Soliciting Ideas

SuiteSuccess

4 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

David,

Thanks so much.  I measured to my truck step and it was 33".  The steps I posted the pics of are that height.  My thoughts are to mount a piece of angled aluminum at the top, drill some holes and connect when needed to the top step using these or something similar for stability.  I would probably not use an eye bolt.  Could unbolt, fold up and store.  Thoughts?  BTW the existing top step already has some round holes I could use.

goWGyzKl.jpg

Ummmm, left handed threads won't work well here.:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Ummmm, left handed threads won't work well here.:o

Guess quality control missed that before they advertised. ?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If I had those pieces in my hands, I'd likely not notice until I spent way too long trying to thread it together.  But in a drawing, it just jumped out at me.

Back on track, Jeff's correct.  There has been much written in the farm magazines about making equipment handicapped friendly. Good luck with your search.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Carl, sorry so late to the topic. The petloader is rated at 250 lbs. As Nigel says it fits in the compartment on my truck. When I was loading my lab/chow mix I walked up them many times. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm gonna be obtuse...When I talked to my bone guy in 2007, his final comment was "well, you're almost 60, your knee is already bone on bone, and you may get hit by a bus tomorrow. Your decision, but why be miserable." 

I can't recommend the replacement option enough. 10 years in and I have no issues other than a revulsion for scrubbing floors on hands and knees.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Those fold out steps look like a decent solution because if they cease to work for one or both of you, then getting in/out of your trailer won't be working either. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. I just pick up my lady like a bag of potatoes, climb up and put her in the truck. However, I do have a rope/pulley system with a sling if my back is bad. I would not put the same platform lift I presently use on the trailer again, but rather heavily modify an air jack cylinder and make a lift out of it. A lot less to go wrong.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

Carl, I believe you and I have the same side space under that passenger seat.  If you will notice (and this is where it probably differs) I can remove the top step and surrounding fiberglass.  There is plenty of space to have one of those scissor type steps installed in a box that would fit under the cab and replace the top step area.  Then you would just open up a "door" and pull out and swing the steps down.  Now I just looked at your posting and saw that you have the newer truck that has that nice removable panel there in that space (I really like those), but that won't let you remove just the top area that I was talking about. (gee, I like old trucks).

So why not do something similar to that one picture of the sliding steps, which is basically what Jay did on the side of his truck to get into the garage, or use Phil's idea with the dog steps.  There are lots of videos of different type of folding steps.  If you are able to cut away the top part of your panel that gets removed easily, have a box built there attached for strength, and then just pull out the stairs and drop them down.

Good luck.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Be careful about putting "stuff" under the cab but above the frame. Air ride bags might move enough to smoosh (technical term) the new stairs, a fuel tank, air lines, etc. Cabs on older trucks roll quite a bit, so don't be concerned with just the up & down amplitude...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

Be careful about putting "stuff" under the cab but above the frame. Air ride bags might move enough to smoosh (technical term) the new stairs, a fuel tank, air lines, etc. Cabs on older trucks roll quite a bit, so don't be concerned with just the up & down amplitude...

Thanks Paul.  I'm going to try the four step scissor stairs first.  Looks fairly simple to modify for a removable application.  I told Donna she could just jump from the cab but she didn't take to that suggestion.?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 5/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, Nigel said:

Tell Donna not to take offence but maybe even the Pet Loader might work.  I think it might be Big5er that has one and keeps it in the right side compartment.  I don't  think you would have any trouble selling it when her knee is better.

Nigel

+1 on the Pet Loader... We had them for our trailer when we had old pups that couldn't do the RV stairs.  They are super sturdy!!  I even walked up them a couple of times and I exceed the recommended weight limit! :o

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived