Regeneration Blues

Jemstone

At least you still have a sense of humor. I am betting they will be able to clean the existing unit and return it to you for a "normal" rate. I see more post 2008 trucks on the hook than old tired ones by a long shot. I think the wrecker associations had something to do with the implementation of the EPA regs.

Jeff....

Below is a comment from a KW thread on the Trucker Report might refer to the herd of trucks addicted to "the-hook"........ is this why all of the wreckers now seen to have very little paint and ALL chrome..........where else can you spend all that tow loot......

A friend that has logged too many tow-miles joked........"look at the bright side......since my steers are seldom on the road......these tires will never wear out and since the truck is in the shop a fair amount of time they should not weather-check......."

He says the engine is great and the dealer says that it is just a combo of marginal sensors and grumpy computer.........the fix is in the works in the mean time he is very aware of any missed regens and makes sure to get a forced regen when needed..........he says it's his best insurance for staying off the "hook"

Well Zen Trucker I am not an owner/Operator But Currently driving a 2013 T 680! I know trucks are like Microsoft O/S 1st 500 or so will have issues mine had less than 6500 miles on it and DEF dozer went to Sh-T and now it needs to go back to shop because of EGR Plugged ! I think this Yr model is so new that the techs are outdated with this model and all need new training! The company I drive for has another 3 units same setup the first one before it rolled out of our shop had to be sent to The DEALER for the DEF dozer! then my truck make it #2 now the 3rd is in the shop in Sacramento KW with Dozer gone My Company is realy upset with KW,s but Dealer is doing all that they can to keep good faith

Drive on..........(Avoid the........hook)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Interesting product, Jim. It likely is similar to what Gregg is using. I wonder if it would be effective on our trucks....volume might be an issue, but for a temporary resolution of the issue it may work. Do you have a source for it?

Jack: I was considering it as a temporary fix so I could get into the "big city" for repairs.

I have shut down a regen (twice now) when it started while I was at a stop light. The first time the truck did that I thought the truck was on fire. Once I am on the highway, I ask for a regen, but I am not sure if it is occurring because I am driving. I am not sure why Volvo is allowing a regen to occur when the Truck is not moving. A lot of heat is being generated under the cab. It would seem safer for regen to occur ONLY while the truck is moving and there is a lot of air flow.

It looks like this product is not available in the U.S. I did a some research for similar products and again found not available in the U.S. Could it be that the tow truck drivers DC lobbyist have "convinced" Congress that these products do not comply with EPA regs (not wanting to start a fire storm or get into a political discussion)? It just seemed odd to me. I check Ebay and the product is available in England.

Call Gregg at rvhaulers and get a contact. Then get them to ship you some. Gregg says the Wurth stuff works great.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Well Zen Trucker I am not an owner/Operator But Currently driving a 2013 T 680! I know trucks are like Microsoft O/S 1st 500 or so will have issues mine had less than 6500 miles on it and DEF dozer went to Sh-T and now it needs to go back to shop because of EGR Plugged ! I think this Yr model is so new that the techs are outdated with this model and all need new training! The company I drive for has another 3 units same setup the first one before it rolled out of our shop had to be sent to The DEALER for the DEF dozer! then my truck make it #2 now the 3rd is in the shop in Sacramento KW with Dozer gone My Company is realy upset with KW,s but Dealer is doing all that they can to keep good faith

Who provides the emissions systems - is it a chassis thing or a powerplant thing? If it's powerplant, it's likely wrong to blame the truck manufacturer.

