Full timing with a dog

Harleydmn

We full time with our black lab/border collie mix, plus a cat. We have never had a problem finding a campground that allows pets. Some commercial campgrounds do limit the number of dogs (typically 2 max.). And National Parks and National Monuments generally do not allow dogs on the trails outside of the campground, although there is often other public land nearby for going on walks.

You may have a few that have a restriction because of breed and/size. There are also some that if you pulled in and they saw a well behaved dog of any breed, would have no problem. Forest service and Corp of Engineer parks would allow any breed/size. Many parks just have a # of dog limit (usually 2). We travel with a small dog. If she were not welcome, we wouldn't stay either.

Pat DeJong

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I hope that you find the assistance and support here that you are looking for and please do not hesitate to ask any question of to comment on any subject!

I very much agree with what Pat posted. In our years of RV travels we have on a few occasions found parks that do restrict the size of dogs an sometimes they also prohibit some breeds, but most of them don't take action if the visitor is a only staying for a short time and there are no complaints against the dog(s) in the RV. Much more common are limits to the number of dogs or sometimes pets an that tends to be 3 or so in most cases, but there is probably an exception to any statement. The parks where people stay for a month or longer tend to have more such rules and stronger enforcement of them.

I think that you will find that a majority of us have a pet of some kind and seldom have any problems related to that. It is important that pet droppings be picked up promptly, that the pets are quiet and don't bother anyone, and most of the usual rules of etiquette for pets. We travel with a 40# corgi mix.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My German Shepherd weighs 120# and has a lot of puppy left. He is everybody's friend and no problems. I did get him a month old kitten in February to keep him occupied when I'm out of the trailer. They are great buds. If I ever ran into a RV park that wouldn't accept him, I wouldn't stay there either.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Nina of http://wheelingit.us does wonderful campground reviews and she always includes information about how friendly the place was for their dog. It's a good place to start learning what's out there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We've been RVing 9 yrs with our two female German Shepherds. Only once, in Rabun County Georgia, did the owner of a private campground say: You can't stay here. I don't allow German Shepherds , never have, never will...... yet she touts on her website she is totally pet friendly, has her own Labrador dogs on site with pictures, etc.

Another instance north of Charleston SC the owner kept questioning me about the breed of my dogs, whereupon I always respond "Mix." We were already checked in and I was walking them on leashes. He said: They sure look like German Shepherds, and I would say they are some kind of mix, the vet isn't sure, and gave him a sing-song story. I was never sure what he was driving at or why, so I just stuck to the 'mix' version. We've stayed there several times, he just seems interested in the dogs but no real problems. We always clean up after our dogs, walk with our pockets stuffed with plastic bags 'just in case', if they bark, they get a reprimand and the barking stops , are always on a short lead, and never let them walk into other peoples' sites to sniff or mark the territory.

It's been much easier camping with the dogs than it has been finding dog-friendly motels that are clean enough for us or the dogs, don't charge non-refundable deposits on each dog, nor restrict the weight of the dog to under 25 pounds, or book us in an upstairs room with open mesh steel stairs after requesting the ground floor due to the dogs. Good luck.

Make sure that you carry all of the dogs vaccination documents with you. I have been asked to verify that my dog has had its shots. This was at a campground in New York State. They said it was NY State law.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Yes, the dog's medical records are helpful. We have never been asked by a campground, but we did need them for the groomer and have supplied copies with vets that we have used in areas we tend to stay for longer periods. This has enabled us to get emergency care, routine vacinations as needed and prescriptions filled for eye medication that our dog needs. They will approve prescription requests from online supply facilities when we are away from the area.

Pat DeJong

Just be upfront about your dog and the few parks which have a problem with it will let you know. It that is your biggest difficulty, you will have very smooth sailing!

Keep us posted about your progress as we are here to help. I think that we who have done this before you live just a little bit vicariously through our exchanges with new folks, since the excitement of one's first RV can only be experienced one time. We look forward to your adventure nearly as much as you! :D

In four years I've had one campground in Florida that said I could stay because our dog was over 25 Lbs. We have a Golden/Australian Shepard mix and she is very friendly almost to the extreme. I usually check the parks web site and most of the time they will list any dog restrictions.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

We were at Little River Canyon National Preserve in Alabama a couple weeks ago. They have an extremely nice visitor center which permit pets inside. We didn't take our standard schnauzer at first time but they heard him bark and asked me to get him. He went right up to the desk and put his paws on the counter while they handed him treats. They also had dog drinking bowls under the drinking fountains. It was all very nice and again, the facility was gorgeous. Dogs on leash allowed on all of the trails.

Dave and Lana Hasper

We were at Little River Canyon National Preserve in Alabama a couple weeks ago. They have an extremely nice visitor center which permit pets inside. We didn't take our standard schnauzer at first time but they heard him bark and asked me to get him.

That sounds like a great place to visit and since I've not been there it is now on my list! Thanks for the information. I took the liberty of adding a link to their page in the quote from your post. One question: do they allow dogs on the trails?

We've been RVing 9 yrs with our two female German Shepherds.

Another instance north of Charleston SC the owner kept questioning me about the breed of my dogs, whereupon I always respond "Mix." We were already checked in and I was walking them on leashes. He said: They sure look like German Shepherds, and I would say they are some kind of mix, the vet isn't sure, and gave him a sing-song story. I was never sure what he was driving at or why, so I just stuck to the 'mix' version.

Hmmmmmmmm....."sing-song story" and "mix version". Aren't those just sugar coating words for what you really did?

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

You will find a few places that do not allow specific breeds of dogs and often the GSD is lumped in with the know "bad" breeds. There are also a few places that do not allow dogs on all or specific trails.

Just be up front and tell them you have a dog and the breed. Ask about trail use with a dog.

Most of the dog restrictions have come about due to irresponsible and inconsiderate dog owners, so be responsible and follow the rules and pick up after your dog.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

BasicRV, on 30 Nov 2015 - 5:35 PM, said:

Never had a problem. In fact most RV parks have dog parks now that encourage pets

Granted, we don't stay in RV parks much, but the only RV parks we've stayed at that have dog runs are a few of the Escapees' parks (Pahrump comes to mind). I cannot remember a commercial park where we've stayed that had a dog run. Most of them have a dog-walking area, but some of those are a joke...so filled with stickers that it's impossible for a dog to walk there.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

A few of the newer RV parks that we have been in the last several years have dog walking areas but are few and far between. The park we are in Yuma, AZ. all pets must be walked outside the park and not around your site. There is a sandy area that borders both sides of the street outside the park. There are trash cans provided for the pet waste to be deposited.

Archived