780 trans not shifting .

Little

Thanks to all for the 'guessing'. Swapped in a throttle pedal assembly from a welding supply truck, and all was well. Put the assembly back in the 'donor' truck and ordered a new one from Vanguard. Supposed to be in tomorrow. That should take care of this problem. I should add that new batteries and clean connections caused the problem to be less frequent, but the pedal swap caused problems to disappear. Thanks to all.  Mark

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

• 2 months later...

Some more info about this. Had the SM code pop up leaving home. Took to Vangard (Volvo) they dicked with it for 4 hr. No clue. Was driveable and they weren't real interested. Took it to Northwest Equipment in Twin Falls and they were great. Turns out the brake switch under the plastic dash panels was loose. These guys have a give a sh!t factor. On the road again with everything working. Best experience with a truck shop in a long time.

Phil, when you had yours towed, did it just die and stuck in gear? I was cruising along fine, went to stop and truck stalled out. Trans did not clutch in at stop. No lights on shifter at all or display. So can’t start truck since it can’t see neutral. Can’t roll forward as it is in gear. I’m thinking it is the power module. Thoughts?

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

In the end that is what mine did....took many cycles of the key before it "woke up" and let me limp back to the campground. I had it towed from there. Before that it would act up on occasion but wouldn't last long.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Luckily, it died right in front of my trailer at the rally. We are thinking it is the power converter since no power to the cobra head and nothing is happening. I’ll be at the shop first thing in morn. Hope their computer verifies. 

Of course it happened before I backed in to the site, blocking my neighbors. Big thanks to Mr. David, Pat, and Ross who came over to help out and try to diagnose. 

And big thanks to Mr  Tommy who got my ABS light to go off so it would auto shift after a year. I had forgotten what it was like to just drive.

and thanks to Mr  Phil, I have the $466 converter ready to order if that is what is dead.

ED1qGCkl.jpg

19 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Wish we could have gotten you moving but sometimes, the big flashing truck needs to be called. Let us know how it comes out.

Will do. I'll be there first thing in morn. Appreciate your help.

Shannon

Thats what happened to us in Jackpot NV. Wouldn't shift down and died in Cactus Pete's parking lot. Batteries were bad. They were new from Vangard.  Turns out one battery was shorted internally.  No codes no nothing. Took the batteries from RV and got it running by jumping starter posts. Drove to Twin Falls with the SM showing on the monitor. Over 100 codes in the computer.

We are in Cranbrook B.C. now with no issues. One needs everything working in MT., especially over Lolo  We came the 93 all the way from Las Vegas. Cruise hasn't worked since we got the 780, but works now. Total cost for batteries, starter,and diagnostics was  under $1400.  8 hr in the shop,  Like a different truck with everything working.

I found the diagnostic manual online and printed it out. Handed it to the service manager and I even marked the electrical diagnostic pages so they didn't have to flip through 100 pages to get there. If I would have found this before the tow truck came, I think we could have diagnosed. 

Mr. Al's truck got in ahead of mine. Hopefully they get mine in and diagnosed today so we can get stuff ordered if needed. 

Shannon

Hope they get it figured out quickly.....and inexpensively.

Doesn't it just suck watching your baby getting towed??

DSC_0128.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

BTW, here is the link to the full maintenance and diagnostic manual for the freedomline trans. It is 292 pages, so if you print it out, do double-sided. :)

https://www.zf.com/usa_canada/media/zfmig_united_states/zfmig_corporate_replacement_parts_1/zfmig_service_portfolio/zfmig_class8/mm0150.pdf

just back from the shop. He was grateful that I provided the diagnostic manual to him as he has never seen a freedomline trans before. I even had the troubleshooting section for the doubler marked so he didn't have to page through 100 pages to find it. 

The 30 amp fuse to the trans that is supposedly on the battery bank (according to manual), in my case, is in the engine bay, right by the steering shaft. The fuse was blown. Replaced and it immediately blew again. Unplugged the voltage doubler, replaced the fuse, and all was well (at lease shift tower lit up). Plugged in voltage doubler and it immediately blew again. Doubler also smells burnt. So ordered a new one via Phil's link. (Thanks Phil.) Will be here tomorrow. 

Good news is since I had a windshield leak, I cut out the entire center section of the carpet as it was moldy and have not put in a new carpet kit yet, so it was easy to get to the tunnel cover. He was grateful he didn't have to take the entire front cab apart to get to the tunnel cover. Probably saved me two hours of shop time too. Now I need to find a rubber carpet kit for the front cab section. I don't want carpet. Probably a dealer only item? Any pointers greatly appreciated on where to source. 

When I replaced the factory Volvo mat it was a dealer only item.

And the bottom side is gold plated I think, judging from the price.

2014 smart Fortwo

30 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Shannon,

Glad to see it will be a quick fix, not as cheap as a fuse but still, it could have been a lot worse.

David

Keeping fingers crossed. All conjecture right now until we plug it in and test!

Bonus, they are doing full oil and all filter change cheaper than Speedco while it is sitting there today. Just got shipping confirmation, less than two hours after ordering. 

Archived