Water Hose Gaskets That Last Longer Than 15 Minutes

edatlanta

I think the title says it all. I full time and I have never found a gasket that lasts any length of time in full time use. My main white water hose has been in use since August 2010 and it is still going strong, but I couldn't even count the number of gaskets I have put is it and others.

Any suggestions of a source? I know they are cheap, but drips drive me crazy.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I am not being critical but something isn't right or possibly you are doing something wrong but that seems unlikely. Most of the ones I have used lasted a significant time. I can't even tell you a brand or where I got them. I will say that in some cases I have used some that start out as more like an O'ring. I am sure you have gently felt inside the female fitting and the edge of the male end for burrs or the like. Have you tried a different hose to see if you have the same issue , in which case the issue may be you old hose. I have replace the hose ends occaisionly with a higher quality brass end and in some cases cheap plastic which actually worked better in some applications.

Are you over tightening them? I've found that hand tight is usually better than wrench tight with hoses.

That was my thought also. I have found that the ones at Walmart don't seem to last as long as the rubber type from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Strange because my hoses from 2010 still have the original gaskets with no problems but I sure dont like how stiff they get and almost impossible to roll up in the mornings

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I found that the cheaper hoses tend to leak at the fittings after a year or so. I spent a little more and got a better quality hose with much better fittings. This was at Wal-Mart and the cheaper hose was white in color and the better hose was blue. The blue one has stronger machined fittings. - No leaks. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I found that the cheaper hoses tend to leak at the fittings after a year or so. I spent a little more and got a better quality hose with much better fittings. This was at Wal-Mart and the cheaper hose was white in color and the better hose was blue. The blue one has stronger machined fittings. - No leaks. Dave.

Quality pays for itself . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I found that the cheaper hoses tend to leak at the fittings after a year or so. I spent a little more and got a better quality hose with much better fittings. .

I agree with that, but a new washer don't usually correct that leak either although it can cause us to over tighten the fitting and so damage the washer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Is that blue hose for pottable water ? Regular garden hoses laying in the sun can sure give the water a nasty taste :(

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I was having the exact same problem until I went to Home Depot and dug around in the hose department outside in Garden area. I found a package of real rubber gaskets like used to come with a hose. They are made of red rubber. Not the cheap black plastic ones that have 4 or 5 tits to locate them in the fitting. No more problems with leaks.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Is that blue hose for pottable water ? Regular garden hoses laying in the sun can sure give the water a nasty taste :(

Yes, it is made for drinking (potable) water. I would not try a regular garden hose because some say that they leave a taste to the water. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Are you over tightening them? I've found that hand tight is usually better than wrench tight with hoses.

I've found this to be true also. After over tightening they tend to leak. As a temporary fix I've used 2 washers stacked to stop the drip. It works for awhile. Dave

I have not had good luck coiling any of the white hoses in cold weather due to breakage/cracking. So far I have not cracked one of the blue hoses.

Later,

J

PS Agree the blue ones have better fitting attached and leak less often.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have not had good luck coiling any of the white hoses in cold weather due to breakage/cracking. So far I have not cracked one of the blue hoses.

Later,

J

PS Agree the blue ones have better fitting attached and leak less often.

I find that even the blue ones can be difficult to roll up when they are cold. Unfortunately I have not found any rubber NSF approved hoses at a price I am willing to pay.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I use large o rings made for hoses. No leaks

They solved my leaking connections too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Guess i've been lucky as I have a couple of the cheaper white hoses over five years old still working fine. I think I've replaced washers once a few years ago. In cold weather I don't pull them out straight, just loose coils, and add another hose if I need more length. We don't hook up but just fill the tank when we need.

Russ

Guess i've been lucky as I have a couple of the cheaper white hoses over five years old still working fine. I think I've replaced washers once a few years ago. In cold weather I don't pull them out straight, just loose coils, and add another hose if I need more length. We don't hook up but just fill the tank when we need.

Russ

That is really good advice. I think I will get another hose to double up the length before we head out in March. March is that time of year when no one can actually get it right.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived