I am totally out of my comfort zone on this and seeking your advice

HERO Maker

Without seeing the roof, it's hard to make a judgment on what is repairable by skilled craftsman. If the interior itself hasn't been damaged, the roof and interior ceiling itself can be replaced. Roof membrane can be removed, plywood removed, roof trusses repaired, reinsulated, ductwork repaired, new plywood installed and then I would have the spray type roof coating applied- similar to Line-X or Rhino Lining. If this roof system was Blue Dow foam insulation with a fiberglass roof and interior ceiling, it is still repairable but more involved. Since it is a Teton, I would consider asking Forks to give an opinion of what's to extreme to repair.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"For Rock's Bride, unfortunately hospitals (ER's) are required by law to ask about "Do Not Resuscitate " wishes on arrival."

Thanks, Suite. I'm glad to know it was SOP and not an indicator a trained professional discerned Rock's imminent expiration. Yikes.

I can live with hail damage. The other thought is non-negotiable.

Unless you have had a long-term leak in the roof you are dealing with impact damage to the exterior elements. All the stuff on the roof - vents, skylights, AC unit housings, etc will be replaced. It may be time to do most of those anyway, simply due to age and sun. Then there is the deck itself. The rubber roof and decking will have to come off. The joists, insulation, ductwork, etc should all be fine, unless, as I said there was existing water damage.

Then the roof is redecked, the side arcs replaced (typically these are curved metal) and the topping is put on. That is typically vinyl sheeting these days. But I would have RV-Armor put on it. In fact, I would ask them to do the entire job.....they do good work. I'd take it directly to them - and not use one of their franchise partners.

Unless there is lots of side and window damage, or other things not spoken of, I'd want to keep that rig and fix it....assuming the settlement numbers work out. I know you still have a slide issue, and I'd want to know about that first....that may be the nail in the coffin of this trailer if the entire slide has to be rebuilt.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

"For Rock's Bride, unfortunately hospitals (ER's) are required by law to ask about "Do Not Resuscitate " wishes on arrival."

Thanks, Suite. I'm glad to know it was SOP and not an indicator a trained professional discerned Rock's imminent expiration. Yikes.

I can live with hail damage. The other thought is non-negotiable.

I can understand.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have no advice to offer, but we want you both to know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Well, 1st off, I've just got to say how amazing all of you are! Since our first contact with the HDT Rally folks in Hutch in 2008, and even a couple months in advance of that meeting with Jack and Danielle, and Mark and Dale, as we traveled the countryside looking at rigs, we knew that we could learn a lot from this group of people and it would help us quickly move forward with what plans had been laid out for our future.

But this has certainly become a huge family and I really appreciate all the comments, suggestions, wise words of encouragement, and especially the prayers!

There has been no progress from the Ins. Co. yet. but I do recognize that we weren't the only ones that this double hit hail storm affected, and that's just to the thousands of people in this community. Really thankful to Rick and Alicia, that we are where we are at the moment. We (Sheri) have begun packing all our stuff in preparation for leaving this rig and finding another, or hauling it elsewhere for major repairs. Won't know which way we are going until Ins. Co. produces everything to us in writing as to value and how they came to the conclusions. Doing my part now in speaking with repair places to get a handle on what the $$ look like when I finally know what ins. does.

Jeff, so much appreciated your correction of my words and just wanted to say Thank You! You sound like potential Board Member material!

For all those sharing their experiences and knowledge, Thank You. Those kind of things make this group one of the most valuable benefits of being involved in this forum.

For all of my brothers and sisters in the Lord. I really appreciate your thoughts and especially your prayers during this time. It's been an attack from a couple of different angles, but as Jeff B said "One bite at a time". And as Gene and Colleen said, "This did not take the Lord by surprise....he has the answer." Good reminder about the miracles He has already provided, and I could testify in story after story of how He has done this! He is Faithful! Thank YOU Lord.

