Driver wanted to move hdt w/fiver across country

marvmarcy

I never thought I'd be asking for this help, but circumstances have overtaken me. We rushed from Polson, MT to Elizabeth City, NC last Sep because Connie's sister was diagnosed with cancer. Sister died on Oct 3. While still in E City helping settle the estate, I was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 cancer on Dec 7. I've been undergoing treatments that have left me skin and bones without strength to drive the Volvo. We expect to relocate back to MT in late April. Hopefully, I'll be around to make the trip, but if not, Connie will be desparate for help. Your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

Sorry to hear of your health issues and hope everything gets better.

A couple of thoughts:

What type of transmission do you have in the truck as some us might be able to handle one type verses another better? (For example, I can handle a 2 pedal auto really good, 3 pedal auto ok and haven't driven any manuals but can try learn if needed)

We know of a truck driver that is semi retired that has been doing some work on the side, mainly delivering new trucks, for extra money. We would have to check to see if he would like to try to help out, but he might be able to if he can find a way there and home, He lives in Wisconsin near the MN border by Minneapolis.

We will be down at the rally in Crossville TN in April. We might be able to help some at that time to get you part of the way home at least up to MN. unfortunately work schedules might not allow us to do the whole trip. I would need to make sure the wife is comfortable driving our rig home, she usually just goes from rest area to rest area without any backing up or tight turns,

Hopefully some other more retired and flexible people can come up with some solutions.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Marv, not much to say here, other that we deal with what life hands us. Both Davena and I have read this post. No matter, I'm sure folks on this forum will help you guys in any way needed. If I remember right your truck is 10 speed manual. I did ferry truck and trailer with 10 speed few years back across country, so "I have experience". We are in Port St. Lucie permanently now and "retired", not that far south from North Carolina. Connie can count on us if things get complicated.

Henry

We live in Virginia Beach, VA. April would be out for us, the ECR followed by the Richmond NASCAR races. My Volvo is a 3 pedal auto-shift but I drove a 10 speed manual Freightliner before. DW would not drive it but wanted to drive the HDT so switched to the Volvo. If you can't find any other solution, we might be able to help out in early May.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Marv, not much to say here, other that we deal with what life hands us. Both Davena and I have read this post. No matter, I'm sure folks on this forum will help you guys in any way needed. If I remember right your truck is 10 speed manual. I did ferry truck and trailer with 10 speed few years back across country, so "I have experience". We are in Port St. Lucie permanently now and "retired", not that far south from North Carolina. Connie can count on us if things get complicated.

Henry

Henry, if you get them part way and I could meet you and take them the rest of the way in. I've got the vacation time. Will you teach me to drive a 10 speed?? I'm a lazy HDT owner- no clutch pedal.

Marv, can someone drive my smart?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hi. Alie here- since we are on the road and Jim is driving I am extending an offer. We are going to the rally for HDTs in Crossville and have a week between that and the RV Dreams rally the end of April- both are in Tennessee - if you were able to cover the cost of a flight from Tennessee to Elizabeth City and then from your home area back to Tennessee and fuel for the trip; Jim is willing to drive it home for you. As a retired hospice nurse and with Jim being a former hospice volunteer we both understand your plight. If this is a workable option we are also sending private PM with phone number. Blessings to both of you.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Count us in to help with anything we can offer, too. We're in Apache Junction, AZ, and will be heading North in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Connie here, posting for Marv.

We are overwhelmed by this groups' kindness and generousity. We will cover any expenses that would be incurred (airline, fuel, lodging, etc) and will flexible on timing...whatever works best for you. The transmission is a Super10 (semi-automatic). The only awkward shift is between 6 and 7, the hi-low change point. Connie is available to drive a car.

We are also inquiring with commercial shippers since this is so much to ask of you all.

Again, you all are an amazing caring bunch. Thank you.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

USAF Retired

Connie here, posting for Marv.

We are overwhelmed by this groups' kindness and generousity. We will cover any expenses that would be incurred (airline, fuel, lodging, etc) and will flexible on timing...whatever works best for you. The transmission is a Super10 (semi-automatic). The only awkward shift is between 6 and 7, the hi-low change point. Connie is available to drive a car.

We are also inquiring with commercial shippers since this is so much to ask of you all.

Again, you all are an amazing caring bunch. Thank you.

Connie, this is not too much to ask of this group, we will gladly help, just let us know.

Ditto

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Connie here -

Marv and I are discussing the idea of selling the truck here and having the 5er moved to Montana. Any thoughts on what we would get for it?

2001 VNL42T420 Factory Built Single Cummins ISX 834,XXX miles

The basics of the truck are in the signature block. Here is some additional info:

The truck is in quite good condition. Good rubber. Blackstone oil samples have always come back outstanding. Service records since new. Installed factory rebuilt tranny in 2008. Dyno'ed in 2008 at 770K miles and met Cummins new engine specs. Interior redone. 3 windows installed in sleeper area. Power windows, power locks. New ET hitch installed in Dec 2011. Jackalopee, never installed. MaxBrake controller (installed about 2010). Front of hood, bumper and fairings coated with LineX and painted with urethane. Paint in very good condition (some scatches on cab.) Silver blue color. Registered as motorhome in Montana.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

USAF Retired

We have spoken with Marv and Connie this morning. Being able to go to something smaller would help them in current situation.

Marv is asking $18,000 for the truck, someone could get a great deal here. Just consider that the truck is in great shape, Marv has been meticulous about his things. It has an ET which he installed new in 2011, a Jackalopee and a Maxbrake, those three things alone are worth $6,000, If I remember he might also have a GearMaster, but I didn't ask. Marv will post or email me some pictures.

If my schedule allows I might be able to help also. Unfortunately, though, have no experience with Super 10.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Gosh Marv, so sorry to hear. Susan and I would very much like to help you and Connie but we will be on the west coast.

As Henry said, it is not in any way too much to ask and I do wish we were able. If our circumstances change we will check to see if any help is still needed.

I can also say that the truck is a great Truck and Marv is a great caretaker. The truck would be a great deal.

Y'all will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I'm acquainted with this truck, and it is very nice. It did have a Gearmaster in it when I last saw it. It also has a custom interior. A nice truck for someone that does not need a large sleeper.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi. Alie here- since we are on the road and Jim is driving I am extending an offer. We are going to the rally for HDTs in Crossville and have a week between that and the RV Dreams rally the end of April- both are in Tennessee - if you were able to cover the cost of a flight from Tennessee to Elizabeth City and then from your home area back to Tennessee and fuel for the trip; Jim is willing to drive it home for you. As a retired hospice nurse and with Jim being a former hospice volunteer we both understand your plight. If this is a workable option we are also sending private PM with phone number. Blessings to both of you.

We can get you from TN to NC. We are going to the ECR. We live an hour away from Elizabeth City and will pass through on our way back from the ECR.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

That would work for us. We are flexible up to the last day of the rally, I (Jim) would jut need to find a place to park our rig for Alie to stay for the duration. Either at Deer Run, or at the RV Dreams site in Sieverville at River Plantation, wherever we could leave it. Looking at it, if this was a straight thru type of trip, where I could drive my hours (until my butt got tired) 3-4 days would probably do it. Or could make it longer or shorter depending if someone wanted to team drive or not.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

i should also be available to drive. Super 10 is easy.

i just need a plane ticket and my food covered and ill drive.

(of course you cover the diesel and any repairs that come up along the way)

more than happy to team with someone from the forum all or part way.

i can get my wife to cover here with my Alzheimer parent no problem.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

I can help. I'm used to a manual trans although not a super 10, but no big deal. I have the airline points to fly down and get the truck and 5'er. Just need local transportation and a day to look the rig over. Should have enough points to fly home from MT as well. I'm retired, so I'm reasonably flexible as to when to do this. If that would help, please PM me.

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived