Stupid autoshift xmission question

Exile

So, how do you run the throttle pedal when driving an automatically shifting manual transmission?

Do you just mash the pedal down or do you reduce throttle when it changes gears?

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

The engine ECM and the transmission ECM co-ordinate actions. You just hold your throttle position. Sometimes the Jack brake is involved in slowing the engine (for a few milliseconds) for the gears to engage.

Usually in my case, that is what the cruise control is doing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Just mash the throttle. It will,do everything. There is no direct mechanical connection from the accelerator to the engine. Is is all electrical through the computer. It will also learn your driving style and adapt the throttle response to that style.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I'm a pumper. I "level off" pedal right before it changes gears just like I would (and at the same time as I would) a manual. It usually changes. If it doesn't change then I use the button. If it still doesn't change then I jam two buttons on it. If it still doesn't change then I call it a bad name while it is dinging back at me....

If it still doesn't change then I call it a bad name . . .

I've found this technique useful for many HDT components and systems, not just transmissions.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I'm a pumper. I "level off" pedal right before it changes gears just like I would (and at the same time as I would) a manual. It usually changes. If it doesn't change then I use the button. If it still doesn't change then I jam two buttons on it. If it still doesn't change then I call it a bad name while it is dinging back at me....

Scrap.........Bad Boy.....Bad Boy.....shame on you.......

So.......IF you were to read (and decipher) the "operations" manual CAREFULY you will HAVE to COMPLY with the FINAL-AUTHORITY (Computer) regarding "Vehicle-Dynamic-Energy-Management" (VDEM)........

It is OBVIOUS that you skimmed-over the most IMPORTANT instructions in the ops-manual.........here it is in a nutshell......." It is important that the driver operate the vehicle in a NORMAL manner.........THE transmission will "LEARN" the drivers habits and.........THEN........the Computer WILL make ADJUSTMENTS to the ENERGY-MANAGEMENT as it Damn-Sees-Fit......AND WILL PUNISH THE DUMB DRIVER into......OBLIVION.......

Trust me.......the CIA, NIA, FAA, FFA, AAA, ...........AND....... your tranny computer knows more about you than you could ever imagine..........

Obviously, your Tranny-Computer knows your name (and your 'Habits")....So......what would a computer-punishment be for a chap named Scrap? ? ?

How about this potential-glimpse-of-your-auto-shift-future...............Perhaps you pull up to a RED stop light..........tranny-computer-determines- appropriate-Punishment-Mode"........the traffic light turns GREEN............truck larches-BACKWARDS........but stops........just as it starts to bend the windshield-wiper-arms on the Cop-car that was sitting behind you........... you are now.........Scrap......

Do NOT mess with Tranny-Computers or EXwives.........

Drive on.........( No reverse gear at freeway speeds........) :(

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I am sure Scrap is doing all those things to intentionally confuse the heavily automated device he is forced to deal with. He will not prevail but it is satisfying.

I am reasonably sure just driving it like any automatic, car or truck, Allison or automated manual. Smooth moves would probably be best.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Scrap reminds my of an old uncle that I have. Uncle Mike was full of great sayings but I always wondered if he was serious when he would say "If you can't fix it with the all tools you got, just get a bigger hammer". :)

He was a great motorcycle enthusiast too. He believed the faster the better. The last wreck he had, I was there when the Dr. said "Mr. Carroll, you have a concussion". Uncle Mike's reply was simple. "Another one?"

Of course with that attitude, the first time I went to him to teach me how to change the brakes on my car, he said "What do ya need brakes for, kid? All they do is slow ya down". He really is a good mechanic, but he has always been about a half bubble off plumb. :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey could be worse, if you are a calibration engineer with me it is a dollar bill in the cupholder every time the truck screws up a shift. You get to take one out every time I reach for the button and it shifts before I get there.

But you have to think like a truck. Its not going to shift under torque, so back off torque and it'll crack a couple out. If going into a sharp corner knock it back one so you did the thinking for it before truck and trailer start to bind and pull back. When it is learning you it is reading the dragback (ie: deceleration) on each of your last few shifts. So the more you button it early, the more you button it after letting off torque, the earlier it is going to head for doing that itself. Also if you see an uphill corner or something out of your window that is different than what you've been doing for the past few shifts you are going to have to help it out early, just like you would set yourself up in a manual. When it is dinging at me it is because I tried to kick on an upshift too early. It knows its land RPM and it isn't going to let that be anywhere near an open clutch, so it pretty much gives you the middle finger. So I hit it again. It either dings again or I've changed speed/RPM just enough to let it happen. Remember I'm trying to catch it right at that point. Also know that it double clutches the lower gears (non-DM) so you have to give it time for that. I dunno, I guess I know what I want it to do and it darn well better do it!

