I80 Donner Pass CA Port of Entry

brunsje

Folks,

One of the legs of our summer cross country trip takes us from Reno, NV to Red Bluff, CA.

We will be entering CA via I-80.

Our 45’ rig looks like a commercial truck (but isn’t), and we will be towing our Dodge CrewCab Pickup, so our total length is ~71’.

We have been told CA vehicle regulations are more stringent and we may get flagged to stop at the Donner Pass Port of Entry/weigh station in Truckee off I-80.

Has anyone ever done this?

What should we expect?

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Good evening, JohnnyB.

Based on ShowHauler's Website, unless your rig looks substantially different from their pix, I would think you would have no problem at all regarding being mistaken for a commercial vehicle.

If you are concerned about length I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Leave your pick-up attached, and see how the authorities react. If they don't like it, then perhaps the other part of "we" can drive it after it is unattached/unhooked from your rig.

2. Stop before you reach the "Port of Entry," disconnect, continue through the check point, and the "we" can follow you through. Re-connect down the road.

Regards,

Michael

2007 Volvo VNL 670

2007 NuWa HitchHiker Champagne

That is a agriculture check point, not dot, they don't care if your a 100' long, drive 55 and don't stop at weigh stations.

Truckee I 80 is a DOT inspection station. I have had a couple trucks tagged there over the years. And way back when I had my mobile business in Reno I made many a trips there to repair trucks put out of service.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Stay in the RV lane, do not go into the commercial lanes. The RV and vehicle side is a simple agricultural inspection. If they are open, they will stop you and ask if you have any prohibited items on board. They may also ask you if the rig is yours and you are not delivering it for someone to make sure you are not commercial. They should then send you on your way.

A note about your size. The ag inspection people probably won't care about your length, however you will be over length and illegal in CA. The maximum length for a non commercial combination of vehicles (tow vehicle and towed) is 65' in CA. Also, the maximum length for any single vehicle is 45'. This is measured from farthest reaching front point (front bumper) to farthest reaching rear point (rear bumper). If your Motorhome is 45' 1" it is illegal and cannot be driven anywhere in the state of CA. If it is truly 45' or less, but more than 40', then it can be driven in CA, but you are restricted to certain roads. There is nowhere you will be legal with the towed behind you though. You may not have any issues, but be aware of the rules.

On edit, here is the DOT website that gives the rules for buses and motorhome's between 40' and 45':

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-motorhome/

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Stay in the RV lane, do not go into the commercial lanes. The RV and vehicle side is a simple agricultural inspection. If they are open, they will stop you and ask if you have any prohibited items on board. They may also ask you if the rig is yours and you are not delivering it for someone to make sure you are not commercial. They should then send you on your way.

A note about your size. The ag inspection people probably won't care about your length, however you will be over length and illegal in CA. The maximum length for a non commercial combination of vehicles (tow vehicle and towed) is 65' in CA. Also, the maximum length for any single vehicle is 45'. This is measured from farthest reaching front point (front bumper) to farthest reaching rear point (rear bumper). If your Motorhome is 45' 1" it is illegal and cannot be driven anywhere in the state of CA. If it is truly 45' or less, but more than 40', then it can be driven in CA, but you are restricted to certain roads. There is nowhere you will be legal with the towed behind you though. You may not have any issues, but be aware of the rules.

On edit, here is the DOT website that gives the rules for buses and motorhome's between 40' and 45':

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-motorhome/

Chad speaks the truth.......

Last year we were pulled over in a nice turnout just South of Needles and we had the Dollytrolley ramp down giving Dolly-the-paint-horse a 3 gallon bucket drink of water when I hear not one but two CA DOT trucks pull up behind us.........a lady get out of one rig and a guy gets out of the other rig and walk over and ask if all is well........ I said oh we are just stopping for a 3 gallon drink and a coffee can of oats snack......the lady smiled and complimented us on how pretty Dolly is and ask if she could pet her.......

After a minute of small talk the guy DOT officer ask if I knew what my overall combined length was........I said "about 64 feet 4 inches.......he smiled and said "you have measured it"..........I said "oh yes I have" .......he smiled and said "thats just about as long as I thought it was as well....and well under the 65 feet allowed in California.........have a good day sir".

So maybe I can offer some advice for getting "stopped" in CA.........first stop ahead of time so that the LEO does not have to chase you down and turn on those lights and sireeen thingy.........then of course be under 65 feet long.........and lastly take a 1,050 Pound Paint-Horse along to distract and feed oats to so that the LEO will not see that my right hood latch was unhooked.........geezer thing......

Over the years have had very good experiences with CA CHP and DOT they just work for a "interesting-outfit"........

Drive on...........(How long is too......long)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I went thru this A/G - inspection station a few years ago. I went thru the truck lane due to some id10t in that kept speeding up/slowing down with me as I was trying to get over to the RV lane. The inspector waved me thru without even asking me any questions. She stopped the trucks both in front of and behind me but not me. Every vehicle in the RV lane appeared to be stopped.

I would not recommend being in the truck lane but I have entered CA from several other different points of entry (always in the RV lane) and never had any issues. Just answer the questions and sent on my way. On my first visit they did initially mistake me as a truck and go crazy that I was in the RV lane but settled down once they figured it out.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Dolly all the more reason to fill up before hitting California and not stopping until you get to your destination. I also have set off the system that tells me to pull in the truck stop. I use someone else's advice and drive on past. Let them hunt me down if they think I should be in there. The only time I pull in is if the sign says all vehicles over x lbs and does not have an RV Exempt sign. Still only waved on. If you are in Oregon and come across a closed scale, pull on in and ger your weights. They are still on.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Chad, got a link for what they look for at the agricultural check point?

Thanks

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Chad, got a link for what they look for at the agricultural check point?

Thanks

Here you go Phil.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Are you growing your own Dr Pepper now, Phil?

That's not legal in Texas yet.

We have a big problem with smugglers bringing it in in their fuel tanks. It's really dangerous because if it gets too warm, it can cause an explosion. The result is a truck with tires glued to the asphalt.

They are considering legislation allowing only diet, as it won't stick the truck to the road, since it has no sugar.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

:D:) Damn, the whole room is full of comedians :):D

Thanks Chad

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Don't forget the Record Dr. Pepper stock dividend .......follow the$$$$$$

Drive on..........(Don't throw the Dr Pepper cans at.......the scale signs)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Be ready for a language barrier at the ag checkpoint. When we moved from TX to WA, I was driving a 26' UHaul van with a trailer carrying my Jetta. The inspector said "I need to see inside your trailer", so I grabbed the keys to the Jetta. As I was flipping down the left fender to open the door, she said, "No, I need to see inside the trailer", and pointed to the truck. Thankfully she was comfortable with the door only going up about 2', as I was fearful of the avalanche of endless "c-r-a-p" that my wife insisted we keep that'd been tossed willy-nilly atop the load.

Archived