Well, did you get your Win 10?

Medico

Did you choose to upgrade to Win 10? I did on my PC. I chose to download the ISO file to a Flash Drive rather than use WU because I have 2 PCs to upgrade. I did not wish to wait through 2 downloads from WU.

Well, I am downloading the Win 10 ISO file from Softpedia directly to a flash using the Windows Tool to load a bootable copy of Win 10 on the flash drive. Instead of using my MiFi device, I am using my WiFi Ranger Mobile connected to the park WiFi. It's a slower connection, but does not count against my 20 GB data on my Jetpack. I'm at 90 % after about 1 1/2 hours. I have been surfing and doing other PC activities during the download, so did not even notice how fast/slow it was going. I suspect the download server is not being burdened too much yet as this was always a problem in the past.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the first rollouts are going to the Beta testers first so I don't expect regular downloads for a day or two.

I think I will have to use the ISO approach for the PCs I support at a remote facility. They are on a Domain and the auto Windows 10 upgrade is not supported (at this moment) for them.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I reserved Windows 10 on two computers. The first downloaded the update files starting around 11:30 AM yesterday (Tuesday). The second got it's files around 1:00 AM this morning (Wednesday). Neither has prompted me to install the upgrade yet. One was 32 bit and the other 64 bit. Both of the downloads were a little over 5 Gigabytes, the 64 bit version being slightly larger. This sounds about right as the 10240 iso I got a week ago was about 3.8 GB and then downloaded an additional 1.2 GB of updates.

This morning I grabbed the media creation tool, but it is not working. I assume the Microsoft servers are at capacity now and I will try again later.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I'm going to wait and see, too. I'm not having any problems with the 8.1 on my Surface 3, so don't have any pressing need to change. Plus, if the download is 5 GB, I really don't have the reserve data to do that...I'm on track right now to use just shy of 11 GB of my 15 GB for the current billing period. Unless I took my computer someplace where there was WiFi, I don't see me changing to 10 unless I can get it on a CD (I have an external disk drive).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Mine was a upgrade to window 10 . It has a little box just like any other update. I had only reserved it for Linda's Win 8.1 Pro Machine. I am still getting the reserve your copy on my Win 7 Pro Machine

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I did the reservation weeks ago, the question was to Roger K4RS who said he had downloads already occur.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark

I am doing the upgrade as we speak. I am doing Linda's 8.1 pro machine first. Although it looks like it us upgrading the 8.1 pro machine to Win 10 Home and not pro. Not sure on the Win 7 machines yet

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Again, what is the indicators that the downloads are in progress?

What is the indicator that the upgrade is ready to go?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Today I did one of my laptops as a test, I upgraded my one with Win 8.1 since I hated it anyhow. I just clicked on the Win10 icon in the tray and told it to upgrade now and it went through downloading/installing/updating. Looks like everything is still working and no issues. It refused to install my HP 6600 printer driver, something about no digital cert, so I manually downloaded & installed that driver. I noticed immediately that MS had decided to make all title bars in Win 10 default to white, which I didn't like. I found a work around online that let me select a custom accent color to fix that. still exploring whats different

Jim

Again, what is the indicators that the downloads are in progress?

What is the indicator that the upgrade is ready to go?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-how-check-if-windows-10-pre-loaded-your-machine

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Rick Doyle tells you how to upgrade by using a DVD or USB stick - http://bitsnbytespicsnews.blogspot.ca/2015/07/skip-wait-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now.html.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Why Yes I did. Everything went well on upgrading Linda's 8.1 machine. The only problem I had was the same as Jim2 with my hp All in One 7520E printer. I have not addressed that issue yet. I think I/we are going to like this.

Mark

I don't know what to tell ya. I am on a high speed cable setup. I turned on Linda's PC, I had reserved it before. When I sat down after making coffee and having some toast it was there. I hit the details as the little block was not highlighted under updates which said you had to do the upgrade from the desktop. I said ok and off it went. Again that was how it was?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I am on a very slow connection. I have one system with the $Windows.~BT folder at 3.06 GB (static), one at 4.5GB (static), and one at 4 GB (up-counting).

How big did your $Windows.~BT folders get?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I did a download to a USB so I can update each of my machines without repeat downloads. Then loaded the USB into an Acer netbook that was running Win7.1

The download took about an hour on my home DSL line. It then took about 45 minutes for the system to build and transfer the files to the USB.

The install was easy - plug it into the netbook - it took about 2 hours with just a couple of prompts.

I chose to manually set some of the options to turn off most auto links and location notifications.

Win 10 started and basically showed my old desktop. All the existing software seems to run. eg Firefox, Foxit RDR, MS Streets 2005, Word 2010, Still need to try some items line CCCLEANER, Malwarebytes and Spyware blaster.

What I don't like so far -

I have not found how to turn off all the feeds to EDGE and it did not let me change my homepage to the one I want - maybe part of the learning curve. Got to search the help files to find out how.

on edit - overcame the Edge Feeds issue - and solved the home page too. They were related - by default Edge selects MSN and all its feed. By changing the home page to the one I want, I avoid going to MSN and the feed problem went away.

Now my WIn 10 looks much like my Win7. except the touchpad is always 'hot' - linger the mouse pointer on an item and it will launch - even though I have 'click' turned off.

Still playing.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

For those that did get the Win 10 download, what was the visual indicator that the Upgrade was ready to go?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Had a screen pop up right after the 'I Accept' screen asking if I wanted to continue... or Schedule for later. Then it gave me a choice of hours to reschedule to (5AM, 6am, 7am, etc), I selected 7:00 AM MST, and will let it continue then. It is currently 5:50 AM.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Well I determined my problem is corrupted/interrupted downloads. Burned 13 GB of bandwidth. Retry.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Wow, things have been busy... :D

The first sign of download starting was the appearance of a hidden folder in the root of drive C: named "$WINDOWS.~BT". I could also see the activity by monitoring bandwidth in my router ( I love the monitoring features of the Tomato firmware).

On my Windows 8.1 Home 64 bit computer , the folder contained 16,414 files totaling 5.25 Gigabytes.

I was notified that the upgrade was ready to install by a pop-up from the GWX app icon in the system tray (the Windows logo in the bottom right part of the desktop).

Somewhere along the line, as second hidden directory ($Windows.~WS) appeared, containing another 47 Megabytes of files.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I am using an open wifi at Chick-Fil-A, Have been downloading Win 10 to a USB stick. It is creating the media files now and the flash drive is blinking. it went through and verified the download; so lets see if it will do its thing after it finishes. Its at 70% right now; just hope the Wifi doesn't interrupt as it has happened a few times before! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived