Thank you Chad.........

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Just wanted to thank Chad for his hospitality, offering me a place to park, good conversation and great pizza while we shared a short visit. Chad's home was my last stop during what has become my annual fall HDT and Ural tour, total mileage this year was 5,667.3 miles while passing through 13 States visiting folks in most of them.

When I woke up at Chad's home in California the morning following our visit I decided it was time to head for my home, plotted my course, put the hammer down leaving at 7:AM and arrived at my home in Washington 793.2 miles later at 10:16PM. Not a bad days run for an ole Freightliner.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Glad you had an uneventful trip Dave. That's a lot of mileage in a short time (total and your last run), so you may win the Iron Butt title!

Howdy Rocky,

Well as a matter of fact, back when I used to do 1,000 mile days regularly on my motorcycle as I had very little vacation time and many miles to cover between friends; I decided I might as well get some credit for it. So in 1998, I went to the "Iron Butt" web site and did some reading, there are many different rides you can do, the "Bun Burner" at 1,000 miles in 24 hours was something I had done many times so it wasn't a challenge, so I down loaded all the information I needed and took on completing the "Bun Burner Gold" that is riding 1,500 miles in 24 hours. To make a long story short, after supplying the needed documentation I was awarded all the Iron Butt goodies proving that I had completed 1,555 miles in 24 hours. My goal had been to complete the distance between my home in Washington and that of my brother in Minnesota a distance of 1,627 miles in the 24 hour time frame but that was not to happen due to my credit card not working as they thought it was stolen for the way it was being used. However I did do the 1,627 miles in 25 hours 17 minutes still a good run, alas I was younger then and did have an Iron Butt, nowadays I drive an HDT.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

When I woke up at Chad's home in California the morning following our visit I decided it was time to head for my home, plotted my course, put the hammer down leaving at 7:AM and arrived at my home in Washington 793.2 miles later at 10:16PM. Not a bad days run for an ole Freightliner.

Dave

WOW! Call me a sissy, but 400 miles/day is a full day of driving for this old dude. Although, I have done 550 miles in one day. Perhaps that is why I have the 400 mile rule.

Howdy All,

When you live in a "corner of the country" everywhere you go is a long ways away. Those of us who live as I do in northwestern Washington, or southern California, southern Florida, or Maine, don't have to go very far to cross the first State line and it progresses from there. I, like to travel, always have, really don't care where I am going just want to be moving. The camping gear has gone from motorcycle, an old tarp, a wool blanket and a can of bug spray to a big ole truck and trailer but the wanderlust is the same.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks Dave. It was nice to have you stop by. We enjoyed the visit. Stop by any time. I'm glad you made it home safely.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Ok, derail time....lol Dave did you ever get anywhere on your stacks yet?

Howdy Tom,

No, didn't get them, talked to two different Freightliner dealers-service-parts people and was told that the trucks fitted with the stacks that I wanted had stiffeners built into the cabs where the stacks mount. Was told that this could be done to my truck but it would entail a lot of work which equates to shop time at 150 bucks an hour so I decided to just stick with what I have. I am glad I did some research BEFORE making the trip to southeastern Idaho to pick them up. Darn it, I was really looking forward to getting those stacks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well, I guess it's good in a way. You didn't waste your money on the stacks, but I agree, your truck would look good with them!

Howdy Tom,

The stacks would have been a "cosmetic" addition to the truck, they may well have cost a few 1/10's of a mpg with increased wind drag and added another 100 pounds to the weight of the truck so efficiency was never part of the plan. Still I do wish they would have been able to be fitted easily as I do like the look.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Rocky,

Well as a matter of fact, back when I used to do 1,000 mile days regularly on my motorcycle as I had very little vacation time and many miles to cover between friends; I decided I might as well get some credit for it. So in 1998, I went to the "Iron Butt" web site and did some reading, there are many different rides you can do, the "Bun Burner" at 1,000 miles in 24 hours was something I had done many times so it wasn't a challenge, so I down loaded all the information I needed and took on completing the "Bun Burner Gold" that is riding 1,500 miles in 24 hours. To make a long story short, after supplying the needed documentation I was awarded all the Iron Butt goodies proving that I had completed 1,555 miles in 24 hours. My goal had been to complete the distance between my home in Washington and that of my brother in Minnesota a distance of 1,627 miles in the 24 hour time frame but that was not to happen due to my credit card not working as they thought it was stolen for the way it was being used. However I did do the 1,627 miles in 25 hours 17 minutes still a good run, alas I was younger then and did have an Iron Butt, nowadays I drive an HDT.

Dave

I have done the same on a motorcycle. The last one was from North Platte,Ne to Lexington, Ky on a HD Night Rod Special. Flat bars, forward controls and no windshield. 1001 miles

The common problem I had on my first trip was in Fl when I stopped for a room and my debit card wouldn't work. I called first thing in the morning and was told....looks like your card has been stolen and they are joy riding across Florida stopping every 100 or so miles spending your money. YES it's me turn back on my card !!!

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

I have done the same on a motorcycle. The last one was from North Platte,Ne to Lexington, Ky on a HD Night Rod Special. Flat bars, forward controls and no windshield. 1001 miles

The common problem I had on my first trip was in Fl when I stopped for a room and my debit card wouldn't work. I called first thing in the morning and was told....looks like your card has been stolen and they are joy riding across Florida stopping every 100 or so miles spending your money. YES it's me turn back on my card !!!

Howdy forxlr8n,

I have been using the same credit card for the last 30 years, they have a note in my file that sates no matter how fast or in what direction the card is being used if its buying gas, diesel fuel, food or lodging to let it be, and still some darned computer program will shut it down. Now that I have a cellphone its not to bad, back when I didn't have a phone it was a major catastrophe and a real pain in the arse to get the card working again. I understand why the cc's do this but it would be nice if a HUMAN BEING made the decision rather then a machine that can't look at and read the notes that are in a persons credit history.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived