Holes in slidetopper

rdickinson

The other day on a walkaround I noticed a hole the size of a quarter in the dining room slidetopper. After reluctantly climbing up on the roof I saw it plus the start of others wearing thru all in the same line over the length of the topper.

The rig is in Indian River for a couple of weeks while I deal with family issues in Victoria. The repair facility won't do patches only complete replacement...as if that's going to happen. So, I'm thinking of Eternabond tape or perhaps car wrap vinyl decal material.

What say you?? Clean it with appropriate cleaner, adequate overlap, round corners of patch so they don't catch, patch from top so no-one will see them....??

Thanks

I figure the topper stops sideways blowing rain and debris from getting into the slide gaskets. Re what tape to use, I figured Eternabond because of it's sticking power, same for 3M decal material.

I'll ask about Gorilla tape, don't know how it reacts to being outside and ability to stand up to UV.

I've had success with awning repair tape several times. You might even find a color to match your awning enough to be unnoticeable from the ground. Eternabond is thick enough to make a permanent stretch place in overlapping rolls of the awning when stored.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've had success with awning repair tape several times. You might even find a color to match your awning enough to be unnoticeable from the ground. Eternabond is thick enough to make a permanent stretch place in overlapping rolls of the awning when stored.

Not to be too negative , but a 2 year old fabric that already has holes in it probably won't last long enough to raise a concern about a 1/16" stretch ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I donno about that. My cousin sideswiped a tree the first week after buying a new TT. We patched the tear with awning tape (both sides). That was 5 years ago and the tape is holding tight, since the color matches closely, if you don't know it's there it's hard to spot. The slide toppers on our MH are original, I've patched some bad spots and the toppers are still serviceable. Not bad for 15 yr old topper material, which normally has a 2 yr guarantee.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There must be something in, on or under the awning 'cus all the marks/holes are in a line the same distance from the side of the trailer. The worst one, I may be able to deal with from both sides. The rest, from the top only.

If taped from the top, no-one will see it. I don't normally drive down the road with the slide and toppers out. I took some pics. maybe it would be better to clean the whole line from the top and tape the topper the full length and add what I can from underneath.

Here we go again, ladder work, awkward reaching, no way to secure the ladder. This doesn't bode well.

We've got an assortment of step and extension ladders at the Habitat site in Fellsmere...Maybe that would be the best place to do it. Level packed ground or on the blacktop road. I'd better practice what I preach re safety.

UTube should provide some options.

After the strong winds and rain last night here in Myrtle Beach, I wish I had an awning business. There's more than one tattered slide topper flapping around. I also noticed quite a few RV's had all their slides pulled in. This is why I never wanted, or have toppers.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

When we're expecting winds high enough to cause our topper to flap, I toss a light rope over it the long way and tie it under the slide. No problems so far, and it's much quieter. The patio awning gets stowed of course. I've also seen seasonal campers with standard awning deflappers clamped on their toppers tied down to ground anchors or under the bottom of the slide.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

There must be something in, on or under the awning 'cus all the marks/holes are in a line the same distance from the side of the trailer. The worst one, I may be able to deal with from both sides. The rest, from the top only.

If taped from the top, no-one will see it. I don't normally drive down the road with the slide and toppers out. I took some pics. maybe it would be better to clean the whole line from the top and tape the topper the full length and add what I can from underneath.

Here we go again, ladder work, awkward reaching, no way to secure the ladder. This doesn't bode well.

We've got an assortment of step and extension ladders at the Habitat site in Fellsmere...Maybe that would be the best place to do it. Level packed ground or on the blacktop road. I'd better practice what I preach re safety.

UTube should provide some options.

If you're talking Fellsmere, Fl. I'll be happy to help you if we can schedule a time a few days in advance. I'm in Palm Bay.

That would be appreciated, don't want any more broken bones.

The plan is to fly into Orlando next Wednesday from Victoria BC, arriving 1130 pm local. Pick up the truck from the truck repair place in Orland that night, drive to Indian River to get the trailer, work will have been completed by then. Bunk there for a few hrs sleep then head to the Habitat digs in Vero Beach to load up the food being stored for me in their refer units. So that would be Thursday, I have 2 nights at Wikam in Melbourne, Thurs and Friday Then probably to Fellsmere Sat or Sunday. The next 2 week build cycle starts Tuesday and they're leaving the Cabinet installation for me.

So any of these locations works for me providing the proper ladder as well as repair and prep materials can be located. I'm more concerned about the prep work...as in so many other areas, the pep is the most important.

PM me a contact phone # and I'll send mine. I still have some international minutes on my Canadian phone, starts with 403 area code but will be picking up an American burner phone from Verizon in Vero on 20th St/Hiway 60

Randy with the gimped hand is at Wikam, he may have or be able to locate a ladder.

If your social calendar permits, you could tag along on Thursday seeing as you don't have an HDT. The repairs may or may not get done that day. All of this is within a radius of a few miles.

I can make any plan work.

Thanks for the offer.

Archived