Side cameras (again)

chevy3500

Those of you who have side cameras on your trailer, or truck how do you have them powered? are they set to come on automatically with the turn signal or just when you select that camera view manually? If wired to turn signal where did you pick up power for the trigger wire? I'm installing a Rearview Safety 4 cam system, and looking for options.

Thanks

Due to the wiring in the steering column all being tiny and basically signal wires to the ecm (?) I just grabbed power from the REAR turn signal light wires. I followed them back from the tail lights to where the harness came out of the cab and tied in there.

My side cameras are located ...well here is a picture:

IMGP0026-S.jpg

Word of advice, do NOT connect to the front turn signals. Everything will work GREAT....until you put the truck in drive and your cameras go batty. You put it back in neutral and re-check everything and find no issues. Every thing works fine so you start to move your truck back to it's parking space. And it happens again when you put the truck in drive. It'll take you 10 or 15 minutes to figure out that the front turn signals are also your daytime running lights. Then you will have to un-do all that pretty wiring you did and do it a 2nd time, only tracking the wires that run to the rear turn signals. And please, just trust me and don't ask how I know.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Record? Whats to record?

If you mean how do they show on the display when the power is intermittent that is easy. They have a built in adjustable delay. How long do you want it to stay on after the power is off....at least longer than the "off" cycle of on-off-on-off-on-off. Mine stay on for about 15 seconds after the turn signal quits going blink blink blink.

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, I probably have the exact same system that Jim has. A lot of us have dealt with Steve at Leviathan Holdings.

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er's photo of the side of his truck, showing the camera, shows up fine for me, inline within his message. I'm running Chrome browser.

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Word of advice, do NOT connect to the front turn signals. Everything will work GREAT....until you put the truck in drive and your cameras go batty. You put it back in neutral and re-check everything and find no issues. Every thing works fine so you start to move your truck back to it's parking space. And it happens again when you put the truck in drive. It'll take you 10 or 15 minutes to figure out that the front turn signals are also your daytime running lights. Then you will have to un-do all that pretty wiring you did and do it a 2nd time, only tracking the wires that run to the rear turn signals. And please, just trust me and don't ask how I know.

I'm pretty sure I know how you know. But I'm curious--how does it deal with you stepping on the brake with the turn signal going? One other place that would work is the repeater lamp on the side of the sleeper--that's the only place (other than the trailer connector) where you actually have just a turn signal. Up front is combined with the DRL, and in back is combined with the brakes.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Record? Whats to record?

If you mean how do they show on the display when the power is intermittent that is easy. They have a built in adjustable delay. How long do you want it to stay on after the power is off....at least longer than the "off" cycle of on-off-on-off-on-off. Mine stay on for about 15 seconds after the turn signal quits going blink blink blink.

Thanks. I didn't know about the delay. I just pictured the image going ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON,............ :blink::wacko:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

My advice is to pick signals from the input side of the Jackalopee.....which should be the feed from the trailer wire umbilical that you ran to the Jackie.

I power my cameras "hot" all the time. And then switch the view depending on my needs/wants.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

KW truck, isn't it? They put the spare turn breakouts behind the LH gauge panel right where the mirror harness goes out the side of the cab. I don't remember if T2 got them because they never did the lollipops on the mirrors but if they did get the harness ends that is where they would be too.

I'm pretty sure I know how you know. But I'm curious--how does it deal with you stepping on the brake with the turn signal going? One other place that would work is the repeater lamp on the side of the sleeper--that's the only place (other than the trailer connector) where you actually have just a turn signal. Up front is combined with the DRL, and in back is combined with the brakes.

David, don't ask me....you are electrical genius. It just works, that's all I know. :)

2014 smart Fortwo

My advice is to pick signals from the input side of the Jackalopee.....which should be the feed from the trailer wire umbilical that you ran to the Jackie.

I power my cameras "hot" all the time. And then switch the view depending on my needs/wants.

Back then my Jackalopee was back in the back. I did the camera before I moved it.

And my cameras are hot all the time also. I can select any of them, but the 2 on the turn signals will override what is on the monitor. I can do without the others while I change lanes.

2014 smart Fortwo

I have an integrated backup camera in my truck, but also added a Garmin GPS (dezl 760LMT) that supports a camera. I added a blind spot camera on to my passenger side mirrors and wired it to the GPS. When I want to check the blind spot I switch from the nav screen to the camera. Maybe one day I'll get fancy and have a system that is integrated with my turn-signals, but for now this works well - I usually only use it maneuvering in very tight spaces (pump islands, etc)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

I don't have a Jackalope, truck was converted when I bought it and haven't done anything with it.

KW truck, isn't it? They put the spare turn breakouts behind the LH gauge panel right where the mirror harness goes out the side of the cab. I don't remember if T2 got them because they never did the lollipops on the mirrors but if they did get the harness ends that is where they would be too.

Yes T2000 KW, I'll take a look at that.

Back then my Jackalopee was back in the back. I did the camera before I moved it.

And my cameras are hot all the time also. I can select any of them, but the 2 on the turn signals will override what is on the monitor. I can do without the others while I change lanes.

This is what I was hoping to accomplish, haven't checked out the delay feature yet.

THANKS ALL!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the underlining on above post. Couldn't get it to not underline :unsure:

Fixed it for you, Chevy3500.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived