780 trans not shifting .

Little

I think this may have been discussed before, maybe even by me but couldn't find it with search.

'04 780 with d12 and freedomline. We drove the Volvo to MT to pick up some horses to take to AZ for the winter. First 80 miles with no trailer we had no issues. Got to the farm and hooked up, loaded and headed for the highway. Error code sm and trans is in 6th gear. Stop at highway and turn rt. all good. Down the hill into town, same thing, sm, so I coast to a stop and trans stays in 12th till we get stopped, then it shifts back to 4th.  Still says sm on the dash screen. So I try to shift it up/ dome using the paddle and all seems ok. Called ahead to Casper but they were too busy to look at it so we drove straight thru to Wickenburg. Got here about 4 pm unloaded and unhooked. Took it bobtail down the Vulture Mine road, same thing, sometimes it worked ok, then 'sm' code and only shift manual. Any ideas before I take it to PHX for them to tell me its a loose wire that could have been detected myself. Only a bit over hr. in but a crappy drive. Thanks in advance, Mark

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I got the SM (service module)and stuck in 6th, it was a bad/ intermittent  connection from the battery bank to the 'doubler'

that is what the volvo tech said ,redid the connector no  trouble since  it has been 6 years.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

I had same problems, cleaned all connections from battery to the to the transmission, check for corroded connections and replace them.

use dielectric grease on your repaired connections if you need to replace them, which I would do anyway.

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

Should I see a plug of some sort on the trans??  Parked in the dirt last night so will need to get it up to the hard ground. I also need to check the batteries and connections. I cleaned them early fall and i battery was slightly lower volts than others when cables were removed. Batteries are 5 yr old but have had pretty good maintenance. 

Thanks guys for the tips.

If you stop by  the north ranch I would donate a beer.     Now I have seen that issue when the trans computer is not registering the modulating valve at the rear axle. Ended up being the wiring harness between the two.

Has the truck been singled?

Now I had a tough day so it is beeeeer time,.   Vern

I had similar problem. 2004 VNL630 d12 w/Freedomline. Seemed to only do it once the speed leveled off. Also noticed the shift timing was way off. Like going through a small town at 30mph in 16th gear. 

I finally replaced the throttle position sensor, which Volvo no longer carried just the $20 sensor, so it's about $150 for the accelerator pedal w/sensor. Took all of 10 minutes to replace and it drives like a new truck.

The computer just couldn't communicate with the throttle pedal anymore to know where it was, so it went into SM until you let off the pedal to slow down and then it would correct itself. From my research, it sounds like a common problem even in cars. But with a truck that has had the throttle at the same spot for hundreds of thousands of miles, it just gets dead spots in the sensor.

If you are going to stop by call before as I am out working a fair amount. Yes still working.

I maybe just down the street or in Stanton.

Will be in Wickenburg Friday afternoon and on Saturday .

My number is 406-250-8861

Safe Travels,.   Vern

On 2/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, ctsedlak said:

I had similar problem. 2004 VNL630 d12 w/Freedomline. Seemed to only do it once the speed leveled off. Also noticed the shift timing was way off. Like going through a small town at 30mph in 16th gear. 

I finally replaced the throttle position sensor, which Volvo no longer carried just the $20 sensor, so it's about $150 for the accelerator pedal w/sensor. Took all of 10 minutes to replace and it drives like a new truck.

The computer just couldn't communicate with the throttle pedal anymore to know where it was, so it went into SM until you let off the pedal to slow down and then it would correct itself. From my research, it sounds like a common problem even in cars. But with a truck that has had the throttle at the same spot for hundreds of thousands of miles, it just gets dead spots in the sensor.

This may be our trouble. Disconnected the batteries and load tested. 2 were weak. Changed all 4 kept 2 for spares. Cleaned all the connections, 2 smaller + had a wee bit of green. Loaded 4 horses for Maricopa and took off. Worked perfectly for few miles then SM. Let off the throttle a bit and all good. Kept this routine up for the 90 mile trip. Annoying but not a big deal. I will get a TPS tomorrow if possible, maybe Mon. Thanks for the tip.Mark

Little,
The Freedomline is a 24v transmission. It has a voltage doubler mounted on top. It is about the size of a car stereo amp. If I remember correct it has 4 (maybe 3) plugs going into it. I am not a mechanic but if your 12v is low, could that affect the doubler?? 
My voltage doubler went out on me a few years ago. It started out not shifting as you accelerated. The SM error would come on and it would stay in the gear it was in...same when I stopped. Give it a few minutes and it would straighten itself out. It seemed to get better as it warmed up...until the day it say "uh..no". Had it towed to the Volvo dealer in Kansas who diagnosed it and said "The doubler is $1200 and we can have one tomorrow". I found it online for $500 including overnight shipping and the dealer installed it, "but we won't warranty it". They hooked their computer up after the install and pronounced my problem solved. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ok some of this could be explained by my nfg batteries. However we put new ones in and trans shifting was better. Took awhile but eventually coded sm. Touched the throttle up/down lightly and back to good. Acted up twice on a 20 mile test. Here's hoping its the $100 tps rather than doubler but that will be the next thing to try. Volvo in PHX didn't have a tps in stock but ordered 1 in.  Thanks for the help

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Big5er.... can you share with us your source of the voltage doubler?   

http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_41222_DC_to_DC_Converter_p/sp-41222.htm

2014 smart Fortwo

When I pulled the floor access panel the doubler had a label with the part number ZF 41222. How I actually found this one I do not recall. The original thread about it has disappeared from the forum.  

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil when we pulled the access panel didn't the doubler sit right on top of the transmission? It was a while ago and I don't remember. Did we pull the passenger seat and slide it to the back and then peel up the carpet to get to the access panel.

Damn I miss my mind.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

As mentioned on the other board, you would save yourself a lot of grief if you went into an authorized Eaton service center and have them plug their computer into your trans..  we can guess all day here ...

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

3 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Phil when we pulled the access panel didn't the doubler sit right on top of the transmission? It was a while ago and I don't remember. Did we pull the passenger seat and slide it to the back and then peel up the carpet to get to the access panel.

Damn I miss my mind.

Brad

Your mind isn't that far gone Brad. You are 100% correct. We moved the seat, just so we could pull the mat back and get to the access panel. Of course I was told later that any "good" mechanic can change out the doubler from the bottom. Guess we aren't "good"..or mechanics for that for that matter. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 2/12/2018 at 12:44 PM, NoDirectionHome said:

Dang! For a 12V to 24V 10 Amp converter, that thing is expensive!

I called 3 different Volvo dealers. None had it in stock but they wanted $1100-1300 for it. For what that one cost, even with overnight shipping, I was real happy. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived