My new hitch plate...

Dbl0svn

So I was looking at the back of my Volvo before Christmas and thought that I could design a hitch platform that would mount my hitch over my rear axle and down between my frame rails to keep my kingpin height at the 47.5-48" height that I needed.

The next thing that I knew, I was on the frame of my Volvo with a cardboard box and a utility knife.  About a month and a half later, I built this platform using an Airsafe 32k hitch.  It actually came together pretty simple and works like a champ.

So, I replaced my 9 month old ET Senior hitch with it and am going to run this set up instead.IMG%5DIMG%5DIMG%5DIMG%5D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious - how much clearance to the fenders with the 5er?   The whole thing looks very good from the pictures. I'd love to see it in "real life".  :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

6 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Just curious - how much clearance to the fenders with the 5er?   The whole thing looks very good from the pictures. I'd love to see it in "real life".  :)

Anything for you Jack 😉.  I'll go out and hook it up and snap a few pics.  The next time you are in Maryland, look me up.  You can go over it as much as you like.  

One day I plan on making it to the ECR.   I will be in NC and GA this spring if I can get away from work.

Just now, Dbl0svn said:

Anything for you Jack 😉.  I'll go out and hook it up and snap a few pics.  The next time you are in Maryland, look me up.  You can go over it as much as you like.  

One day I plan on making it to the ECR.   I will be in NC and GA this spring if I can get away from work.

Don't go to any trouble....I was just curious on the clearance.  It is a very neat looking job.  I'll never see it unless you head west some....I never get to the NE area. Farthest I go is VA....and only under "duress". (Family there.)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Don't go to any trouble....I was just curious on the clearance.  It is a very neat looking job.  I'll never see it unless you head west some....I never get to the NE area. Farthest I go is VA....and only under "duress". (Family there.)

No worries.  Once the rain stops here, I'll try and get some pics for you.  

You've helped me a lot over the years with your website and answering my direct questions.  This is the least that I can do.

Sounds like some day I'm going to have to make my way out to Kansas then.

1 hour ago, Dbl0svn said:

Here you go.URL%5D

Howdy Dbl0svn,

Very nice job. 

Looking this photo of your hitch, I would really like to ask some questions concerning this design as regards the ongoing discussion concerning the roll over wreck where the hitch twisted and failed. HOWEVER I do NOT want to mess up this thread nor in any way bad mouth your hitch or your work.  Would you object to my starting another thread using this photo to talk about this hitch design?  If your not totally comfortable with this just say so and I'll let it go.  Thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,  I didn't make this setup to get into any sort of debate.  The airsafe hitch is a commercial Rv 5th wheel hitch.  If you have concerns about its performance in a roll over scenario, then I would advise you to use your own judgement and choose what you believe to be best for you.

My plate is 5/8" and is mated to the 5/8" of the airsafe hitch plate for approximately 1.25" of combined steel plate.  The out riggers are bolted on the factory hitch rails with the multiple fastener system used for an 80k trailer combination. 

My.opinion would be that if you find yourself in a roll over scenario, regardless of whether the hitch holds together, or not, it's probably not going to matter too much on the outcome.

28 minutes ago, Dbl0svn said:

Dave,  I didn't make this setup to get into any sort of debate.  The airsafe hitch is a commercial Rv 5th wheel hitch.  If you have concerns about its performance in a role over scenario, then I would advise you to use your own judgement and choose what you believe to be best for you.

My plate is 5/8" and is mated to the 5/8" of the airsafe hitch plate for approximately 1.25" of combined steel plate.  The out riggers are bolted on the factory hitch rails with the multiple fastener system used for an 80k trailer combination. 

My.opinion would be that if you find yourself in a roll over scenario, regardless of whether the hitch holds together, or not, it's probably not going to matter too much on the outcome.

Howdy Dbl0svn,

Like I said, I do NOT want to start a mess in your thread.  I think you did a great job of the install I am just wondering about the single pivot point being the only visible attachment point between the part that holds the hitch head and the part that forms the base of the hitch.  I am NOT saying your choice of hitch is in any way wrong, I am just wondering about its design as compared to every other hitch on the market that I am aware of.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, noteven said:

I use CAD* myself from time to time. Nice set up.

* Cardboard Aided Design

Sick minds think alike....  When my 16 y.o. Grandson and I built the chocks, ramp mounts, and bed extension to haul the smart, lotsa cardboard got cut up, and several pieces of soap stone got worn out.

.He was a happy boy, getting to play with granpa's Milwaukee metal saw, plasma, and mig.  I even gave him a beer and a cigar when we finished.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dave,  You may be better to have airsafe answer your questions regarding their hitch, since I have not crash tested it.  The Airsafe 32k hitch is suspended by the front heim joint and two 5/8" bars underneath between the air bags.  

I chose this hitch since it has the ability to control the roll of the trailer with the air bags verses other hitches that use a free floating pivoting head.  Commercial trailers use the tractors fixed side to side 5th wheel to force the tractors supension to control it's roll.

The rv pin boxes typically don't tolerate that much stress, so rv hitch makers use a free floating head that provides no directional stability other than that provided by the trailer axles.  They work great in a straight line and low speed maneuvering,  but at higher speeds they will allow the trailer to tilt far enough for the wheels to leave the ground before they run out of flexible.range

The Airsafe 32k is always applying pressure through the air bags to control the roll while still retaining the integrity of the rv pinbox.

That was why I chose the Airsafe.  

Feel free to use whatever hitch addresses your needs best.

1 minute ago, Dbl0svn said:

Dave,  You may be better to have airsafe answer your questions regarding their hitch, since I have not crash tested it.  The Airsafe 32k hitch is suspended by the front heim joint and two 5/8" bars underneath between the air bags.  

I chose this hitch since it has the ability to control the yaw of the trailer with the air bags verses other hitches that use a free floating pivoting head.  Commercial trailers use the tractors fixed side to side 5th wheel to force the ttactprs supension to control it's yaw.  

The rv pin boxes typically don't tolerate that much stress, so rv hitch makers use a free floating head that provides no directional stability other than that provided by the trailer axles.  They work great in a straight line and low speed maneuvering,  but at higher speeds they will allow the trailer to tilt far enough for the wheels to.leav the ground before they run out of flexible.range

The Airsafe 32k is always applying pressure through the air bags to control the yaw while still retainingbthe integrity of the rv pinbox.

That was why I chose the Airsafe.  

Feel free to use whatever hitch addresses your needs best.

Howdy Dbl0svn,

Again, please do NOT misconstrue my question, if it's rated at 32,000 pounds it must be a good hitch.  I am not finding fault with your choice I just wish there was more information showing how its built as its a very unusual design and I am sure when ever you go to a rally for example lots of folks are going to be looking at the hitch and wondering the same as I am.  I went to the Airsafe web site and they don't really have any information or drawings showing how other then the front pivot point the hitch is supported and held in place.  I am sure it will serve you well, oh before I forget WELCOME to the HDT list most of us are always looking at new things and reworking old stuff so questions are a big part of what this list is all about.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived