bags.  

I chose this hitch since it has the ability to control the yaw of the trailer with the air bags verses other hitches that use a free floating pivoting head.  Commercial trailers use the tractors fixed side to side 5th wheel to force the tractors supension to control it's yaw.  

The rv pin boxes typically don't tolerate that much stress, so rv hitch makers use a free floating head that provides no directional stability other than that provided by the trailer axles.  They work great in a straight line and low speed maneuvering,  but at higher speeds they will allow the trailer to tilt far enough for the wheels to leave the ground before they run out of flexible.range

The Airsafe 32k is always applying pressure through the air bags to control the yaw while still retaining the integrity of the rv pinbox.

That was why I chose the Airsafe.  

Feel free to use whatever hitch addresses your needs best.

I believe the axis of rotation you are describing is the ROLL axis, the yaw axis is the movement of the trailer from side to side as seen in sway.     I like your tray mount, what weld process did you use to construct it?

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Asking questions is always a good thing.  The two bars are welded to the bottom plate and go up though a hole in the top plate and ride along a hard low friction polymer guide.   The two bars are tied together at the top with another plate.

I look forward to meeting you also.  

5 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I believe the axis of rotation you are describing is the ROLL axis, the yaw axis is the movement of the trailer from side to side as seen in sway.     I like your tray mount, what weld process did you use to construct it?

Steve  

Thanks Steve.  You are correct.

50 minutes ago, Dbl0svn said:

I chose this hitch since it has the ability to control the yaw of the trailer with the air bags verses other hitches that use a free floating pivoting head.  Commercial trailers use the tractors fixed side to side 5th wheel to force the tractors supension to control it's yaw. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a commercial hitch allows a good bit of "roll" to occur at the pin, because by using a single jaw design, the pin can float.  I have other trucks, and several semi trailers, all used off road as well as on road, in places I wouldn't dream of dragging an RV.  It's common to have an inch or two gap at the edge of the hitch, because the tractor and trailer are not in the same plane.

So,  the trailer has to have a lot of rigidity, which it achieves because it doesn't have a silly little appendage with the pin attached.  The pin is under the trailer, attached directly to something of substance.

RV tow hitches need to allow roll because the RV hitch is a crappy design, forced on us by the need for rvs to be towed by pickups.

Please take my soap box before I fall off........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a commercial hitch allows a good bit of "roll" to occur at the pin, because by using a single jaw design, the pin can float.  I have other trucks, and several semi trailers, all used off road as well as on road, in places I wouldn't dream of dragging an RV.  It's common to have an inch or two gap at the edge of the hitch, because the tractor and trailer are not in the same plane.

So,  the trailer has to have a lot of rigidity, which it achieves because it doesn't have a silly little appendage with the pin attached.  The pin is under the trailer, attached directly to something of substance.

RV tow hitches need to allow roll because the RV hitch is a crappy design, forced on us by the need for rvs to be towed by pickups.

Please take my soap box before I fall off........

Rickeieio, 

I think that we are in agreement, you just brought a box of soap with you for some reason 😉.

I agree that the commercial pin and locking jaw have a certain degree of movement.  They would have to in order to let the assembly function without binding and since commercial vehicles  are designed to couple with any compatible commercial trailer.   Its common to hear the trailer slap down on the 5th wheel when its going over a large bump.  However, the hitch itself is fixed in the lateral direction. 

On 2/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve  

Steve,

I cut the plate using a CNC plasma cutter and then I beveled the edges.  I used a 300 amp welder that runs a flux cored wire.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:20 PM, Dbl0svn said:

Here you go Jack.

URL%5D.

Thanks!  Hope that hitch pin support does not reach the fenders....they look so nice  ;)  Hard to tell in the pictures, but I suspect it is not long enough.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Thanks!  Hope that hitch pin support does not reach the fenders....they look so nice  ;)  Hard to tell in the pictures, but I suspect it is not long enough.

I'll find out when I have time to take it out for a drive.  It won't be a problem.  I have plenty of room to move the fenders down if needed.  If I remember correctly, It's short enough for the low hanging section to turn inside of the fenders.

7 hours ago, Dbl0svn said:

I'll find out when I have time to take it out for a drive.  It won't be a problem.  I have plenty of room to move the fenders down if needed.  If I remember correctly, It's short enough for the low hanging section to turn inside of the fenders.

I agree looks like it will turn and not hit the fenders..

On adjusting those fenders. We used a 2x8 laying with the tires. Air down the bags, and that 1.5" at rest. Give's you plenty of room when the bags are aired up.

Looking forward to more pics of both hooked up. Like the short wheelbase and the trailer closer to the sleeper. Plus makes for daily driving. Wish mine was 20" Shorter then it is. And its 220" now.

Pete

event.png

Smart looking set up. I assume you singled short and moved rear axle to front position? Does this make a stable ride? Does it get chopy like a smart or does the airride smooth it all out. Again I like the looks of it.

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

10 hours ago, oldride said:

Smart looking set up. I assume you singled short and moved rear axle to front position? Does this make a stable ride? Does it get chopy like a smart or does the airride smooth it all out. Again I like the looks of it.

Oldride,

Thank you.  I actually ordered the truck as a single rear axle.  The truck has a 215" wheelbase and actually has a very comfortable ride to it.  It does have front and rear air ride though.  I will be sure to get pics of the full unit when I can.

Actually, nothing on the truck is modified from the factory truck, except for adding the Jackalopee, the rear fenders and lighted mudflap hangers.  My new hitch plate required no modifications to the truck at all.  My design allows the truck's components to move through it and it just bolts on where the factory hitch did.

I was able to get out for a ride today.  The verdict is that everything works perfectly.  I put about 60 miles of combined residential, highway and tight turn shuttle work and there were no clearance issues or any other issues.

I found that the combination tracks as smooth and true as a commercial truck. No more trailer sway and the ride is smooth and stable.  The trailer no longer bobs around poorly, but instead has a very controlled movement.  

I could not be more pleased with the outcome.

URL%5D.URL%5D.lo

The truck and trailer look great together.....glad it all worked out so well!!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That looks fantastic!

One thing you may want to look into, the forward landing gear legs, they seem to be quite low.   One the perfect dip they could get caught.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

That looks fantastic!

One thing you may want to look into, the forward landing gear legs, they seem to be quite low.   One the perfect dip they could get caught.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I've had this 5ver for two years and never had a probem.  Its sitting level.

Archived