Insurance

Viv and Denis

We are about to buy our first RV!!! Yeah!!! We are soooo excited! We will be full timers as soon as our house sells. Now we are looking at getting insurance so we will be prepared with it when we pick up the rig, hopefully later this week. What insurance (including roadside/towing) do you all find to be the best to work with and offer the best coverage for your motor home and toad? We have compared some prices but the service, when needed, is a better indicator of a good company. What have been your good/bad experiences? Thank you!!!

First of all I hope that you have an understanding of "fulltime liability" insurance. Just like your homeowners that covered you for liability (like some one being injured by falling down your front steps) you now need that same coverage. Different companies call it something different, however not all companies offer it. It also should offer adequate personal property coverage. Usually the company will allow you to have a rider that increases that amt

Its also important to understand the replacement coverage of the vehicles ( agreed value, full replacement etc)

Then and only then can you compare apples to apples for cost

We have been insured by GEICO for almost 30 years. We find their fulltime coverage adequate for us.

While we may certainly get it cheaper at another company, we have been treated very well over the years. Their claim service has never failed us,even thru teenagers and other incidents, its very fast. A new windshield claim on the MH this summer was set up and ready to go in less than 24 hours with the company being chosen for our convenience.( we had to go to them for installation) The glass was delivered in just 2 days

Loyalty to a company has paid off for us

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

My best advise to you is determine what coverage you need and call large companies and get quotes. They are very competitive. Just steer clear of small companies. They will let you down in a pinch due to lack of funds. Seen this first hand. Not us but the other party had cheap insurance. Accident in parking lot. We both agreed he was at fault. His company refused to pay. Progressive jumped in, our company, and paid for my truck. Stated drop in bucket for them. Likely costly for the small company. I have called other companies and no one can compare. Reason is our 0 deductibles. As long as accident free we will likely stay with them due to this. We do check but never less money.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We have Progressive full-timers coverage and Coach Net for road service on our motorhome. If I could suggest. You may want to insure the rv with the same company as your house, cars for now. When --- the house sells and you become full-time, you could then change to full-timers coverage. Circumstances, decisions etc, it was 4 years later before we sold our house. If we had purchased the full-timers coverage when we first had the motorhome, we would have paid for additional coverages we did not need. Once the house sold, we changed to the proper coverages immediately. After your house sells, you will need to check the insurance rates where you are domiciled (if different) as the area will determine rates and you may make a different decision than you would right now. That is if you domicile away from the area where you currently live.

Pat DeJong

There is a great deal more difference in RV insurance with a full-time clause than just additional liability. Most standard RV policies have a maximum number of days that the RV can be in use and they are less than 365 so if you do not buy a policy for fulltimers you may not have any coverage at all. Fulltimer coverage costs more because it covers much more. I suggest that you contact some of these companies which have excellent reputations in the RV community. You will need to know the year, make, and model of the RV.

Miller Insurance Agency

AIS RV Insurance

Explorer RV Insurance

RV Advantage

Foremost Insurance

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have received several quotes and the the one we have been with for 43 years (Allstate) is the most expensive:-(

Did Allstate quote you for fulltimers insurance? Because, as far as I know, they don't offer fulltimers insurance.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 7 months later...

We contacted our current homeowners (Liberty Mutual) to see about getting fulltimers RV insurance since we will be mostly living in the RV, but keeping the house for our daughter and occasional visits. They said we would have to change the house to "landlord" insurance, oh and they don't cover RV insurance. Looks like we'll be moving everything over to Geico and save money. I checked with Explorer RV and even though I got several emails to expect a call, no one ever called. Geico has been the most responsive and best price for the coverage so far. Oh and they insure our older RV with Foremost.

First, welcome to the Escapee forums, and to the RV club as well! It is really great having you join us here. We will do our best to help as much as possible.

I'm not surprised that your homeowner's insurance company doesn't carry fulltimer insurance for an RV. When you do contact the company you choose, be sure to mention the fulltime clause as it could be very important. If you would like to compare rates a bit, here are several companies that are popular with the Escapees members.

Miller Insurance AIS insurance Foremost Insurance

We went with FCIS(800-331-1520) as Nationwide would not cover our MDT. Since then we switched to a MH, still no coverage. FCIS is a broker and has access to several companies, they know their business. When we switched to full-time our cost went up about $200. Policy includes glass coverage, some don't. With those big windshields you definitely want glass coverage. Our policy is with Allied(a Nationwide subsidiary) but their agents aren't allowed to insure through them(at least 3 years ago).

Coachnet for towing and our MH policy also has a $750 towing allowance. We feel we are well covered.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i guess it's mostly where you live. I have had Blue Sky for last 4 years. dirt cheap price $480 first year then down to $460. This year $690. No Claims, No Accidents. Talked with my agent,said they have been switching ppl over to Different companys away from blue sky. Mostly all had no claims. my new company which still in process of getting it quote is $600. $80 cheaper. Give them a call they quote from multi insurance companys.

Rachael Galiano, CISR
Licensed Agent
Gila Insurance Group LLC
903 S. 8th Ave.
Safford, AZ 85546
877-784-6787

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

These forums are great I learned something new every time I read a topic I had checked on insurance was never told about full-time policy will check on Monday

That is a very kind thing to say and we do appreciate it.

As you compare insurance quotes be very careful to make sure that the coverage's are the same or equivalent. Never forget that the insurance agent is a commissioned sales person, just the same as the car or RV sales people are and like them he does not make one dime until he sells you something. Cheap insurance is a great thing as long as you have no claims, but when the worst happens you want the best coverage, no matter what the cost might have been. I strongly suggest that you get quotes from several different agencies and let them know that you are doing so. Here are a few that have long histories with Escapee members.

Miller Insurance

AIS Insurance

Explorer Insurance

RV Advantage

Or - you can find an agent that will give you quotes for full-timers policies from several different companies. Our agency in S Dakota was able to quote Blue Sky, Progressive, Geico and 1 other one. They prepared the quotes, we reviewed them and made our selection. They did the quotes with the same coverages, deductible etc unless the company did not offer it. In that case, they pointed out the difference.

Pat DeJong

Archived