Garmin GPS

We have a Garmin 760 RV GPS with the most recent updates and are having a lot of problems with it in British Columbia and Alaska. So far: 1) we had the Garmin tell us to take a right into a forested area with no roads when our campground was actually 90 miles further down the road on the left; 2) we left Stewart, BC for Watson Lake, a 9 hour drive. Our Garmin told us to turn south on the Cassiar instead of north, sent us back to RT 16 all the way to RT 97, then onto Dawson Creek, and then up the Alaska Highway for a 25 hour journey; 3) in Glennallen, Alaska it told us to take a left onto a muddy, dirt road when our campground was actually a left 10 miles further down the road; and 4) today it told us to take a left onto a road to nowhere when in fact our campground was 5 miles further straight down the road. We having been using this unit for over 2 years in the lower 48 and love it. We know very well how to use it, so it is not us. This thing just sinks when heading north. Are there any any other GPS units which perform well in Canada and Alaska?

On a 2013 Alaska Caravan I found my Garmin 2610 did not have maps of Canada built in, only a generic undetailed map that shows little more than major roads. I could order and add a card to get Canada maps for a steep price. Instead I bought a Rand McNally RVND 7720 that came with full Canadian maps. You likely have a similar choice ... card or new gps that comes w/ full Canada maps.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We also have a Garmin and love it but I paid the high price for the Mexico maps and it was worthless. Of course I know Mexico is full of unnamed and unmarked roads but I thought it would do better on the main highways and byways. Canada may be the same. It will be interesting to see if others have the same experience.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Try resetting the Garmin.

It could also be that you're in heavily forested areas and it can't find the satellites. XM Radio is difficult the farther north you go as is satellite television.

We didn't feel we needed a GPS on the Alaskan trip. There aren't a lot of road choices. :) We mainly followed the Milepost constantly because we wanted the history of the area we were passing through. The Milepost also included a nice separate map that we used with helpful information. I like seeing the whole picture of an area, not just a little GPS version.

Don't get lost!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Try resetting the Garmin.

It could also be that you're in heavily forested areas and it can't find the satellites. XM Radio is difficult the farther north you go as is satellite television.

We didn't feel we needed a GPS on the Alaskan trip. There aren't a lot of road choices. :) We mainly followed the Milepost constantly because we wanted the history of the area we were passing through. The Milepost also included a nice separate map that we used with helpful information. I like seeing the whole picture of an area, not just a little GPS version.

Don't get lost!

As you noted, we are staying on the main roads. I agree that we don't really need a GPS for Alaska. I was hoping to use it for driving time estimates. I have learned not to count on it for specific campgrounds.

As 2Gypsies said, a GPS doesn't work well sometimes in Northern CA and AK. This is because the geostationary satellites are positioned near the equator, and the angle of the signals from them are not received clearly. Did you notice the satellite dishes pointed somewhat towards the ground? Same thing.

The first thing our AK caravan wagonmaster told us was NOT to depend on a GPS for directions. One member did, and found himself turning around in a forest with a 40' MH +towed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Paper maps!!! Be smarter than the GPS. Never ever depend on your GPS!!! We always know in advance where our route is intended to be. Our GPS is just a little voice to help our. She really only has a purpose in the car on local excursionsc

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Any unit sold in Canada, or Alaska. Units up here ship with different map packages.

Provide a link to this, Garmin, Rand McNally, and TomTom, all only have one website for map updates. How do you update yours differently? They all use NavTeq map program software. Our next trip to AK might be easier if I can sign on to your CA website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have lifetime maps on our Garmin... in spite of updates it's accuracy is questionable! I have renamed ours Fife... as in "1 bullet Barney" from The Andy Griffith Show! ALMOST as accurate! I swear by Fife (and at Fife on occasion)... AFTER checking with several ADDITIONAL sources as to Fife's accuracy I still proceed with caution! We keep Fife around and occasionally get a chuckle out of him... or is that us we are amused at for ACTUALLY following his tongue in cheek directions? We know where you're coming from... Who knows where you're going to... certainly NOT Fife!

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

Provide a link to this, Garmin, Rand McNally, and TomTom, all only have one website for map updates. How do you update yours differently? They all use NavTeq map program software. Our next trip to AK might be easier if I can sign on to your CA website.

Shrug. Not my problem, All I know is 2 different Garmin units, both updated regularly, will show different roads when used in USA. Both will agree on Canadian roads, as well as Alaska.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Shrug. Not my problem, All I know is 2 different Garmin units, both updated regularly, will show different roads when used in USA. Both will agree on Canadian roads, as well as Alaska.

That's what I am asking, what website address do you update from? I'd like to use it for my GPS next trip.

I have no issues with my Garmin. in The US, Canada or mexico. i Have the new $450 LMTDH Nuvican. It has a built in webcam which is real nice. Mexico maps come included. yOu od have to be careful in Mexico as the orute the GPS indicates is not always RV friendly. Canada, no issue.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

That's what I am asking, what website address do you update from? I'd like to use it for my GPS next trip.

There should be only one place to update your maps. I think you need to download a Garmin toolbox to download and install maps.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

You need to download Garmin express. It will tale care of it. http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

George, go to HERE and download the software. Once you do you can plug your nav unit into your computer. All you need is a standard USB cord. Once you start the Express it will automatically detect the unit and then it will tell you what updates are available. This is what I use and it works flawlessly for me.

Tom

Telcoman pushed the post button seconds before I did!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

George Fin, I think I've gotten as much from your thread as you, thanks for putting up with me getting off-topic.

Garmin express is what I've used for several years, It's good to know I've been getting the same mapping updates as my Canadian friends.

I've got to go buy a new Garmin unit now, mine died Friday past. It freezes on the startup screen, and nothing online helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks for all the information. I updated my Garmin through Garmin Express in late April, just before entering Alaska. Its a good thing I always backed up my research with paper maps and/or Google maps as those sources prevented me from following incorrect directions.

I use Garmin express as well. You need to update at least every six months. I have had my Garmin try to take me off into the wilds even down in the lower 48. One time we were on an interstate...it told me to take an exit, cross the road at the bottom and then take the ramp back up to the interstate. Go figure.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We have a Garmin Nuvi 2557 LMT that we purchased in September 2014 for about $180. We have not updated software or maps. It worked as well in Alaska last summer as it does in the states. Some errors, but usually ok. I always look at a real map to get an idea of where were are going, and don't completely rely on the gps.

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

Have never heard of or used Base Camp. Garmin Express is obviously a Garmin software that allows you to update your GPS very simply. All you need to do is connect the GPs to the computer with its cord.....open Garmin Express with a click of the mouse and the rest is pretty much automatic. The software will recognise your GPS model, connect your GPS to Garmin's website, search for updates and install the updates.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

George Fin, I think I've gotten as much from your thread as you, thanks for putting up with me getting off-topic.

Garmin express is what I've used for several years, It's good to know I've been getting the same mapping updates as my Canadian friends.

I've got to go buy a new Garmin unit now, mine died Friday past. It freezes on the startup screen, and nothing online helps to resolve the issue.

Ours freezes occasionally and what we do is to unplug it, keep it on, and let the battery run down. When we plug it back in it runs fine for months.

This might buy you some time. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived