Progressive bait and switch.

chief916

Ok.... starting our 3rd year with progressive on insuring our TH.  They've been doing well so far on coverage but now here's the rub...they just sent me a email to renew next month but now it's like a hundred and fifty dollars more.  They did the same thing a couple of years ago on my Harley.  When I called them back then and asked why the increase....they said some garbage about having to recoop from others who were not making their payments....whatever that means...I said no thanks and went another company that was referred to me from USAA..my auto company...cause they did not do motorcycles..to foremost ins by AARP.  NOW........2 years later this progressive company raises my rates just the same way they did on my scooter.  Can anyone give me the name of or recommend an insurance company that won't jerk me around and start jacking prices up on a depreciating item?  I've had it with progressive when it comes to motor scooters and toy hauler.  Would really appreciate any sound advice you have to offer.  Obtw....I have a perfect driving record since I was 16 and am now 65 and excellent credit so they can't say I was a bum with bad creds and lousy driver skills.  Thanks for any advice you all have to offer.

Sorry that you have had so much trouble with them.  I have had my boat, bike and RVs insured with them for over 15 years with no issues.  But it is good to shop your rates around every couple of years.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I have had this exact same issue with Progressive. When we first signed up, the rate was very good. The next year when renewal came around, they raised the rate considerably. No explanation. It seems this is common practice with them now. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

55 minutes ago, chuckbear said:

I have had this exact same issue with Progressive. When we first signed up, the rate was very good. The next year when renewal came around, they raised the rate considerably. No explanation. It seems this is common practice with them now. Chuck

It's pretty common practice in just about any business .

Initial price is a 'come on' . Any following will be higher rate .

Goes around , comes around .

I work with auto insurance companies on a daily basis.  

By far the two worst insurance companies to deal with on getting a claim paid are  GEICO and Progressive.  Ironically these two seem to have the biggest advertising budget with characters, animation and childish antics. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I use Miller also and they got me with Allied a division of Nationwide. I have 3 rentals, my RV, Jeep,a Harley and an Umbrella Policy with them. Rates do go up but i have stayed with them because i like everything with one company wrapped u with the Umbrella. 

When I was still practicing law the worst insurance companies to settle a claim were AAA, followed by Progressive. AAA even fought me while representing their own insured on uninsured motorist claims.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

14 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Are you eligible for USAA? They shunt motorhomes to Progressive, now, but still insure towables.

Rob

They also pass 5th wheels.  My truck  and car are with USAA and they transferred me to Progressive on my 5th wheel quote.

Many of the auto/RV insurance companies, will, if you are switching to them from some other insurance company, give you a discount and then over time they will increase your rates when you renew. They must want your business for them to do that. All you can do is to shop around. 

7 hours ago, whj469 said:

Many of the auto/RV insurance companies, will, if you are switching to them from some other insurance company, give you a discount and then over time they will increase your rates when you renew. They must want your business for them to do that. All you can do is to shop around. 

So much for loyalty discounts. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 1/10/2018 at 1:51 AM, rynosback said:

They also pass 5th wheels.  My truck  and car are with USAA and they transferred me to Progressive on my 5th wheel quote.

As my youngest grandson would say, "That's just weird!" USAA didn't hesitate to insure our fiver and contents - and they know we're full-timing.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 1/9/2018 at 11:21 AM, Second Chance said:

Are you eligible for USAA? They shunt motorhomes to Progressive, now, but still insure towables.

Rob

Great news......took your advice and called USAA and ended up with adding my coach to my auto policy and went from over 700+ to around 400+....what a deal.  Thanks Rob.

16 hours ago, Second Chance said:

As my youngest grandson would say, "That's just weird!" USAA didn't hesitate to insure our fiver and contents - and they know we're full-timing.

Rob

I just resigned back up with USAA with in the past 6 months.  I was quoted my truck and car and then they transferred me to a rep at Progressive for my 5ver qoute.  I think they give us a discounted rate because of USAA.  It also could vary depending on what state you are domiciles at.  I am at out South Dakota.

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

I just resigned back up with USAA with in the past 6 months.  I was quoted my truck and car and then they transferred me to a rep at Progressive for my 5ver qoute.  I think they give us a discounted rate because of USAA.  It also could vary depending on what state you are domiciles at.  I am at out South Dakota.

Call them...usaa... Back up and explain that you tow the 5er with your pov.  Right at this time...12 Jan 2018 they only push the class A's to progressive.  Your 5er and THs can be binded by usaa.  Keep us posted.

46 minutes ago, chief916 said:

Right at this time...12 Jan 2018 they only push the class A's to progressive.  Your 5er and THs can be binded by usaa.  Keep us posted.

That is very state dependant. What happens in one state may not happen in another. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

That is very state dependant. What happens in one state may not happen in another. 

You are absolutely correct but if you don't ask....how would you ever know.  A lot of times when I see how you guys in TX and sd do things like the registration on you rigs I think...gosh...wish I could do that.  I pulled my Harley from progressive 3 years ago cause they started jacking the rates up.  I talked to usaa and they wouldn't cover the bike.  When I bought my TH 3 yrs ago I was told by usaa that I had to go with progressive...so I did.  Started out around $600. Per year the next it was up to around $700 and this year closer to $800 give or take. Then when Rob told me about usaa shunting the class As over to progressive I just had to call.  The lady did indeed say what you just said and she said let me check a little further and then she asked me when I wanted to start the coverage.  Now I've been with usaa a long time and I just figured that what was done was done but cause they had pushed me to progressive initially but now they've changed.

4 hours ago, chief916 said:

You are absolutely correct but if you don't ask....how would you ever know.  A lot of times when I see how you guys in TX and sd do things like the registration on you rigs I think...gosh...wish I could do that.  I pulled my Harley from progressive 3 years ago cause they started jacking the rates up.  I talked to usaa and they wouldn't cover the bike.  When I bought my TH 3 yrs ago I was told by usaa that I had to go with progressive...so I did.  Started out around $600. Per year the next it was up to around $700 and this year closer to $800 give or take. Then when Rob told me about usaa shunting the class As over to progressive I just had to call.  The lady did indeed say what you just said and she said let me check a little further and then she asked me when I wanted to start the coverage.  Now I've been with usaa a long time and I just figured that what was done was done but cause they had pushed me to progressive initially but now they've changed.

But I did not need to ask.  As I was speaking with a Progressive agent that is licensed in South Dakota.  So they knew what state I was out of.

10 hours ago, chief916 said:

Call them...usaa... Back up and explain that you tow the 5er with your pov.  Right at this time...12 Jan 2018 they only push the class A's to progressive.  Your 5er and THs can be binded by usaa.  Keep us posted.

Is there any other way to transport a 5ver then with my truck?

Archived