You know you are a HD truck person when....

noteven

This is fer fun - 

You know you are a heavy duty truck geek when: 

You and a buddy can be standing with your back to the little upgrade on the road and you can guess 90% of the truck power by the sound it makes: Cummins ISX!  Cat C15! Paccar MX! Volvo D13! Detroit Series 60! 

or on those special days: Mack Superliner!  The M11 of Dollytrolley fame! Cummins NTC Big Cam! Cat V8 (OMG)! KTA! 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Knott,

Shucks my hearing is so bad I seldom know if the ole M11 is running or knot......Jack has the M11 ear-here it seems since he put a lot of hours on the clock with his first HDT M11.........

My left ear suffers from prop-noise-hearing-loss from two skinny little twins where the prop tips were REALLY close to the pilots left ear or the copilot right ear so........both of my ears are trash......

Now I do have a hearing-aid named Dollymomma.......and just as we were moving back and forth to get out of our nightmare parking space in Bend on our last trip she herd a tiny-itty-bitty exhaust leak in the Trolly so..........I shut down and crawled under the darn rig and it took a while but I found a hairline crack where the joker who installed a THREE inch long piece of flex where the pipe crosses over the frame........UUUG..........so.........I unlock the shop and shear off a 5" wide X 20" piece of .032" 321 stainless and rolled it into a 5" coil and the grabbed three 6" heavy SS marine Eshaust clamps and installed the "band-aid" over the flex ........."hillbilly-scab-cobble" fore sure but at least my "hearing-aid" approved..........now of course I have the task of making a real repair.........UUUG.......

Silence is golden.......except with exhaust leaks......

Drive on..........(what did you say........?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

When a pretty girl with big boobs, long legs and an amazing body, wearing a micro dress, bends over in front of you right when a decked out custom Volvo 780 pulls up in front of you......and ...... never mind, I don't like trucks that much...:ph34r:

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

You missed one. The unique sound of a 2 cycle Detroit Diesel, something like a 318 in say a 1973 IH 4070. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

10 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

When a pretty girl with big boobs, long legs and an amazing body, wearing a micro dress, bends over in front of you right when a decked out custom Volvo 780 pulls up in front of you......and ...... never mind, I don't like trucks that much...:ph34r:

BUT... In Vegas you have to pay to play..... 

Wait a minute..... Trucks are the same way too......

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

16 hours ago, beyerjf said:

You missed one. The unique sound of a 2 cycle Detroit Diesel, something like a 318 in say a 1973 IH 4070. 

I was going to bore everyone posting the list of 2 cycle DD's I have actually drove at some time - but I much prefer the sound of them driving by once in a while now :D.  

Note to the listeners: Jeff posted a cab over ^

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

VegasFlyer I can't believe VT was allowed out of school to travel with you. 

I'm also his Probation Officer.....so....B)

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

BUT... In Vegas you have to pay to play..... 

Wait a minute..... Trucks are the same way too......

You know what they say: "If it Flies, Floats or ........

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

You know what they say: "If it Flies, Floats or ........

Ok VF I am ratting you out to your Probat-Officeeeer.........your spending way too much time over the hill in Sin-City.......

When they turn the FAA over to a private contractor next week......... you can just work from home in P-Town where some of the girls don't have Blue-Pink hair and piston rings for navel piercings.........

Drive on..........(VF needs re-current training ......out of sin--city)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, noteven said:

:D love it phoenix

Are the Russians interfereing with private HDT insurance ?

It's Al Gore, he wants to save Polar Bears and our HDT's have way too big of a carbon footprint.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

One of the "veterans" of this forum remembered that there was a previous part (sort of pre-quell) to the above "literary gem". He lost it due to a failure of an old hard drive and asked if I could provide it to him. It occurred to me why not share it with all.

I must come clean here and explain that these were "composed" close to ten years ago when I was also a "newly minted" HDT owner, pretty militant about my "new status" and full of contempt for the LGT crowd, in spite of being an owner of three 1 ton pickups for more than 20 years prior. How quickly we forget and grow smug. I remember receiving considerable heat from the pickup owners upon its publication, but I have "matured" and have grown more tolerant. Here it goes.

Fundamentalist religion, virgins, puberty and F-350s

Those of us who have become the veteran pullers who "graduated" to HDTs are often stymied by the recalcitrant attitudes and refusal to listen to reason, examples, statistics, specs, etc. Suffer no longer I have a "rational explanation".
I am known among my friends to be both an "amateur psychologist" and a comedian. I felt that combining those two skills could be the "ticket", which brings us to items in the title of the thread.

