Soliciting Ideas

SuiteSuccess

Let me give some background.  My wife has one knee that really gives her fits from an old athletic injury in high school.  Will eventually need a total knee replacement but her orthopedist (and she) want to wait and try conservative treatments until no longer possible.  Recently climbing in and out of the HDT has really aggravated the situation to the point we were considering selling the rig and going to a class A or truck conversion.  We found a Class A locally and tried it out with the final test being a highway drive.  Summary, we just didn't like it and both decided we are keeping the HDT.  Not interested in Class C or B's at this time.

So to the problem.  We are considering just carrying a small step ladder in the cab she could ingress and egress the truck but that is less than ideal and not real stable.  RickW added two extra steps but it is the vertical climb that hurts her the most.  I would like to have something that is like fold flat stairs that I could attach  to the truck that would be accessible from inside the cab and retractable once inside, but would be aesthetically pleasing and not look like it was cobbled onto the existing steps.  Kudos to Henry on his hydraulic scissor lift for Mike Council but not interested in going that complicated.  Extendable electric (or mechanical) stairs that appear out of a trap door might be an option.  I have nothing permanent under the fairing on the passenger side except the frame where an APU would sit.  I am hoping some of you mechanical minds might like to tackle this problem and give me some input.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Having been through a knee replacement and scheduling a 2nd I would recommend she get it done. Since you are happy with your truck and the only problem is the knee use a step laldder or step for now. A trick I learned with my knee was "up with the good, down with the bad" for going up and down steps. One step at a time. 

This is a quality of life issue and she will be so much happier with a new knee. If she is having this much problem now she may be damaging the other knee or the hip by compensating. Find a more cooperative doctor. I held out with my first knee for many years, second knee the decision was much faster. My doctor says it is up to me to make the decision when, not him. Same thing with cataracts, years ago the decision was made by the doctor to do cataracts when they were "ripe". No longer, you, the patient makes the decision as to when................

Have her PM me if she wants to chat.

DW

Once when we were having our MOR/ryde suspension worked on, we noticed a power step that MOR/ryde was working on.  It mounted on the fuel tank under the passenger side of the cab.  It was a single step that raised from near the ground up to the cab.  It was rather compact but did require the person to hold on while standing on the step.

Mike Councils elevation platform gave a bigger area for using a walker.

I don't believe that MOR/ryde productized the power-step but you might contact them about it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ms. Chrissi has a fold out step on their Volvo "motorhome" if I recall. Search and you should find it. Or PM her.

As an aside - and without violating forum rules - we are thinking of producing the "in between" step that Rick (and others) have built for their HDTs. Any suggestions on that are welcome....or alternatives.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A mini lift gate mounted under the door instead of the complicated elevator on Mike Councils truck might be an option, another thought would be to fabricate a set of swing out steps like Freightliner used on the premium trim level Argosy tractors

I am looking at using RV auto foldout electric steps which would sit behind the fairing. I would leave the HDT top step as is, just adding steps to get to the ground.  The plan is for it to allow both the DW and pets to climb in and out of the HDT.  Just trying to figure out how to attach them to the fairing support rails and how to build an air-powered trapdoor into the existing fairing.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Thanks everyone.  May have found one solution.  Could fab an attachment point for these on the top step.  That way I could come around and attach and detach and store.  Will also contact Ms. Chrissi.  

SWharton appreciate the input but it is her decision to wait awhile.  Her orthopedist is not obstructionist at all.  In fact he told her she would tell him when she was ready for surgical intervention and he would watch her closely to prevent ancillary damage.  He is a good friend of ours and I have reasons outside of that friendship to trust his judgement.

K5Xhpg2l.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 minutes ago, DanBree said:

I am looking at using RV auto foldout electric steps which would sit behind the fairing. I would leave the HDT top step as is, just adding steps to get to the ground.  The plan is for it to allow both the DW and pets to climb in and out of the HDT.  Just trying to figure out how to attach them to the fairing support rails and how to build an air-powered trapdoor into the existing fairing.

Please let me know what you come up with.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On a totally different track---has anyone ever thought of a simple post & arm hoist mounted on the bed front corner that would swing around to beside the cab?  Mount a small platform to the end with a parallel linkage to keep it level.  Think a combination of those hoists they build for the back end of a pickup, and a manlift.  Use a electric/hydraulic pump to run it.    

Swing it forward and use it to lift up to the cab, then swing it back around to park along the side of the deck.

Farmers are "innovative" people, and its a dangerous occupation.  There are some pretty neat solutions already out there for getting disabled people up into a tractor or combine or grain truck.  I've seen something like the above suggestion, and also there is other stuff online.  Search "handicapped farm tractor lift" or some such....might give you some ideas.  Here is one:  http://www.coachlift.com/farm-lift/

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

There is one other alternative here.  If she has an occupational therapist, consult them on a way to enter and exit your truck.  It can be done guarding the injured knee.  

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

My wife (Judy) has had both knees replaced. We carried a small step ladder behind the passenger seat for 4 years.

It was a minor impediment in that it had to be deployed each time she mounted or dismounted. the truck.

Last year I made a 2 step addition similar to Rick W.'s and it has been a good addition.

Tell Donna not to take offence but maybe even the Pet Loader might work.  I think it might be Big5er that has one and keeps it in the right side compartment.  I don't  think you would have any trouble selling it when her knee is better.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

15 minutes ago, Bec484 said:

Go to YouTube and type in semi truck passenger hydraulic lift. This should solve you problem.

Bec484,

Thanks for the reply but if you look at my original post that video is Mike Council's hydraulic lift designed by Henry Szmyt.  I don't really want to get that complicated if I can avoid  it by a simpler solution, but thank you again for the help.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

We have the petloader steps shown on this site:

http://www.petloader.com/how-to-choose

They are very stable and it should be an easy fix to put them behind the fairings. I don't use ours now because the dogs have learned how to get in and out of the truck on their own but you are more than welcome to met up somewhere between the two of us and try them out to see if a stair like that would work. I usually kept mine in a compartment on the bed but I don't have the room behind the fairing like you have.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Not being silly here, but had a sudden thought about handicapped access issues & HDTs.  LOTS of semis out there, why are there no specific handicapped semi slots or rules?  There are extensive rules about handicapped accessiblity everywhere else...when is somebody going to demand this as well?  What would it entail?   Something like a airplane boarding ramp that would roll up to the semi and adjust to the door?  A raised berm "dock" that could be driven up beside & adjusted to the right height?  A special truck with scissors lift available in every truck stop?  

May sound extreme...but its well within the realm of possibility.   I even get it...a truck driver in an accident and loses the ability to walk, but can still drive.  Why should he be forced to lose his job?  

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl,

We have the petloader steps shown on this site:

http://www.petloader.com/how-to-choose

They are very stable and it should be an easy fix to put them behind the fairings. I don't use ours now because the dogs have learned how to get in and out of the truck on their own but you are more than welcome to met up somewhere between the two of us and try them out to see if a stair like that would work. I usually kept mine in a compartment on the bed but I don't have the room behind the fairing like you have.

David

David,

Thanks so much.  I measured to my truck step and it was 33".  The steps I posted the pics of are that height.  My thoughts are to mount a piece of angled aluminum at the top, drill some holes and connect when needed to the top step using these or something similar for stability.  I would probably not use an eye bolt.  Could unbolt, fold up and store.  Thoughts?  BTW the existing top step already has some round holes I could use.

goWGyzKl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Tell Donna not to take offence but maybe even the Pet Loader might work.  I think it might be Big5er that has one and keeps it in the right side compartment.  I don't  think you would have any trouble selling it when her knee is better.

Nigel

We use them also for of course the Great Danes but also for ease of getting up and down. They are wide and have big steps. Gregg has a video of them. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

6 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks everyone.  May have found one solution.  Could fab an attachment point for these on the top step.  That way I could come around and attach and detach and store.  Will also contact Ms. Chrissi.  

SWharton appreciate the input but it is her decision to wait awhile.  Her orthopedist is not obstructionist at all.  In fact he told her she would tell him when she was ready for surgical intervention and he would watch her closely to prevent ancillary damage.  He is a good friend of ours and I have reasons outside of that friendship to trust his judgement.

K5Xhpg2l.jpg

2 yrs ago, I dealt with the guy in Oregon who makes these steps or stairs.  He will custom make them to your requirements within reason.  In my case, the fold up, lock and slide back into the rear storage compartment.  The idea was to be able get up on the deck easier than pulling myself up using the car straps.  If you want a pic, I can send it, no charge.

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Nigel

What is the weight capacity of the four steps?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, jkennell said:

Not being silly here, but had a sudden thought about handicapped access issues & HDTs.  LOTS of semis out there, why are there no specific handicapped semi slots or rules?  There are extensive rules about handicapped accessiblity everywhere else...when is somebody going to demand this as well?  What would it entail?   Something like a airplane boarding ramp that would roll up to the semi and adjust to the door?  A raised berm "dock" that could be driven up beside & adjusted to the right height?  A special truck with scissors lift available in every truck stop?  

May sound extreme...but its well within the realm of possibility.   I even get it...a truck driver in an accident and loses the ability to walk, but can still drive.  Why should he be forced to lose his job?  

You are seeing more and more handicap parking spots in rest stops and truck stops . Plus if a lift is needed Medicare or insurance will pay to install a lift and if installed when purchased there are sales tax breaks on the vehicle, also a tax rebate if installed to a vehicle within a certain time period from purchased date at least in the state of Texas. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

1 minute ago, rdickinson said:

2 yrs ago, I dealt with the guy in Oregon who makes these steps or stairs.  He will custom make them to your requirements within reason.  In my case, the fold up, lock and slide back into the rear storage compartment.  The idea was to be able get up on the deck easier than pulling myself up using the car straps.  If you want a pic, I can send it, no charge.

I think the stock stairs will work just fine.  They adjust 31"-41".  Most of those listed as "RV folding or scissor stairs" can handle 250-300lbs.  I need that capacity (6'4" 235 lbs).  Wife is considerably lighter.  Don't know if the pet steps go that high in weight.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Talk to Henry about the new knees.  With the partial replacement/rebuild they are doing now, it might be worthwhile to look into it.  

Have you thought about putting a door thru the sleeper onto the deck?  That would open more options.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived