Microsoft pushing hard for Windows 10 installations

Ray,IN

Tonight on Entertainment Tonight, the hosts(not a commercial) did a brief spot for Microsoft promoting the upgrade to Windows 10. Is that getting desperate or what's the motivation for this hard sell? I'm satisfied with Win 8.1, and Microsoft gives me until Sep 16 to upgrade-right?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

not sure of exact date, but yes ms is getting almost as bad as aol yrs ago when you found there disk in box's of soap, in the post office,

some of my pc customers i had to tell them to put there pictures/doc on data stick (usb) then upgrade to win 10. prior some had issues with opening there photo's were given error mesg, do not have permission to view.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I'm satisfied with Win 8.1

But you could be more satisfied with W10. :)

You still now have 30 days to revert back to W8.1 if you don't like the faster starts etc of W10.

No problems with both a HP Laptop & Desktop PC on W10 install.

I did use the custom install to shut off a lot of MS spyware. :P

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yes, one has to wonder why Microsoft is pushing so hard for users to upgrade. There are a number of theories floating around that I will not get into, but the end result is that I no longer trust Microsoft. The problem I see with Windows 10 is not the OS, but the stupid policies that Microsoft has implemented. Some of these are forced updates that frequently cause problems, the inability to turn off all data collection, sharing your Wi-Fi with others, and the biggest concern for RV'ers on limited bandwidth connections, peer-to-peer distribution of updates.

Most of my video software runs under Windows only. For that I have a Win 7 machine that no longer connects to the Internet. All of my other computer tasks are now done using another operating system.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

But you could be more satisfied with W10. :)

There's no such thing as "more satisfied", either you're satisfied or not.

If Win7 or Win8 does everything you ask of your machine, there is no reason to change to another OS. It's not always an upgrade, just because it's newer. Everyone is not a geek who has to have the latest and greatest or stay on the bleeding edge.

From what I've read about Win10, it better serves Microsoft's interest than my own.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

There's no such thing as "more satisfied", either you're satisfied or not.

There is such a Thing. :rolleyes:

How to be more Satisfied with Life

More Satisfied at Work

More Satisfied With Airports

And many more Satisfied Things. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

When/if, the point comes and I have no option but to upgrade to 10, everything I do that contains personal info will be using this: http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

i have customers at all pc savy levels. Most have win7, i tell them it will last another 4+ years. win7 is the new xp. more user friendly.

one's that got 8.1 after month or so are finally good with it. on new systems, one's that came with 10 great speed. boot time, ect..

but yes it all boils down to there (ms) advertising, like when they first advertised win 8. everybody wanted it. with the moving tiles ect..

once ppl got it they couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

In a nutshell, most pc's last a good 4/5 years. depending on what age your pc is now, switch/upgrade as your next one will be win 10. just for the fact that

you can get some learning on new os. but if its only a yr old or so. stick to what ya got.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Pretty typical Microsoft heavy handed activities. If you new product isn't what you promised, just work to force people to use it.

Right on Kirk......sorta that Curry smell....

Drive on.........(Please pass the .....rice)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

i have customers at all pc savy levels. Most have win7, i tell them it will last another 4+ years. win7 is the new xp. more user friendly.

one's that got 8.1 after month or so are finally good with it. on new systems, one's that came with 10 great speed. boot time, ect..

but yes it all boils down to there (ms) advertising, like when they first advertised win 8. everybody wanted it. with the moving tiles ect..

once ppl got it they couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

In a nutshell, most pc's last a good 4/5 years. depending on what age your pc is now, switch/upgrade as your next one will be win 10. just for the fact that

you can get some learning on new os. but if its only a yr old or so. stick to what ya got.

Your suggestion to stay with 8.1 is what I've been contemplating. Suppose that is my final decision, how do I now delete all the bloat = Win 10 pre-installation files? I do not have anything but the recover discs I made after purchasing this machine.

Ray,

Here's a solution, and a free utility at that.

How to Disable the Get Windows 10 Update GWX App Completely

GWX = Get Windows X or 10.

Excerpt:

"Since May 2015, Microsoft has been pushing out the Get Windows 10 app or what is known as the GWX app. If you want to upgrade, it’s a useful tool in determining if your PC can run Windows 10 and prepare it for the upgrade. But if you’re not upgrading, you probably don’t like seeing the Get Windows 10 notification all day."

The article and link to download can be found here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-windows-10-update-gwx-update-app/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Great bud!

I would advise you to start reading about 10 however because it will have longer support than 7 and 8/8.1 respectively. To be honest, I like the hybrid of an expanded start page from the start button. I actually like 10 better in some ways. And I find 8.1 better only in some of the tablet functions. But once they get Edge all finished with extensions and several other glaring items that need work this will be their best OS yet for everyone, as it already is for many of us that are using it now.

I don't like their pushing 10 on users so hard that they give in rather than opt in. OTOH, I have five more fingers.

;):D

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ray,

Here's a solution, and a free utility at that.

How to Disable the Get Windows 10 Update GWX App Completely

GWX = Get Windows X or 10.

Excerpt:

"Since May 2015, Microsoft has been pushing out the Get Windows 10 app or what is known as the GWX app. If you want to upgrade, it’s a useful tool in determining if your PC can run Windows 10 and prepare it for the upgrade. But if you’re not upgrading, you probably don’t like seeing the Get Windows 10 notification all day."

The article and link to download can be found here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-windows-10-update-gwx-update-app/

I'm using GWX to prevent any updates that will in any way try and start the W10 update process and it's doing a great job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Windows 7 and I have no intentions of switching. I won't be badgered or tricked into the install if I can help it. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Chuck, that should do it. Just keep your eye on the feedback so you can take another look before the time runs out. If you are going to keep[ running 7 until you need to buy a new computer that is a good strategy as the bugs are almost all gone now, and later it will be even more solid.

Back when 7 came out I refused to upgrade my system which had Windows 7 with a downgrade to XP. Jack and everyone here finally got me to come over to 7. I had a great time with it but now am into mobile and touch, very into it despite using a keyboard 90% of the time.

IT is pretty good actually. Even the 8 haters like it. (Give it to Mikey, he hates everything) ;)

Like I said with 8. If you like 7 and have seven no need to change. If you decide you need the new services then you can buy in anytime. :)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived