Is This "normal" for people that have 5th wheel/bumper set-up?

coachmac9

Saw a story this past weekend with pics (or I would not have believed it)...Several family members (including at least one child) and pets were riding in a 5th wheel while being pulled down the highway...not just around the corner, but literally going a long distance at highway speeds...and they had an accident. Bad accident that totaled the truck and trailer!!! Miraculously nobody was injured in the truck or riding in the 5th wheel!!!!! I seriously could not believe that anyone would do this...is this done on a regular basis??? I just couldn't imagine allowing my child or pet to ride in a trailer being pulled at highway speeds...I know there a lot of 5th wheel owners that are on this forum...what do you guys think????

It is legal in many states, including California which seems to have rules for everything. My in-laws used to keep their cats in the fiver when they traveled.

Having said that, I personally would not do it. I am not sure that riding in a fiver would be any more dangerous than riding in a motor home as long as there were provisions for seat belts. My biggest concern would be heat. I just can't imagine leaving a person or pet in the fiver when the outside temp is above 75 even.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We kept a remote thermometer in our fiver so we'd be able to keep track of how warm our cats were. It never got much above the outside temp inside, only thing we'd do is close the window blinds to keep the sun out. Cats were happy to travel in the fiver, hated the truck, so we went with what kept them happy. Our cats were used to warmer temps though, we spent a good bit of time boondocking when it would get above 90 degrees outside.

I rode in our fiver a few times (making sure it was legal in the state we were in) initially to try and locate a problem with driving at highway speeds sucking our sink traps dry. A couple times to keep an eye on the cats when we first tried letting them travel back there and once when we started seeing diesel exhaust deposits in the kitchen cupboards. Wife drove each time and we used our FRS radios to keep in contact.

It wasn't much fun back there as you had no clue to when the trailer was going to change speeds or turn so keeping on your feet was iffy. Noise and temp weren't issues nor was CO level aside from the time we saw the exhaust deposits, that came from a failed seam seal behind the fridge. Cats on the other hand got under the pillows on the bed and napped for the whole trip, we would open the door and call them down if we were stopping so they could drink and use the litter box if the urge struck.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Once you see what is left of *any* trailer in an accident - you would not want any persons (or animals) riding in same.

A search of RV net will show the "results" of a couple of 5h wheels which were completely

destroyed by "blow-overs".

Not much left to salvage - and any person inside would have been very lucky to be alive!

BTW - "Chalkie" - CA vehicle code (ref sec: 21712, "g") prohibits passengers riding in trailers.

However, passengers may ride in 5th wheel trailers .(meeting certain requirements - sub section "i")

"Many states" also have rules ("for almost everything") prohibiting same for *all* trailers

We know of no one who has passengers in their 5W. If they did I imagine it would be very similar to someone walking around inside a MH when moving. Neither is very wise. We do let our cat travel in the 5W as she has told us several times she doesn't enjoy riding in the truck. She spends her time on the bed. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We had 2 cats that always rode in the fifth wheel and they were fine. If we ever would have had a accident like a roll over, I would much rather have the cats in the camper. I'm sure the cats would survive much better than most people give them credit for. I would not want to experience a truck roll over with cats and claws flying around.

Greg

I tried it once just to see how it was...With all the slides in the only place that was comfortable was the bedroom bed. It was not that bad but all I could reach was the bathroom and the fridge. Going to the bathroom it a 5th wheel careening down the highway was a trip.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I would never let a person ride in ours but way back when we did have a dog who refused to ride in the truck but would leap into the pull trailer or fiver or truck camper, depending on which we had at the time. He'd hop on the bed and stay there the whole trip.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

BTW - "Chalkie" - CA vehicle code (ref sec: 21712, "g") prohibits passengers riding in trailers.

However, passengers may ride in 5th wheel trailers .(meeting certain requirements - sub section "i")

Which is precisely why I used CA as an example. Yes, there are stipulations. It still boggles my mind that it would be allowed ANYWHERE.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

No one rides in ours, not even our Cats. We removed the back seat in the TV and installed a large cage that's fastened down and not moving. That way there in climated controlled comfort with food, water, and litter.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

It may also be a good idea to check the owners manual for your rig, as the manufacturer has to cover themselves legally in at least saying what the trailer is capable of. In the case of Keystone, 5er or travel trailer, this is stated in their owners manual: "Do not allow passengers to ride in the trailer during travel. The trailer does not have seat belts and is not designed to
carry passengers. This may also be prohibited by state law."

Walking in a 5th or class a while underway..no diff...

I've been saying that for many years. I know from experience what can happen to an unbuckled person when the driver has to make a panic stop. My first wife would never use a seat belt. Driving through Indianapolis one night (surface streets) a man ran a red light, I jammed on the brakes attempting to stop (broadsided him anyway), wife came flying down the center and was suddenly stopped by the MH dash. Wife's injuries were moderate, MH damage slight, as that old 1977 Allegro had a 2"X8" angle iron bumper, other car was severely damaged.

Indiana permits riding in a 5er, but not a bumper-pull; logical thinking_????? Yet, if you disable auto air bags or seat belts that provide human protection you get to pay a fine.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived