Well, did you get your Win 10?

Medico

If you haven't gotten the update notification, you can download Windows 10. Use your browser to search for a Win 10 question and the Microsoft link has a spot to download. I downloaded it for my Surface but have not downloaded it for my desktop as of yet.

tjones1935

If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed: Run Belarc Advisor - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and towards the bottom will be a Software section that shows you your Windows system Product Key (Write it down). If got this information from http://bitsnbytespicsnews.blogspot.ca/2015/07/skip-wait-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now.html.

Downloaded the program; found the Key and entered it on the old Vista Acer Aspire 5315 and it seems to work quite well. This has the 10 Pro Version. Don't know what the difference is yet!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

While at Mother's house this weekend I used her internet connection to download to a Flash Drive. Hopefully it installs without issue.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Downloaded and installed Win10 last night. Seems to be working fine this morning. I did go into settings and made some changes on the preferences I like, but no biggie. The format seems to be a cross of Win 8 and some of the older versions. I upgraded from 8.1 that had all the latest upgrades and changes to date.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I took advantage of the free wifi at my sons house and downloaded to a usb. Upgraded my computer with only a little hitch. I had to download a new app from nvidia to get screen resolution right for my video card. When I try to upgrade wifes computer (purchased new with 8.1 pre installed) it wants a product key. But says key from sticker is invalid. (tried numorous times with wife checking)

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

I took advantage of the free wifi at my sons house and downloaded to a usb. Upgraded my computer with only a little hitch. I had to download a new app from nvidia to get screen resolution right for my video card. When I try to upgrade wifes computer (purchased new with 8.1 pre installed) it wants a product key. But says key from sticker is invalid. (tried numorous times with wife checking)

Yep, me too for both of those things. I did two installs. The first was to a clean partition just to see if I would risk my production system. I have two monitors but it would not see but one and did not let me set it up like I like. Later, it miraculously suddenly fixed itself. I had heard that the installation package is fairly generic because it depends on an internet connection to "finish" the installation customizations in the background. That sure seems like what happened to me.

I upgraded my production win 8.1mc yesterday and it did the same thing but with connectivity speeds mostly below 400kbps, I was not going to wait around and downloaded the NVIDIA drivers for WIn10 (or so I thought). 280meg later I discover that my choice scrolled to download the win 7/8 package and I had to do it all over again.... over 400kbps and a lot less. Grrrrrr.....

Now it's fine except for a sudden reboot from time to time that does not happen on the clean install I did. I have not tried too hard to do much diagnostics on this yet. Still having too much fun. BTW, one of the things it looks a lot like is Linux Opensuse/Fedora KDE desktop.... just a little bit more than I expected. Not a bad thing. Just a surprise.

And now the student becomes the master.... to follow?

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Think I'll wait on Service Pack 1 on this one. Might be different if had a laptop just to play with, but everything I have I used for work. Need to see if my Adobe CS6 suite will work. At this stage, just can't trust Microsoft. Burnt way to many times by the wise guys in Seattle.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

You will likely wait a very long time as win 10 starts a new paradigm in maintenance. They are not planning to do major updates and roll-ups anymore. They will be self maintaining on a daily basis from now on.

I have been through a lot of these and the only way to be clear about just what you can actually expect is to install a clean version in a separate partition and play with it some. Try your questionable pgms and tools and get to where you feel you know it before updating your production system. It is easy to use a free program like EaseUS Partition Manager to resize a partition and add an empty one just big enough to do the install. Later, if you want, you can delete this new partition and expand your previous partition back to the same size it was before you shrunk it.

Very easy and reliable way to do a clean test. Or, just use/get an external drive and put it on there. Should install easily in a 100 gig partition.

I strongly recommend downloading the proper version for your hardware and existing system if you eventually plan to do the upgrade as it will mean just one download to do both. Even on the current download, there are updates to go on before it is usable but they happen automatically during or after the install. If you are current on win 8.1 you can download the ISO file then right click it and select BURN TO CD/DVD and it will go right onto a DVD and be bootable.

You can even use the other free tool, EASEUS TODO Backup, to create a backup or clone of your existing boot partition. I use this regularly to keep a bootable clone available in case something happens to my normal boot partition. During the boot process just pick this clone and you are up and running again.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Personally, I don't want to do any of this nonsense.

I just want my system updated reliably, and without fuss. If that is not possible then I'm not going to allow the update until it is.

I realize that "things happen" and I'm willing to correct minor glitches if something happens. But I'm NOT willing to stand on my head to get the update that MS wants me to have. If they cannot get a reasonable install on a stock 8.1 machine with nothing exceptional running on it - other than Office - then I don't want the upgrade. Of course, the only way to tell is to do it. And then you are potentially screwed. The 8.0 install totally hosed my main production machine - to the point even MS gave up on fixing it, telling me I had to do a fresh install from disc. A disc that they would not GIVE me but wanted me to BUY. (I originally did the online upgrade, and never got to the point to create a disc).

I'm going to let my T100 upgrade. If that works then I MAY let Danielle's 13" ultra touch upgrade, then if THAT works I'll let my new production machine upgrade. Maybe. My new machine is a touch and I really would like the new interface on it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

With a good Internet connection, the regular automatic upgrade should work just fine. I just didn't have a good connection.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

My original download was to Flash. My install was not quite as trouble free as my DW because I did not turn off AV ahead of time as is recommended. The DW's upgrade was smoooooth. I reinstalled WLM and AVG afterward and also installed Start8 as a Start Menu (we like the way we can get menus for our favorite folders). She says she can barely tell the difference. Set IE as default due to lack of add-on support for Edge.

Speaking of Edge, I really like the looks and feel, if only it supported add-ons. I have remembered passwords at least 3 separate occasions but each time they seem to disappear during reboot. I have sent FB to MS about this. If Edge would maintain my PW's I would use it exclusively, but for now I generally use IE 11 for my internet activities. Edge will be a great browser once they fix a couple of things. I used the method shown here to disable ads in Edge. It works quite well since AdBlock Plus does not work in Edge. Be aware this is not for neophytes.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I have been trying to update from a dvd for 3 days. I kept getting errors. today I downloaded and installed from a usb thumb drive. No problems. If you are having problems try using usb.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Has anyone else had an issue with shutting down the computer only to have it start up again. I am sure I am hitting the shut down button but it seems to restart. Have resorted to unplugging it as soon as the screen goes dark

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Has anyone else had an issue with shutting down the computer only to have it start up again. I am sure I am hitting the shut down button but it seems to restart. Have resorted to unplugging it as soon as the screen goes dark

Rod

Yes, I had the same issue with one computer. I had to disable hybrid shutdown, wake on lan, wake on mouse, wake on keyboard, and anything else with "wake" in the power profile. It seems to be OK now.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Originally Edge was not saving my passwords through a reboot. This seems to be working now. Perhaps the FB I sent to MS was heeded. Gee, I must have a lot of power with MS, LOL.

For what it's worth, be sure you want to upgrade. Did so, didn't like it (wayyyy less control for me and more for Microsoft), and used the "return to windows 8.1" option. It's taken nearly two days to sort out the mess the return caused, and still not completely right. Thank goodness things were backed up to flash drive. One of the biggest problems was with having to re update (all 136 of them ) only to them all fail, but it seems that downloading/installing them in groups of twenty or thirty seems to work okay. Thought I would pass this along in case it may help....

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

No.

Waiting for six months to let others be the Beta testers.

Me too. After the first Service Pack I MIGHT try it.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

First and foremost, MAKE A COMPLETE SYSTEM IMAGE just prior to the update. I could get my PC back to the exact moment before I started updating to Win 10 in less than half an hour by reloading the Image of Win 8.1 I made. There are many free and paid apps to accomplish this Image. I used the paid Acronis True Image. Others use the free Macrium Reflect or the paid version. Still others use the latest version of Ghost. In any case read about Imaging, then do it!

Second, there is unlikely to be a service pack for Win 10. MS is now pushing updates on a daily basis which should alleviate the need for a major service pack. Most experts agree that this is most likely the scenario with Win 10.

I also have partitioned my HD to allow me to put ALL my data onto a different partition from the OS. In this way if something toasts the OS, my data is not affected. I just reload the Image I made of the OS and choose to Restore just the OS partition. Again, the data is untouched.

I have already Imaged my Win 10. I now have a final Image of Win 7, Win 8.1 and an initial Image of Win 10, all stored on an Ext. HD, which is stored in my shed, not in the coach. In this way if my coach burns up, I can get my new PC set up with my Images very quickly.

I did a successful install of Win 10 on my 8.1 laptop. We're on campground WiFi so downloaded the install to a thumb drive. The whole thing took about three and a half hours.

I've played with it a few days, tweaking things, trying to make it look and feel like I want.

Tonight I reinstalled the Classic Shell program which reverts the start menu to a XP style menu - I like it a lot better. If you are interested, it's at classicshell.net.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I had a problem with Classic Sheill on my DW's PC so instead installed Start8 (small fee to use). I have been using Start8 whereas the DW was using Classic Shell. For those using a replacement Start Menu, you can set an option so a simple click of the Windows Key will open the Win 10 Start Menu.

Archived