Smart Car Folding Storage Rack

bmzero

I'm working on a project you guys might be interested in. It's a rear storage rack for the Smart cars. This is an evolution of my first proof of concept design.

The video should explain it pretty well. The only thing not shown is the rear bumper bolt connection.

Things I'm considering that I would like your feedback on:

1. Provide brake/running lights on bottom of rack for driving when rack is stowed in up position
  2. Provide see-through window so license plate will be visible when stowed in up position

This setup would add about 6" of length to the Smart, so I doubt we would be able to leave the rack on the car when being transported on the deck of our trucks. It will be all aluminum and very easy to remove (one hitch pin and two bolts).

Here was my proof of concept design that I still use quite a bit with the bikes:

B1E1430E-B232-402C-AB3E-BE99AF1C3492-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I'm liking it. Not meaning to hijack your thread, just hoping that someone interested in one of these might help me out. I have a 2016 Smart & I can't find anyone that can provide a receiver hitch for it. Any ideas? Ideally, looking to carry 2 bikes. Dreaming about carrying 2 kayaks as ridiculous as that might sound. PM me if you don't want to change the direction of the original thread.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

U Haul can install a receiver hitch on a smart.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Here are my comments to your questions:

1. Provide brake/running lights on bottom of rack for driving when rack is stowed in up position Good idea, plus install some at the rear when in the down position in case what you put on the platform blocks the tail light / turn signals.
  2. Provide see-through window so license plate will be visible when stowed in up position You are correct you need something to display the license plate but a window may be difficult because Smart License plate in the middle and so is your sliding support. If you can get it to work great, but same thing as lights above license plate should not be blocked by something on the carrier. How about a license plate mount that is on the rear of the platform, that hinges so that it is visible in either up or down position. You would have to move the license plate when attaching/removing the carrier so two more screws. Need license plate light too.
  3. When carrier is in up position, is it wider that the smart and if so then your panels may cause a drag due to lack of openings. Narrower might be better but then it may not be wide enough to mount the items you want to put on it. can you add more perforations at the outside edges?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Jack, is U-haul installing hitches on the wider 2016 Smarts?

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm liking it. Not meaning to hijack your thread, just hoping that someone interested in one of these might help me out. I have a 2016 Smart & I can't find anyone that can provide a receiver hitch for it. Any ideas? Ideally, looking to carry 2 bikes. Dreaming about carrying 2 kayaks as ridiculous as that might sound. PM me if you don't want to change the direction of the original thread.

Todd

Curt makes a receiver hitch for earlier models. Installed one on my 2011. Fairly easy 1 man install. I use it to carry a bike rack.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Jack, is U-haul installing hitches on the wider 2016 Smarts?

I doubt they are yet, Jim. Since the hitches were not available last I checked. But they may be now.....time marches on.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Here are my comments to your questions:

1. Provide brake/running lights on bottom of rack for driving when rack is stowed in up position Good idea, plus install some at the rear when in the down position in case what you put on the platform blocks the tail light / turn signals.
  2. Provide see-through window so license plate will be visible when stowed in up position You are correct you need something to display the license plate but a window may be difficult because Smart License plate in the middle and so is your sliding support. If you can get it to work great, but same thing as lights above license plate should not be blocked by something on the carrier. How about a license plate mount that is on the rear of the platform, that hinges so that it is visible in either up or down position. You would have to move the license plate when attaching/removing the carrier so two more screws. Need license plate light too.
  3. When carrier is in up position, is it wider that the smart and if so then your panels may cause a drag due to lack of openings. Narrower might be better but then it may not be wide enough to mount the items you want to put on it. can you add more perforations at the outside edges?

Dave

Thanks, Dave. My first thought was to provide a place to attach the license plate when in the up position, but that makes the process take longer. Still working through that one. Could build some type of fixture for the license plate that quickly removes from the Smart and attaches to the bottom of the rack. Lots of options. Not many good ones.

Yes, this design would be slightly wider than the Smart, but it needs to be to carry my road and mountain bikes. A smaller one might work better for the masses, no wider than the Smart.

If you put a scooter on the rack. Would you be able to do wheelies? :)

Ha. Maybe I should add some wheelie bar wheels to the back. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Receiver hitch and an anti-floppage device might eliminate the need for added bolting to the vehicle.

I'm pretty set on this triangulated design. It's 100% secure and I can literally jump up and down on the back side of the rack. I wouldn't try that on most 2" receiver tube racks. The POC design sold me on the triangulation.

The anti-tilt device is great. I have been using that concept (welding nuts to the outside of receiver tube and drilling/threading in bolts to take up slack) for a while. The biggest problem with that design is it requires you to use tools to remove. In this case, since the rack design already uses bolts to secure the hinge to the Smart, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to take out a few more bolts, though. Also, I don't see one listed for the 1.25" receiver tubes.

I'm pretty set on this triangulated design. It's 100% secure and I can literally jump up and down on the back side of the rack. I wouldn't try that on most 2" receiver tube racks. The POC design sold me on the triangulation.

The anti-tilt device is great. I have been using that concept (welding nuts to the outside of receiver tube and drilling/threading in bolts to take up slack) for a while. The biggest problem with that design is it requires you to use tools to remove. In this case, since the rack design already uses bolts to secure the hinge to the Smart, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to take out a few more bolts, though. Also, I don't see one listed for the 1.25" receiver tubes.

Ya I don't see anything but 2" receiver size...

Maybe it's ok if the thieving swines need some tools? :o:D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived