Well, did you get your Win 10?

Medico

Use USB creation to get a download to work. One PC converted. Should have done this in the first place as three of the PCs are 64 bit.

Application initiation seems noticeably quicker. So far all my applications work.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My update on one of my three computers is all done. I updated from Win 7. Windows update download of 2.66Gb took about 12 hours via my Verizon jetpack. Update took about 1:15 hr. First start up required some tweaking, primarily screen size. I have been using it for normal daily blogging, account checks, outlook email, etc... some slight difference, normally as responsive, no problems. I have not explored 'Edge'... but will do so as time permits.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Anybody upgrade any Windows 8.1 tablets with 32 bit windows and 2 GB Ram? I'm waiting until my new house is finished. I did get the cable folks to run cable with my Internet at 50 mbps and TV. We will drop the TV later and just watch over the air. Tickled that we have Internet in the meantime.

I sold my old backup desktop and sold our much loved but slow Lenovo Lynx 11.6" tablet. The Lynx was lighter than most 10.1" tablets, but lacked full HD, and only had micro USB 2. It had only a webcam, no back camera. But the IPS screen looked full HD, and it never gave a problem. Lynn inherited my Venue 11 Pro. I made enough to buy a new Surface 3. I will wait until we are settled in the new house and then pick up a Surface 3, not Pro. I much prefer the cool running and snappy Atom Quad core over the i3/5/7 dual core processors on the Surface Pro 3.

I will be using a Toshiba laptop for my Win 10 testing. I can image a Win 7 unit and restore it. I haven't had luck with restoring 8 or 8.1. image yet but hadn't tried after two fails. I'll do that laptop as soon as the Samsung Evo 3d 256GB SSD comes in for it. I've been too busy to run across town to trade for 8GB of RAM for it. A friend still has his storefront computer store and like my stash, has more RAM and used parts than he needs.

I've got a house to move into and it is hot! 102° actual and 111 heat index. Posting and long hours with computers just got cut for a couple of months.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you have limited bandwidth, I found this. I didn't like the automatic updates.

Delivery Optimization is turned on by default in Windows 10.

Show all
How is my PC used to send apps and updates to other PCs?

Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Delivery Optimization can’t be used to download or send personal content.

What security measures are used in Delivery Optimization?

Delivery Optimization uses the same security measures as Windows Update and the Windows Store.

Windows Update uses information obtained securely from Microsoft to validate the authenticity of files downloaded to your PC. Delivery Optimization also checks the authenticity of each part of an update or app that it downloads from other PCs before installing it.

Can Delivery Optimization access my personal files?

Delivery Optimization doesn’t access your personal files or folders or change any files on your PC.

Will Delivery Optimization download over metered connections?

As with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 won't automatically download updates or apps if it detects that your PC is using a metered connection. Similarly, Delivery Optimization won’t automatically download or send parts of updates or apps to other PCs on the Internet if it detects that you're using a metered connection.

If you use a Wi‑Fi connection that is metered or capped, make sure you identify it as a metered connection. Here’s how:

1. Go to Start 851aefc6-d9e7-41b6-a160-2a5e45499b33_17., then Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options.
  2. Use the toggle under Set as metered connection to set your Wi‑Fi connection as metered.

I just love Microsofts little terms "Delivery Optimization".

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

So far my only complaint is with the new browser, Edge. When you center click on a link, it opens the link in a new Tab but it doesn't switch to the new Tab. This was an option in the old IE. In Chrome it is an add on.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

My big complaint with Edge is the lack of an 'Open All in Tabs' feature that is easy to do in Firefox and available in IE. Also have not found how to create a toolbar with the usual FILE EDIT VIEW Bookmarks Tools etc.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

WOW! That has to be the easiest upgrade of operating system I have ever done. Went from Win 8.1 64 bit pro to Win 10 64 bit pro.

Can't tell you how long the download took as it was all done in the background. However, the actual install took a little over an hour and ALL (so far) of my installed programs area still there! All previous upgrades (XP to 7, 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1) required me to re-install all my programs and that took hours and hours.

I will use it for a few days and see if I have any issues but so far no big deal

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

All you talking about the upgrade so I looked and found at least four (at last count) "Failed" Important updates for Windows 10. I still have the windows sign at the bottom left of the screen and when I click on it all I get is the advertising that I will be notified when Windows 10 is ready for me.

I use my data plan hotspot so when I leave the computer is turned off and no internet source is present. I have left the phone connected with the hot spot active the last couple nights but nothing seems to happen overnight. I do notice being notified of the computer requesting the hotspot when i awaken it in the morning. I am wondering how if I need to change something to keep the internet connection active all night next week when I get back?????

Won't mess with it this weekend except maybe Sunday late afternoon. Haven't found the place to get an immediate download.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod, check Windows Update log and see if there was an error on Win 10 install. I was having that happen because the background downloads were getting aborted because of the poor connections I have.