Those who wish to pull big rigs with pickups view that as a "fundamental right" based on lack of forbidding laws, Detroit's encouragement and superior skills honed by years of practice.
My "take" on fundamentalist religion is that it comprises strong core beliefs, constantly reinforced. That's why it's so difficult to "reprogram" those who have fallen into its grasp or were kidnapped by any cult. The high priests of Detroit through the megaphones of TV reinforce this hour on the hour with glorious pictures of pickups falling out airplanes and stopping 30,000 behemoths, or with trucks racing towards precipice and stopping with inches to spare. No wonder the "believers" are willing to straps their kids to the seats of the F-250s and F-350s and take them onto New Jersey turnpike or the New York Thruway.
Heck, I believe that should the sales drop because of safety concerns, Detroit would promise 40 virgins to those who might arrive at that Big Campground in the Sky in their F-350 or Toyota Tundra.
Since I mentioned virgins it dovetails into subject innocence and puberty. Pulling with pickups is in my opinion the puberty of RVing. Having myself pulled with four pickups over a period of 30 years I can only explain it as a case of arrested development.
During those 20 years I could vociferously argue about my abilities with a pickup, my great "skills" with a pickup and many other "theories". Not unlike the "discussions" (if you guys can remember that far back) with your fellow virgins of how it would be to be with the member of the opposite sex before one had the chance. Not having "experience" with more "capable partners" robs one of the necessary frame of reference for factual comparison. And those of you who are on second or third go around in the marital arena can attest that a relationship can be quite disappointing if the partner reveals lack of skills or abilities which you were expecting but which were never there from the beginning.
Having graduated to MDTs and HDTs has elevated my "experience" to a whole new plateau. These vehicles were truly capable "partners" to my RVing enjoyment, capable of doing their part, not requiring special care, or elevated skills.
I had the misfortune of pulling with a very nicely appointed pickup (again) for a year until the HDT was ready. It felt every day like that "error in judgment" made by some of us picking up a "trophy wife". The looks might be there but not much beyond that. And the stress of that "relationship", forget it!

So to conclude my thesis as an "amateur psychologist" and using marital comparison with which most of us are familiar the situation is as follows: Those who pull with pickups just emerged from RV puberty and are in their first marriage. They feel that they chose "wisely" but the doubts are emerging. The partner is lacking, is financially irresponsible (demanding computer chips, engines upgrades, transmission upgrades, brakes, etc.), but you still want to keep her because she's good looking. And here come these nasty HDT guys acting like marriage counselors and telling you that your only solution is a divorce. After you consider what the divorce is going to cost, you realize that you are "stuck" while they relentlessly showcase their partners and tell you about the “superiority” of their partners!

It is particularly galling when they do it in front of your wife who is barely on board that this is the “best there is” and still not over the fact that you spent $60K ON A PICKUP!

31 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

One of the "veterans" of this forum remembered that there was a previous part (sort of pre-quell) to the above "literary gem". He lost it due to a failure of an old hard drive and asked if I could provide it to him. It occurred to me why not share it with all.

I must come clean here and explain that these were "composed" close to ten years ago when I was also a "newly minted" HDT owner, pretty militant about my "new status" and full of contempt for the LGT crowd, in spite of being an owner of three 1 ton pickups for more than 20 years prior. How quickly we forget and grow smug. I remember receiving considerable heat from the pickup owners upon its publication, but I have "matured" and have grown more tolerant. Here it goes.

Fundamentalist religion, virgins, puberty and F-350s

Those of us who have become the veteran pullers who "graduated" to HDTs are often stymied by the recalcitrant attitudes and refusal to listen to reason, examples, statistics, specs, etc. Suffer no longer I have a "rational explanation".
I am known among my friends to be both an "amateur psychologist" and a comedian. I felt that combining those two skills could be the "ticket", which brings us to items in the title of the thread.

Those who wish to pull big rigs with pickups view that as a "fundamental right" based on lack of forbidding laws, Detroit's encouragement and superior skills honed by years of practice.
My "take" on fundamentalist religion is that it comprises strong core beliefs, constantly reinforced. That's why it's so difficult to "reprogram" those who have fallen into its grasp or were kidnapped by any cult. The high priests of Detroit through the megaphones of TV reinforce this hour on the hour with glorious pictures of pickups falling out airplanes and stopping 30,000 behemoths, or with trucks racing towards precipice and stopping with inches to spare. No wonder the "believers" are willing to straps their kids to the seats of the F-250s and F-350s and take them onto New Jersey turnpike or the New York Thruway.
Heck, I believe that should the sales drop because of safety concerns, Detroit would promise 40 virgins to those who might arrive at that Big Campground in the Sky in their F-350 or Toyota Tundra.
Since I mentioned virgins it dovetails into subject innocence and puberty. Pulling with pickups is in my opinion the puberty of RVing. Having myself pulled with four pickups over a period of 30 years I can only explain it as a case of arrested development.
During those 20 years I could vociferously argue about my abilities with a pickup, my great "skills" with a pickup and many other "theories". Not unlike the "discussions" (if you guys can remember that far back) with your fellow virgins of how it would be to be with the member of the opposite sex before one had the chance. Not having "experience" with more "capable partners" robs one of the necessary frame of reference for factual comparison. And those of you who are on second or third go around in the marital arena can attest that a relationship can be quite disappointing if the partner reveals lack of skills or abilities which you were expecting but which were never there from the beginning.
Having graduated to MDTs and HDTs has elevated my "experience" to a whole new plateau. These vehicles were truly capable "partners" to my RVing enjoyment, capable of doing their part, not requiring special care, or elevated skills.
I had the misfortune of pulling with a very nicely appointed pickup (again) for a year until the HDT was ready. It felt every day like that "error in judgment" made by some of us picking up a "trophy wife". The looks might be there but not much beyond that. And the stress of that "relationship", forget it!

So to conclude my thesis as an "amateur psychologist" and using marital comparison with which most of us are familiar the situation is as follows: Those who pull with pickups just emerged from RV puberty and are in their first marriage. They feel that they chose "wisely" but the doubts are emerging. The partner is lacking, is financially irresponsible (demanding computer chips, engines upgrades, transmission upgrades, brakes, etc.), but you still want to keep her because she's good looking. And here come these nasty HDT guys acting like marriage counselors and telling you that your only solution is a divorce. After you consider what the divorce is going to cost, you realize that you are "stuck" while they relentlessly showcase their partners and tell you about the “superiority” of their partners!

It is particularly galling when they do it in front of your wife who is barely on board that this is the “best there is” and still not over the fact that you spent $60K ON A PICKUP!

Whew........Henry......U  R  Dah  Man...........I darn sure could-dah NOT said-it-better-my-self.......god I love it when U  use dem big words........

Drive on............(Henry for...........POTUS......he's got my vote)

This is for true newbies.

"How do you recognize contracting a case of HGTitis"?

1. You take out a subscription to the Truck Paper

2. You take your diesel pickup to Lowe's, or Flying J and put fuel in it on the semis' fueling side.

3. For your anniversary you take your bride to Denny's at Flying J and try to engage truckers in conversation.

Can you guys offer other symptoms?

Your wife starts pointing out the different brands/models of trucks as you drive the Interstate. When she can differentiate a Volvo 670 from an 780 at a distance, you KNOW you are in trouble.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 6/3/2017 at 3:22 PM, VegasFlyer said:

I'm also his Probation Officer.....so....B)

O.K I have to get in on this one now!!!!!!

So Flyer oversees a lot of what I do and say. Flyer was my dog trainer and now my trainer to the world of Semi's. It is amazing that I am let out of school to do things with him or that my wife let's me go out unsupervised when Flyer comes calling. However we need to give Flyer a full ration of $h!* for anything possible. You see I am the nice well mannered friend who never notices another female ever. I only see the Semi in the picture because that is what my wife would want me to see.

Speaking of school, I only have 3 more days with students left then it is summer vacation, You do not know how excited I am at this point.

Later,

Cory O

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

You see I am the nice well mannered friend who never notices another female ever.

It's a sure sign of old age................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

5 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Your wife starts pointing out the different brands/models of trucks as you drive the Interstate. When she can differentiate a Volvo 670 from an 780 at a distance, you KNOW you are in trouble.

Yes, you know you're in trouble when she can differentiate a Pete from a KW or Volvo AND knows the model number.  Also I began to worry when she fell in love with the International Lonestar (which she nicknamed a Gargoyle after the character in Batman) and said it was better looking than me.  What's wrong with an old, balding, fat man?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yes, you know you're in trouble when she can differentiate a Pete from a KW or Volvo AND knows the model number.  Also I began to worry when she fell in love with the International Lonestar (which she nicknamed a Gargoyle after the character in Batman) and said it was better looking than me.  What's wrong with an old, balding, fat man?

Carl,

That just means a Lone star looks better than you. No hard feelings but they are a LOT younger than an old man and they can pull a tree over instead of letting it fall on them.?

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

Archived