Still in the hunt for a VLN64T 780 volvo - opinions

Vegas Teacher

I am looking to go with an automatic transmission. Yes I can drive a stick and so can my wife but................. My wife will not drive so I can sleep on long trips. I learned to drive a stick back in farm country on my grandpa's '46 "dually" grain truck with a dump bed. You had to double clutch that truck, and on a good day the brakes even worked. Oh it also had power steering.... all the power you had in your arms to turn the wheel and the wasps loved to build nests in it. They would always come out and greet you at the most opportune times. But man, I loved that old truck, it had heart and character.

Anyway Volvo seems to have a couple of different automatic transmissions in their trucks the I shift and the autoshift. is one better than the other? Also is there any year I should be Leary of?

I lost out on one on EBAY for 19500 up in Wisconsin and I am finding that between 20K and 35K there is a lot of competition for a rig. Can anybody give me advice on getting one? I won't buy without a dyno test or a truck inspection, but from Vegas that takes a little bit of time and contacts.

So once again ready to buy, but I am not willing to throw good money at a poor product.

Later,

Cory O

Vegas Teacher!

The Autoshift has a clutch that is used starting from and coming to a stop only. In the I-Shift there is no clutch petal as it is fully automated. The clutch is the auto shift can make some slow maneuvering easier. The I-Shift is as good as any automated manual and perhaps the best but I also wouldn't overlook a Cummins/Ultrashift combination Volvo.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

'Teach,

What transmission did you buddy get on his truck?

Has he let you drive it?

Have you researched the different transmissions that might be available in the model years that you prefer.

Do you know the differences between an "Autoshift" an

"UltraShift" or a " Freedomline" in the older trucks?

Educate yourself on as much as you can before you buy a truck long distance just because of the price. Could be a " hard" learning curve in turns of money and heartache?

TIFWIW

Vegas Teacher check Jack Mayer's website as he had a good write up on the various transmissions.

In summary:

An Autoshift is an Eaton trans and a 3 pedal where you use the clutch to start out and the trans does all the other shifting. There were different models, Gen 1, Gen 2, etc... These along with the Freedom line were the earliest auto shifting trans.

An Ultrashift is also an Eaton and is a 2 pedal transmission and also has different generations, different features available on later versions.

An I shift is a 2 pedal Volvo only transmission it came out later than the Ultrashifts. You typically have to buy a newer Volvo to get it and it must have a Volvo engine.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

You typically have to buy a newer Volvo to get it and it must have a Volvo engine.

Dave

Or a Mack, with mDrive.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong the ultra or the freedom line tranys can be a problematic if you shut down motor while still in gear. If it is left in gear you can not get it re started unless you get the pressure off the drive train such as remove drive line. If you have enough air to release the brakes. block the tires so it wont role off and jack drive tire off the ground. then it will come out of gear. I shift dose not do this. I have a I shift in a o8 vnl 64t78 .We like a lot.

Do you leave your car in "drive" often?

And the Freedomline needs air to shift. I am told you can backfill the air tanks and shift it into neutral. I've never had an issue.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

This is why research needs to be done to "be educated"

on some of the many nuances that these transmissions have.

You can have the UltraShift programmed to "beep" at you if you forget to put it in neutral after shutting down and gives you a few seconds to fix your mistake.

Big5er said it best....

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong the ultra or the freedom line tranys can be a problematic if you shut down motor while still in gear. If it is left in gear you can not get it re started unless you get the pressure off the drive train such as remove drive line. If you have enough air to release the brakes. block the tires so it wont role off and jack drive tire off the ground. then it will come out of gear. I shift dose not do this. I have a I shift in a o8 vnl 64t78 .We like a lot.

Shucks, don't look now but even with a manual tranny...... if.........you park on a hill.....you leave it in neutral........you shut the engine down.....you do not set the park brake........when you get back from a few drinks at the bar the darn truck will likely be not where you got out of it........

Sometimes ya just got a pay attention to what your doing around these machines.........

Drive on........(Where did I park that darn rig.........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

One thing to note about the UltraShift and the UltraShift Plus. The former uses a centrifugal clutch and can be a little different to get used to compared to a manual transmission.

The latter uses a standard clutch with an electric actuator that acts just like a manual transmission.

Both of them are 2 pedal automated manual transmissions.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Just like Glen, we have accidentally shut down our Ultrashift while still in Drive (once at the US border coming back from Canada due to a really pissed off border guard because we were making too much noise). All we did was move the paddle shifter back to neutral and turn the key and truck starts up.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have a auto shift, 3 peddle, that must be in neutral also when shutdown. The buzzer will go off and continue to buzz until the truck is placed back in neutral. It will buzz even if you remove the key. I don't ever have to restart the truck but I do place the ignition back to the "on" position the press the "N" on the shifter to return the transmission to neutral.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Shucks, don't look now but even with a manual tranny...... if.........you park on a hill.....you leave it in neutral........you shut the engine down.....you do not set the park brake........when you get back from a few drinks at the bar the darn truck will likely be not where you got out of it........

Sometimes ya just got a pay attention to what your doing around these machines.........

Drive on........(Where did I park that darn rig.........)

Or when you park it in gear and hit the starter with it still in gear..... those brakes hold really well!

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Archived