I went with the option of using an USB stick and the download went to the stick. I think that download is treated more seriously thaan the background downloads.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Anybody upgrade any Windows 8.1 tablets with 32 bit windows and 2 GB Ram? I'm waiting until my new house is finished. I did get the cable folks to run cable with my Internet at 50 mbps and TV. We will drop the TV later and just watch over the air. Tickled that we have Internet in the meantime.

I sold my old backup desktop and sold our much loved but slow Lenovo Lynx 11.6" tablet. The Lynx was lighter than most 10.1" tablets, but lacked full HD, and only had micro USB 2. It had only a webcam, no back camera. But the IPS screen looked full HD, and it never gave a problem. Lynn inherited my Venue 11 Pro. I made enough to buy a new Surface 3. I will wait until we are settled in the new house and then pick up a Surface 3, not Pro. I much prefer the cool running and snappy Atom Quad core over the i3/5/7 dual core processors on the Surface Pro 3.

I will be using a Toshiba laptop for my Win 10 testing. I can image a Win 7 unit and restore it. I haven't had luck with restoring 8 or 8.1. image yet but hadn't tried after two fails. I'll do that laptop as soon as the Samsung Evo 3d 256GB SSD comes in for it. I've been too busy to run across town to trade for 8GB of RAM for it. A friend still has his storefront computer store and like my stash, has more RAM and used parts than he needs.

I've got a house to move into and it is hot! 102° actual and 111 heat index. Posting and long hours with computers just got cut for a couple of months.

My buddy updated a rather under resourced PC and it works fine. He stated it had fewer resources than you mentioned. I thought about waiting until our home is finished some time in Oct., but decided to go the Flash Drive route. Just used the MS Tool and the ISO downloaded directly to the Flash and made it bootable. Did not even need Rufus for this operation.

Of course with our new UEFI with GPT convertibles I needed to go into the BIOS to disable Secure Boot in Security and Fast Boot in Boot screen, and change the boot order to the USB Drive. I also do this when I Image my drives because I like to create Images outside of Windows using Acronis 2015. I know it can be done from within Windows, but I guess I am not comfortable doing that. I just boot to my Acronis Recovery Flash and store the Images on my Ext. HDD.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

After downloading the W/10 on the USB stick; I tried to download the Pro version on my old W/7 Ultimate computer. It wanted the 25 digit Key. I will have to go online and find where its located. So; I did the download from the windows update on my Win/8.1 Acer Aspire E 15. It took just over 3 hrs to get it downloaded and installed. It even kept my Classic shell start feature. I pinned IE-11 to the task bar. Even my Outlook email works. Most other programs seem to work ok! :D:D

I'll keep updating as I use more of the features. :lol::lol:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

After downloading the W/10 on the USB stick; I tried to download the Pro version on my old W/7 Ultimate computer. It wanted the 25 digit Key. I will have to go online and find where its located. So; I did the download from the windows update on my Win/8.1 Acer Aspire E 15. It took just over 3 hrs to get it downloaded and installed. It even kept my Classic shell start feature. I pinned IE-11 to the task bar. Even my Outlook email works. Most other programs seem to work ok! :D:D

I'll keep updating as I use more of the features. :lol::lol:

Ed: Run Belarc Advisor - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and towards the bottom will be a Software section that shows you your Windows system Product Key (Write it down). If got this information from http://bitsnbytespicsnews.blogspot.ca/2015/07/skip-wait-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now.html.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

This just reported by BGR.com. It should be no surprise to anyone but you should be aware...

"Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

It’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you.That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document, right?

Well, Microsoft’s service agreement is 1200 words. Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.

Actually, here’s one excerpt from Microsoft’s terms of use that everyone can understand:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

If that sentence sent shudders down your spine, don’t worry. As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution.

Rock Paper Shotgun has broken things down into four main bullet points that will guide you through regaining control of your personal data.

First, you’ll want to open Settings and click on Privacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying. The blog notes that most of the important settings can be found on the General tab, though other tabs are important as well. For example, you’ll definitely want to adjust what types of data each app on your system can access.

Next, users should consider dumping Cortana. Yes, the voice-driven assistant is easily one of the best new features in Windows 10, but it also plays fast and loose with your data. As a result, many users will find that the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

For the third task, you’ll have to venture outside the confines of your PC and hit the web. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to check out Microsoft’s nifty new Edge browser. In it, click on this link and set both “Personalised ads in this browser” and “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” to off. This will disable Microsoft’s Google-style ad tracking features.

The last tip is one that most users will likely forgo, as it is a bit excessive. Rock Paper Shotgun recommends removing your Microsoft account from Windows 10 completely and using a newly made local account instead. This way, Microsoft doesn’t grab hold of all your data to sync it across machines.

Zach Epstein"

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

We are staying as monthly renters in Evergreen COHO in Chimacum, Wa. There is no connectivity here for non-lease holders that I can find so I am tethered (via Bluetooth) through my Sprint Note 4 cell phone.

The update process does not resume. It restarts and this connection is so erratic (10kbps - 250kbps) and the BT keeps dropping out so the 3.8gb download never completes. We drove over to Sequim a couple of days ago and while there, I pulled down the ISO from MS onto my Note 4 while we ate dinner and went to WalMart.

Once back home, I transferred the ISO to the PC, burned it to a DVD (rt click the ISO and select Burn. Ez-Pz), then resized a partition on 1 drive with Easeus Partition manager to give me about 200gb of space and installed it into that place to play with it.

The install from DVD was easy but rebooted 3 times before it was all settled into its home. Very minimal user input required.

I had tried to install the preview a few times but it would not update my 8.1 media center system. I also have been quite happy with 8.1 and if 10 was going to be too "linux-like" for me, I did not want to have to restore my whole old 8.1 friend from an image.

I knew it would take me some days/weeks to really decide if 10 was going to be comfortable for me. After less than a day, i think it will but I will likely not be using EDGE until it gets some teeth in its head. Yes, it seems faster than IE but so is Chrome and Chrome keeps all my bookmarks, passwords, cookies and extensions up to the same level on all my devices so my browing experience is always the same regardless of whether it is on my phone, tablet, PC or some other system.

EDGE may only be faster right now because it is so functionally limited.

Chrome did go into 10 just fine and now, I have most of my old familiar precious back again.

The whole WINDOWS ACTIVATION thing for a DVD install is still murky, though.

So far, I am not yet ready to do an upgrade to my 8.1 MC platform but it is looking better. A few things I can't test until I can Activate it, like HTTPs browsing in EDGE, display personalization (multi monitor mode also seems to be off) and a few other little things I use.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I went into Edge but could not find the Personalised Adds for this browser nor the Microsoft Account to off Ads. The DW already has a local account and not a Microsoft/Windows account. Can some one Please tell me where these are when I open Edge?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Ed: Run Belarc Advisor - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and towards the bottom will be a Software section that shows you your Windows system Product Key (Write it down). If got this information from http://bitsnbytespicsnews.blogspot.ca/2015/07/skip-wait-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now.html.

Thanks Bill; i will have to try this in the AM.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Thanks Medico but I tried that when I had trouble with my desktop last year. I did that after having issues with the UEFI and secure boot and legacy device switches causing a problem. I like Macrium free and used it all through the Windows 8 previews. But you are right in that if the image is made with legacy support and secure boot off, as well as UEFI setting for outide reimaging, we are operating without some security features.

Have you restored an image made that way yet on a Windows 8.1 machine yet? Making images does not mean they will restore. With the Windows 7 tool or Macrium Reflect free I've restored a variety of images multiple times. Haven't cracked the code for restoring them with Win 8/8.1 yet.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I went into Edge but could not find the Personalised Adds for this browser nor the Microsoft Account to off Ads. The DW already has a local account and not a Microsoft/Windows account. Can some one Please tell me where these are when I open Edge?

Dennis

Not sure what you are referring to?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark

Go back to chuckbear post #39 and read the area concerning the 3rd thing/area to do. It talks about turning the personalized adds tracking off? It says click on this link but I am not sure what link he is talking about or how to find it.

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Mark

Go back to chuckbear post #39 and read the area concerning the 3rd thing/area to do. It talks about turning the personalized adds tracking off? It says click on this link but I am not sure what link he is talking about or how to find it.

Thanks

Dennis

Good catch Dennis. Here is the link, https://choice.microsoft.com/en-gb/opt-out

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Thanks Medico but I tried that when I had trouble with my desktop last year. I did that after having issues with the UEFI and secure boot and legacy device switches causing a problem. I like Macrium free and used it all through the Windows 8 previews. But you are right in that if the image is made with legacy support and secure boot off, as well as UEFI setting for outide reimaging, we are operating without some security features.

Have you restored an image made that way yet on a Windows 8.1 machine yet? Making images does not mean they will restore. With the Windows 7 tool or Macrium Reflect free I've restored a variety of images multiple times. Haven't cracked the code for restoring them with Win 8/8.1 yet.

Yes I have restored an image using Acronis boot disk (Flash) to do so. I do not verify each Image as I used to do because of time constraints.

Once my Image is made I revert the settings to the default. I only change them to allow access to my Flash on boot. I read an article that said to disable both then set the boot order to the Flash drive. Again I go back into the BIOS and set them back once I'm done.

UEFI generally does not allow changing, and leaving changed, the boot order as BIOS did without a little more effort. Plus it is important to change the settings back because of the security points RV made.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I have read many articles about Windows 10 recently. One reoccurring theme that I believe is incorrect is to use a utility to display your Windows 10 key so you can later do a clean install. As I understand, Windows 7 and 8 / 8.1 users must do an UPGRADE to Windows 10 the first time (NOT a clean install).

You must also make sure you have Internet access during the upgrade. Microsoft will check to see that you have a valid copy of Win 7 / 8.x installed and then send a hardware hash to the activation servers. A generic key is then used for Win 10:

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Once you have successfully done the upgrade, you can then do a clean install at a later date and just click "skip" when prompted for a key. The key is never actually used because the activation server will check to see that the hardware id matches the hash in the database. As long as the hash matches, the server will activate your new install.
Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Archived