This is not a truck...but the powerplant is similar--about 4-500hp. When we were at the Claas combine plant in Omaha, we were told that the cost of the powerplant "module" for 2014/15 was 35% engine, 15% transmission, 50% Emissions. The emissions stuff took up about 50% of the room on the module too!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

When they came up with the crossover system (DPF inside RH rail, SCR inside LH rail, decomp tube looped over the driveline) word on the street was that an average RH t-bone was $12,500 before it touched any cab parts. Whether that still holds true 5 years later today I don't know. Also almost all dosing injectors for every brand truck is made by CES. They sit in the exhaust pipe and mix together exhaust, coolant, DEF, a piezo squirter, and it has to make a pulsed fog that is just right. It is going to go bad. It is one of those things where you can lose 3 days while you watch your OE make a science project out of all the refractometers, spray tests, etc, etc, or you can just get one for $300 and put it on in about 15 minutes. That's in well used trucks though. In new trucks they need to go through all that business to figure out what's routed wrong, designed too long, doesn't get enough pressure, doesn't get enough heat, etc, etc, to figure out what's killing the chemistry project in the exhaust. There's 10 bagillion chassis layouts out there and some of them just don't work.

And be careful with your cleaning solutions. Too much of a good thing and you've got sticky soot that can't be baked out later. A lot of that type stuff is for cars or other automotive uses where your DPF/CAT is a single spun can that isn't made to take apart. While I have no idea on the Volvo vertical unit, most of the truck ones are made as a clamped together unit where the honeycomb part is made to come out and go into a FSX machine to be blown out and baked. If you've got the means and place to work you don't need to give the dealer a bunch of labor $ to dig through brackets and fairings when you can dig your way in, pop the filter out, and take it in for a cleaning for like $250 with regular hand tools.

Lastly, as you found out, the DPF side doesn't have an eco computer to slap you with a 5mph limit. The guy on the phone had it crossed as that is the DEF side that does that. It also doesn't slap you as soon as it happens. You get a 10 hour timer or a key cycle. The DPF side just hits your stop engine light. If it is programmed to shut down on stop engine it'll shut down. Again, it takes a truck DPF a long time and many other flashing lights to get to that point. But when she gets there she's not happy at all. Hope they get it fixed painlessly.

After a full week we got the Volvo back from the service dept. of the Las Vegas Volvo truck dealer. The Bill was $3,127.29. Sending the DPF out for cleaning was $598.00. Much of the rest of the bill was for the parts needed to rebuild the DPF case and labor ($1,800) except for two $60 charges for DTF Diagnostic Tool Fees, both for a 2954 CDTF.

Now that I have a freshly cleaned DPF does anyone know about how many miles till I should expect the first regeneration?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

After a full week we got the Volvo back from the service dept. of the Las Vegas Volvo truck dealer. The Bill was $3,127.29. Sending the DPF out for cleaning was $598.00. Much of the rest of the bill was for the parts needed to rebuild the DPF case and labor ($1,800) except for two $60 charges for DTF Diagnostic Tool Fees, both for a 2954 CDTF.

Now that I have a freshly cleaned DPF does anyone know about how many miles till I should expect the first regeneration?

Ouch X2

Jem, regarding Grandkids value......my grandson is a nice lad and he works hard at school and after school and then we "help out a little" ......about as much last year as your "DEF - Adventure" cost........I would hope I am getting more value for my money....

It would seem that when they released your tuck back that they would hopefully give you a report of what failed and how to mitigate future "DEF -Adventures"......

High costs and +week downtime are real bummers .....just imagine having to try to make a living (and truck payments) with this type of downtime......

Drive on............(Regen with care........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Wow, Makes me love our little M11 more and more!

You SHOULD love that M11/ISM.....it is a great engine and simple to rebuild. I love my big D16 but miss the simplicity of the ISM. However, there is nothing like 515hp and 1850 torque ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

HERE is an interesting article on regeneration. Everyone that has a DPF truck should read it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

After a full week we got the Volvo back from the service dept. of the Las Vegas Volvo truck dealer. The Bill was $3127.29.

Hmmm. About the same as a tranny in a dually.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This makes 2 of us!!

This makes 3 of us!

Wonder how many of "US" (M11) owners are on the forum??

Drive on...........(M11 is small .....but works well)

I wouldn't put money on it, but I'd guess it'll do an active somewhere in the 800-1200 mile range. I also don't know Volvo's specifically but that 2nd diagnostic after a cleaning often sets it to green DPF mode so it won't be "normal" for a good 5000 miles or so.

Archived