LGT to HDT- Amount of time per travel day you drive your HDT

remoandiris

We are retired and we are members of the 230 club. 230 miles OR 2:30 in the afternoon. That way we are set up and can have a drink while we watch all the others that don't park so well. We can do much more (2 drivers) if we have to but that is generally poor planning on my part. And we try not to travel on Sundays. That is a bad day to have trouble on the road and if it is going to happen that is the day it will.

Also it may just be a pet peeve of ours but we really dislike having people come in after dark. We have had people come in beside us at midnight and they seem to think (or not) nothing of wandering around and having conversations and drinks with no regard to anyone else trying to sleep.

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but I appreciate a little common courtesy.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

My focus is on safe driving. With an HDT, my rig is heavier than when I towed with my F550. More weight means more damage, in the event of an accident. So, I NEVER drive when fatigued. I prefer not to be on prime time news!

Each person's "fatigue" limit is different. For me, 500 miles per day (equates to a ten hour day) is the upper limit, regardless of tow vehicle. I prefer to stay in the 300 to 400 miles range. It takes me longer, than most drivers, to get where I want to go. But, I just plan that time into the total trip and enjoy the drive.

I have been retired a couple months and DW will next week. Most of our trips have been just a few hours away in the LGT. Our first long trip wil be ECR and that is 6 hours. we will swap drivers and pull it in 1 day. Anxious to make that trip for several reasons. Since the Army will not allow nonmilitary spouse in the truck, this will be DW's first long trip of any kind in the HDT so she is excited too.

While I am a big proponent of the HDTs for heavy trailers, you really have to admire the new super-pickups. The new Dodge 5500, properly set up, can tow some amazing weights - relative to 10 years ago. And do it safely, as long as you do not go overboard. And with the Link full air ride on it, the ride is very good. Probably BETTER than the HDT bobtail. For really heavy weights, or flexibility in cargo carrying, you cannot beat the HDT. But the super-pickups do a good job on the lighter trailers....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Our once yearly "long trip" is Wi to Sheridan Wy. Have always driven it in one shot, about 850 miles. Last year was the first time in HDT and cut 2 hours off the trip, would have been 2 1/2 but we had to wait out a thunder and hail storm in Rapid City. Amazing how much better I felt compared to the dually 3500. No stops for fuel was the time saver. Of course on the way back home did have to fill up, and it takes longer to put 250 gallons in the truck than 30 but only one stop :rolleyes: And so much more comfortable and fun to drive!

or flexibility in cargo carrying, you cannot beat the HDT. .

And that is my reason for an RV hauler.

My trailer is in the 15k range. My dually handles it fine. But, I want a RZR. Illegal to double tow in Fla even though chances of being stopped are low. Adding an Idaho Tote (which is a trailer according to FHP) to carry a RZR may put too much stress on my 5er's frame.

So, the options as I see them;

Class A while towing a pickup with RZR in the bed and lift for my GoldWing

5th wheel toy hauler with a garage big enough for RZR and GoldWing (tried it already and HATED IT)

HDT with RZR on the back pulling my current 5er

And that is my reason for an RV hauler.

My trailer is in the 15k range. My dually handles it fine. But, I want a RZR. Illegal to double tow in Fla even though chances of being stopped are low. Adding an Idaho Tote (which is a trailer according to FHP) to carry a RZR may put too much stress on my 5er's frame.

So, the options as I see them;

Class A while towing a pickup with RZR in the bed and lift for my GoldWing

5th wheel toy hauler with a garage big enough for RZR and GoldWing (tried it already and HATED IT)

HDT with RZR on the back pulling my current 5er

Re, I hear ya....

Sometimes I think that I need to be more careful what I wish for.......

With a 20 ft Morgan cargo box (ex-Ryder) we have too much cargo capacity.....sometimes......

Of course having a 1,050 pound pet that eats tons of food and drinks 10 to 15 gal of water per day will take up plenty of space and of course there is saddles, blankets, grooming supplies, equine first-aid kits and, and ,and did mention a FULL size GMC Jimmy AND a Honda Quad.........oh don't forget a couple of boat things.......

Friend jokes.......your not white-trash.......your just white folk, with trash.......

At least in the LGT days we simply ran out of room.......these days we simply get so tired of loading toys that we run out of energy before we run out of room........did I mention the ......hot air balloon........

Drive on.........(let's see where did I park the Honda quad in the ........Dolly-garage)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I dunno. I wish you guys would fill out a log book and stick to the 11hr/14hr/70hr.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

With the ldt 400 miles was hard. We did it but hard on us. I towed from Ohio to Houston and was sore my entire upper body. Took days to recover. This really got us thinking on hdt. I had to have a daily commute. The SmartCar was my hold up. Hard to swallow. Has worked at ok so far. Also pick up my Freightliner tomorrow.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I dunno. I wish you guys would fill out a log book and stick to the 11hr/14hr/70hr.

Jeff, great point to ponder...

We are fortunate in that we tend to boondock a fair amount, so often, out in the outback here in the West we are often able to pull over and get Dolly-the-pait-horse out of the toy module and in a few minutes she is napping in her portable corral....... then I nap a bit as well.....

Since we are "seriously-retired" our dash timer seems limited to 6 hours max and thats at long day here in "geezerville".......

A few RV parks have horse pens but they are few and far between ........we know where all of the fairgrounds and rodeo grounds are so often we simply plan from horse pen to another making sure that they fall under our self imposed 6 hr time limit...

I realize that quite a few folks on the forum are still chasing the brass ring so they often have to travel long distances and may be pressed for time.

I am somewhat amazed that my insurance is so low and that is a fair sign that the insurance geeks consider our risk-adjusted-exposure is fairly low.......I try to be mindful that as a geezer I should limit my driving time to not find myself on the back side of the alert-curve.......

Big5er sometimes points out that someday the HDT RV owners might have to become commercial operators with meds, logs, hours of service etc......maybe he is right or maybe not, but a few fatigue induced accidents will likely get the insurance geeks attention ......bad juju.

Drive on...........(Superman may not drive a .....HDT)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

While I am a big proponent of the HDTs for heavy trailers, you really have to admire the new super-pickups. The new Dodge 5500, properly set up, can tow some amazing weights - relative to 10 years ago. And do it safely, as long as you do not go overboard. And with the Link full air ride on it, the ride is very good. Probably BETTER than the HDT bobtail. For really heavy weights, or flexibility in cargo carrying, you cannot beat the HDT. But the super-pickups do a good job on the lighter trailers....

For mid weights something like the listing below might be a low cost solution .....at 25,000 miles total this rig is pretty close to new.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5501593876.html

Drive on........(MDT has a place......)

As most have already pointed out the big difference is the comfort level and the toll on the body. Bobtail in the Super Duty I could drive all day, get up and do it again the next day, no problems. One of our last trips with the Super Duty, pulling our current trailer, I did two 500 miles days back to back. If I had to get back in the truck for a 3rd day it would not have happened. Not a problem with the HDT. We are not retired, still have another 20 yrs or so before we do. A 12 hour day is a long day for us. We don't do it often but we only have so much time so we do what we have to do.

I will say this, I find the HDT so comfortable that on more than once occasion on a long trip I have loaded by 2012 1/2 Chevy LTZ P/U on to the HDT and drove the HDT instead of the P/U. As comfortable and as nice to drive as that P/U is, if I really have a lot of miles to get behind me I would rather do those miles in the HDT if I can.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Has anyone else noticed the shade inside? The windshield angle (more vertical) and visor keeps your upper body out of the direct sunlight blasting your torso.

Air conditioning is fine but that sunshine is uncomfortable in a pickup or car with those huge raked back glass acreage , I never noticed until we got the HTD .

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Has anyone else noticed the shade inside? The windshield angle (more vertical) and visor keeps your upper body out of the direct sunlight blasting your torso.

Air conditioning is fine but that sunshine is uncomfortable in a pickup or car with those huge raked back glass acreage , I never noticed until we got the HTD .

I was just telling someone about the shade this weekend! Almost don't need sunglasses anymore.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Just hit the "Elevate-rocker on the seat and pretty soon you are up in the condo book shelf and the top of the wind shield is even with your belt buckle........feet dangling like a two year old kid in the barbers chair, don't try that with your "little-girlie-truckee".......my copilot calls me back down but it's nice to let the legs dangle-stretch on the long deserted parts of the outback for a minute or two......

Drive on........(Enjoy the ride....)

Archived