I am sure Scrap is doing all those things to intentionally confuse the heavily automated device he is forced to deal with. He will not prevail but it is satisfying.

I am reasonably sure just driving it like any automatic, car or truck, Allison or automated manual. Smooth moves would probably be best.

Jeff..... you bring to light one of the conundrums of humans interfacing with automation.........sometime humans do not win......

Since the first basic Autopilot........aircraft designers have been trying to get rid of the human pilots.......with limited success.

Some of the most tragic aircraft accidents have occurred when the autopilot and the human pilot do not play well together.

Prior to public use, certified aircraft flight systems undergo rigorous experimental testing and accelerated service use that will often find the "bugs" before the general pilot population starts to use the systems.

History has proven that NO MATTER the exhaustive and intense the pre-production autopilot testing is.............often it is a pilot named "Scrap" that finds the evil-magic-touch that drives the autopilot into "kamikaze-mode" and often then things get ugly fast......

Be careful with "Automation".........computers have "knowledge"....... but often do not have a sense of humor.......

Drive on..........(Don't get your auto-whatever upset.........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

That's why there's a dog kept in the flight deck in modern aircraft. Bites the pilot if they touch anything. ????

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

hate to say it but this sounds like me as I get use to my work truck.

Hey could be worse, if you are a calibration engineer with me it is a dollar bill in the cupholder every time the truck screws up a shift. You get to take one out every time I reach for the button and it shifts before I get there.

But you have to think like a truck. Its not going to shift under torque, so back off torque and it'll crack a couple out. If going into a sharp corner knock it back one so you did the thinking for it before truck and trailer start to bind and pull back. When it is learning you it is reading the dragback (ie: deceleration) on each of your last few shifts. So the more you button it early, the more you button it after letting off torque, the earlier it is going to head for doing that itself. Also if you see an uphill corner or something out of your window that is different than what you've been doing for the past few shifts you are going to have to help it out early, just like you would set yourself up in a manual. When it is dinging at me it is because I tried to kick on an upshift too early. It knows its land RPM and it isn't going to let that be anywhere near an open clutch, so it pretty much gives you the middle finger. So I hit it again. It either dings again or I've changed speed/RPM just enough to let it happen. Remember I'm trying to catch it right at that point. Also know that it double clutches the lower gears (non-DM) so you have to give it time for that. I dunno, I guess I know what I want it to do and it darn well better do it!

Scrap.......You really hit the nail on the head in your statements........

I am just "spit-balling" here .........likely you have a CDL with maybe a endorsement for doubles......maybe triples......maybe HAZMAT.....maybe tankers..........BUT.............MAYBE.....JUST MAYBE you might need a Restriction allow ...........ONLY MANUAL SHIFT...... :D

All kidding aside .........You-R-Da-Man.......It takes someone like you to "Service-TEST" a HDT Auto-shift system since you KNOW how the truck energy needs to be utilized and........ when.....

Scrap, Jeff.....Bronc,.......face the facts........your likely suffering from ......"GTS" (Geezer Trucker Syndrome).....(see GTS mission statement underlined below)

"I dunno, I guess I know what I want it to do and it darn well better do it!"

Lets pick-apart the GTS mission statement.......

1. "I dunno, Oh ya thats a real giggle........the Geezer Trucker KNOWS.......Period......

2. I guess This is just a lame attempt by the Geezer Trucker to be politically correct.......just ignore this

3. I know what I want it to do and it darn well better do it!" What don't you understand here......"get-out-of-the-way"

I wonder what Grumps would say if Scrap took him out for a drive in the newest "wonder-truck".........I would guess that Grumps eyes would bug out as you drove down the access ramp to the freeway and set the cruise at 71MPH and "floated" down the road in total climate-control with Dolby sound of ........Lawrence Welk ........and the Krups Coffee maker injecting you with yuppie-joe........in a mile or two Grumps would look over and grin and ask........"well, how much do you charge a driver to ride around in this........"thing"??

Fast foreward......turn off the freeway........onto a steep, rough, twisty, rutted, muddy,pot-holed logging road and the auto-tranny tried to cope and then Grumps would say.......did the maroon that invented this auto-tranny ever take a ride in a truck first? ? ?

Grumps measure a driver by... "how nice a ride the logs had on the truck"......in other words did the driver take every advantage to NOT abuse the truck on a very bad road.....

Some hauls are measured by CONSTANT Smooth driving and Bronc has stated that a truck half full of house paint is a real incentive to perfect smoooooooth......I am afraid to ask who and how you clean up 122 gallons of too many colors of house paint spilled from the inside of a trailer........

Auto-Trannys are likely the future so in the mean time two things will have to happen........auto-trannys will need to improve .....AND......Geezer Truckers will just need to ...........drive to the end of the road.......

Drive on..........(Shift as needed.........)

Archived