On Edit: Received the following as I received a phone call from someone wanting to come and pick up the unit. Explained to her that wasn't going to happen until there was complete agreement on valuation and other considerations. "I contacted them and they are going to put a rush on it. I’m not sure why they are slow to complete the valuation. I have assigned the RV to be picked up so I can have them seal the holes to prevent more damage. They will contact you to schedule the pick up." I emailed him the same comment.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Well, no change yet hearing about he value of the rig and what they are offering. But I did get a reminder call yesterday from the company just reminding me that my annual renewal is due on the 22nd. So he and I had a long conversation about what I would be insuring since his company is telling me that the trailer is totaled. Caught him by surprise and he should be calling me today after talking with underwriting about this situation, and trying to find out why we don't have valuation yet.

Did manage to insure that the truck might be the only item insured for awhile. That would be possible because it had already been insured by them.

I also increased the value of the truck (especially with the bed on it) to better reflect what the market is today on reselling these. Yes, I was blessed to be able to get the truck in a very down market.

Will let you know what is happening when it happens.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Funny how that works, when God moves we often are faced with a crisis in our life.

The cool thing is there is always a way forward, a good decision to be made, and then, the next test.

As one of my favorite presidents once said "Bring it on"

May you both continue to be blessed with peace. :D

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Rocky have you worked out anything with the insurance company yet? Inquiring minds want to know what is happening or if you are sleeping in your HDT.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Well, just yesterday we received the agreement in writing from the ins. co. that they were going to total it. Last week we were able to get a sneak peak at the valuation from the third party company they used. We don't like the two comps they used to value ours, and on one of them that had a 2nd bedroom in it, they lowered our value by $7,500. I can see for those who really desire a second bedroom then that would have some value for them. But I'm feeling that most RVers are looking for spaciousness and on a resale value it's a wash.

What say the rest of you on that item?

They also followed up with the salvage value which also happens to be $7,500!

I am seeking counsel from MS. Sherri (John's DW) and she has already been real helpful in talking with us.

Now if I elect to keep the rig, Blue Sky will not insure it again after it is repaired because it is a unit that they insured in the past. The will do coverage on another trailer that had been repaired from a salvaged title, but only if they hadn't insured it in the past. So now I'm making calls for coverage before I make a decision.

Everything is being packed and stored so that we can reload into a different rig, or back into this one after repairs. The large drom box contents on the truck will also be stored and replaced with stuff we may need for living for a few months.

No rush on making a decision because I still have more weeks of Physical Therapy, but I can drive the truck!

We, (my DW and good friends) have patched all the holes in the roof and slides from the second hail storm that hit (and did a lot more damage then the 2" hail 2 weeks prior) and we are still at the same spot as before sleeping in our rig. Real strong storm came through last night, but no water inside!! Hallelujah!

On edit, I did discover that our extended warranty would still be in effect on a salvaged title trailer. That is great news if we decide to keep it.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Hey Rocky, If you decide to keep it, and there is not serious structural damage to the rest of the roof, I have seen some Rhinolining and Linex installation centers that have huge bays. (you know, the stuff they spray into pickup truck beds) on IRV@ forums I have read of some class A owners that have done this instead of replacing EDPM roofs.

Just a thought

2005 Charleston 400TS Diesel Pusher
RV there yet?

I DO NOT recommend LIneX and Rhino as a roof coating. There are far too many issues with those particular products in roof application. I know of a number of people that have used them and did not get a satisfactory long term result. For various reasons. I also know of an RV manufacturer that used them and also had bad results.

What I DO RECOMMEND is RV Armour on the roof. It is a similar product. It has a lifetime warranty on the product AND labor. It is what I would put on my roof if I had to re-roof. In fact it is the ONLY thing I would put on my roof. Assuming I was doing a complete roof job. You can put it straight on the decking.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We don't like the two comps they used to value ours, and on one of them that had a 2nd bedroom in it, they lowered our value by $7,500.

I laughed when I saw this. I think a second bedroom is a wash at best. An RV is not a house - most Teton Royal owners do not need or want a second bedroom. And I would think it would be more difficult to sell than a traditional model. Did Teton set the original sale price higher on the second bedroom model than one with more living space?

We are still praying for wisdom (and healing) for you both. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Rocky,

I'm sure you know this, but just in case . . . Blue Sky won't continue to carry the Volvo unless they also carry the fifth wheel so you'll want to get quotes for both. Good luck in your findings and decisions and know that many of us have been keeping you and Sheri in our thoughts and prayers.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Howdy Rocky,

Man when it rains it pours or in your case HAILS. This sure seems to be turning into a mess, my best wishes for a equitable and livable settlement, do keep us posted.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks Doug.

Jack, you said, "You can put it straight on the decking." ?? Yes, that RV Armor looks like the way to go to eliminate future calking and trips up and down the roof. I found one other product that has more flex to it, and it was thicker. Will try and post it later.

Trey, have not idea what Teton priced it at with the extra bedroom, but I am in total agreement with you, and will try and convey that in my wording when I dispute the findings of the report. Keep praying for us brother. Really appreciate it.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Rocky,

I'm sure you know this, but just in case . . . Blue Sky won't continue to carry the Volvo unless they also carry the fifth wheel so you'll want to get quotes for both. Good luck in your findings and decisions and know that many of us have been keeping you and Sheri in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim, so far, if I keep the 5er, Blue Sky won't insure it, so that means I have to get another insurer. But if I let the 5er go and plan to purchase something else, then Blue Sky will insure only the truck for up to one year because they were already insuring it. Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Howdy Rocky,

Man when it rains it pours or in your case HAILS. This sure seems to be turning into a mess, my best wishes for a equitable and livable settlement, do keep us posted.

Dave

Thanks Dave. This too shall pass. Sometimes we just gotta keep making steps forward, as I'm sure you've had to do in your past.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

And remember Rocky, "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!" lol

You have a lot on your plate right now, but no more than you guys can handle.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Did not know there were problems with Linex or rhinolining, just wanted to toss the idea out there. Glad Jack chimed in with RV Armor.

If you have to go another route, did you see the NH toy hauler in the for sale section here? Not a Teton, but the garage area could be nice for tool and other storage

2005 Charleston 400TS Diesel Pusher
RV there yet?

Often thought about a toy hauler, but really don't see the need for it. For that once and awhile time when I come across a donated major tool, I would just move some stuff out of the basement of the Teton and stuff the truck cab and drom and make room in the basement.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

• 3 months later...

Well, I really appreciate all the encouraging words and suggestions that have come from a lot of you. Here is an UPDATE:

Blue Sky did the right thing and we came to an agreement on how much the Teton was worth. We had to fight to get it to that number, but that is why my name is Rocky! As I just told Blue Sky yesterday, they are still my insurance company.

So my DW and I (and RickW) watched as the trailer was hauled away on 6/16 and we truly became homeless. But my bride reminded me that we weren't really homeless - our truck is registered as a motor home! With the exception of burning some airline miles to fly to Florida (thinking we had just discovered our next Teton, only to find a storm revealing to us how bad that rig was leaking) we started the search for another home for us and the ministries

Again, much thanks to many of you who helped in many different ways. This was an adventure, and thankfully we had the time to invest in searching every possible resource (mostly two times per day) and headed on the road on July 5th to drive through 17 states looking for that needle in the haystack!

We pick up the 3 month old 2016 DRV Mobile Suites Houston tomorrow!!!!! PTL.

We are excited and it will be great to be sleeping in our own bed every night again. We became frequent La Quinta hotelers, along with a few others, and rarely spent more than 1 night as we put some miles behind us.

There are many God Glory Stories that happened along the way, and the end result is that we now have a home that is fully paid for (didn't think that was possible) plus just in time for us to hit our busy season.

Once again, thank you to all who have helped in the miracle (and you know who you are, and more importantly so does our Heavenly Father). Be blessed and we will see you down the road.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Archived