traveling to California From Vegas

Vegas Teacher

I am getting ready for Spring Break:D:D:D Thank the lord I only have to wake up 4 more times this week and go in and teach Biology- I love my job but by this time of the year I am ready for a break, it has been a long time since Christmas vacation for an extended break.

Anyway I am going over to Fontana, California to do some Schutzhund training with my German Shepherd. I was going to drive my Semi over, but I am registering in NV as a private vehicle so I do not need a CDL. I am a little worried when I go through the fruit inspection point on I - 15 that everybody has to go through it might be difficult. Has anybody gone through there or had any similar experiences in California? That is the only state in the union that has me nervous at all about this.

Instead of paying L.A. Hotel prices I planned on finding a truck stop next to the trainers house in Fontana and calling it good. 12.50 for a shower vs. 100.00 for a motel and all of the stuff I have to deal with at a motel with my pup, I would happily stay in a truck lot.

Me and the Volvo are doing well together. I am getting new steers this week. I am thinking Toyo's.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

In California, if you are registered as a private truck, you will have to stop at scales and go through the truck inspection areas.  You would be considered a "motortruck".  A motor truck is defined under CA Vehicle code section 410 and states:  A "motor truck" or "motortruck" is a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.  A private truck or motortruck registration is basically the same thing as a pickup registration.  In California, if your pickup has a GVWR of 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight of 8,001 pounds or more, or is not equipped with an open box-type bed (standard pick up bed) not exceeding 9 feet in length you must stop at scales and weigh stations.  The only way you are exempt from stopping at scales and or weigh stations in California with an HDT is if that HDT is registered as a motorhome.

Running bobtail, I would definitely stop at the scales/weigh stations with a private truck registration.  If you get chased down and stopped for not going through the scales/weigh stations, you can definitely expect a ticket.  If you were pulling a recreational 5th wheel you are less likely to get chased down, but you are still required to stop if you have a private truck or motortruck registration.  Once they find out you are not commercial, you will most likely get waived through.  I would, however, be prepared to explain your registration, licensing and use of your vehicle to whoever asks you at the weigh station.  It will be your responsibility to prove you are not commercial in this situation.  This is why most HDT'ers prefer a motorhome title if they can get it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Wow, that is surprising news.  Went all over CA pulling the 5er.  SD registered as private truck.  Entered on I-15.  Only question at ag inspection is did I have any live plants.

About a mile past the weigh station a CHP pulled up beside us on the right and looked then pulled around to the driver side and used his loud speaker to tell me one of the straps on the Smart was loose.  I gave him a thumbs up and pulled off and fixed it.  Passed a bunch of other scales without any problems. 

On edit, I believe it was on this site that someone said you can't bobtail unless you meet all the newer truck emission standards, like all that DEF stuff.  Don't know for certain.  Did bobtail around town but did not pass any weight stations either. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Pulling a 5th wheel, you typically won't get hassled and most people don't stop.  In Vegas Teacher's post, he said he would be running bobtail so I figured I would post what the actual law is.  In California, if you are driving a rental van from UHaul or Hertz that meets the weight requirements I posted above, you also must stop at the scales.  Most people don't know this either, but it is the law.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Chad it doesn't matter how California considers a truck. He is registered in Nevada. The only time he needs to stop truck inspection stations is if it says all trucks or all vehicles with trailers. He is not commercial even though California considers all pickups commercial. The agg inspection station is just that. They don't care if you are commercial or not. I go on the car side. Last time they took my 2 pieces of firewood. Roll on by the weigh stations and go to the car side of the agg atation. If they question you tell them you are non commercial, a private truck. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Teach....did you get the truck registered in Nevada?  Do you have Nevada Plates?

I hope you are a very heavy sleeper if you expect to get any sleep in the truck stops around the Fontana area!  You will also get the "full truck stop experience" and have lots of stories to tell. You may want to come up with a "plan B" just in case.

Even with Cali plates on my HDT registered as a RV I get stopped almost every time I bobtail.  I have to drive past a 'Scale House" that is always open.  I have had the privilege to "educate" both "Commercial" and "Non Commercial" officers of the  California Highway Patrol" and sometimes I get to "re-educate" the same officer more than once!  I'm getting pretty good at it! 

8 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Chad it doesn't matter how California considers a truck. He is registered in Nevada. The only time he needs to stop truck inspection stations is if it says all trucks or all vehicles with trailers. He is not commercial even though California considers all pickups commercial. The agg inspection station is just that. They don't care if you are commercial or not. I go on the car side. Last time they took my 2 pieces of firewood. Roll on by the weigh stations and go to the car side of the agg atation. If they question you tell them you are non commercial, a private truck. 

For scale purposes, your state of registration is irrelevant.  If you are registered as a truck, whether that is a pickup, private truck, motortruck or commercial, and you are over the specified weights I listed above, CA requires you to stop at the scales.  You could rent a U-haul with out of state plates, but if it is over the weight limits specified, you still have to stop at the scale, for example.  If you are not commercial, they will likely waive you on through, but you still have to stop.  

It is no different than the situation I had in Oklahoma recently.  A scale said all trucks must stop.  I did not stop because I am titled as a motorhome.  I was still chased down by Oklahoma Highway Patrol and stopped.  Once the officer found out I was titled/registered as a motorhome, he sent me on my way.  My CA plates were irrelevant, but the registration was relevant.

event.png    

1 hour ago, MrSeas said:

Teach....did you get the truck registered in Nevada?  Do you have Nevada Plates?

I hope you are a very heavy sleeper if you expect to get any sleep in the truck stops around the Fontana area!  You will also get the "full truck stop experience" and have lots of stories to tell. You may want to come up with a "plan B" just in case.

Even with Cali plates on my HDT registered as a RV I get stopped almost every time I bobtail.  I have to drive past a 'Scale House" that is always open.  I have had the privilege to "educate" both "Commercial" and "Non Commercial" officers of the          "California Highway Patrol" and sometimes I get to "re-educate" the same officer more than once!  I'm getting pretty good at it! 

Flyer told me to watch out for Lot Lizards as they are a particularly nasty group of people. Will I see any in Fontana? LOL ;-) ?

But around here the truck stops sell fuel for anywhere between .20 to.40 cents a gallon more then anywhere else. I don't care how many showers they give me, I will fuel anywhere but a truck stop. They way we travel, and the amount of fuel carried, you can bobtail to just about any campground to go fill up. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

"Flyer told me to watch out for Lot Lizards as they are a particularly nasty group of people. Will I see any in Fontana? LOL ;-) ?"

Shucks, Teach..........Don't let them LOT-Lizzies give you any guff....just sic your puppy on them and a couple nips on their backside will get rid of them......

Drive on........(Talk softly..... and walk with a big .......German Shepard)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

16 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Flyer told me to watch out for Lot Lizards as they are a particularly nasty group of people. Will I see any in Fontana? LOL ;-) ?

Here is one of the Fontana girls who will be waiting for the Great Pumpkin to show up.

BV7BJT7l.jpg

She'll teach you a thing or two!!

And notice how her hair goes so well with the color of your truck?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived