Hankook tires

Art and Bev

I know a couple of folks with them on their diesel pushers and no problems.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I currently have just over 16,000 miles on mine and could't be happier.

My friend has just under 10,000 miles on his with the same experience as I do.

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

I ran Hankooks for many years on my work truck.....never had a complaint.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I have heard good things about both Hankook and Toyo tires for replacements over the known big guys. I have Toyo on the steers without problems.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I had Hankook on the SUV that we bought and I would rate them as "OK" but no better. On an RV I figure that the risk of a blowout is great enough that I do not choose based upon price but rather on the best rated tire that I can find.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've read many posts about running "cheaper" truck tires instead of "RV" tires. I've also read many posts stating the sustained coach damage from a blowout, which in most cases is in the thousands of dollars. To my knowledge, the tire differences are in construction and compounding for the intended purpose. Truck tires are not designed for extended idle time just sitting, supporting weight; MH tires are. I know several people running MH tires between 5-10 years old, none of them are running "truck" tires. Sure Michelin and Goodyear RV tires cost over $400 each, but you really do get what you pay for. My Goodyear G670's are dated 08, sidewalls look new, tread worn as expected after 24,xxx miles, but I'll replace them with new Goodyears next spring anyway, to avoid a dreaded blowout and resulting damage (not to mention risk of life).

The above is only my opinion, which, accompanyed with $5, will buy you a Starbucks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I completely agree with both Kirk and RayIN, never buy tires looking at price only. I used experience, not mine, my friends experience. My friend owns 4 tire and wheel shops here in Savannah. He has been in the tire business over 40 years. He also has Hankook tires on his MH. At the end of the day, one needs to have trust and faith in the tires on any vehicle you put your family in.

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

One of my RV friends had his Goodyear steer blow doing $20K damage while another had his Michelin steer tire blow right up through the floor beside his wife's seat. Two of other examples of these brands I have read about on RV forums.

Any tire can do that if neglected, abused, not properly maintained, or just old. The name on the tire alone really doesn't tell us anything, as both of those companies caution owners about age and maintenance issues. Can you name one brand that never blows out?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Kirk. Not all people change their tires due to age. I think 6-7 yrs. on any brand tire would be it's life expectancy. After that the risk of a blow out increases dramatically. Don't just look at the tread depth but also check the date codes. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Good information. One of the nice things that can happen is that at some RV rallies if they have a name tire vender there they will check your tires for you at no charge. It might be something that could be added along with the weighing program. Safety is something we can never get too much of in our travels.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I've read many posts about running "cheaper" truck tires instead of "RV" tires. I've also read many posts stating the sustained coach damage from a blowout, which in most cases is in the thousands of dollars. To my knowledge, the tire differences are in construction and compounding for the intended purpose. Truck tires are not designed for extended idle time just sitting, supporting weight; MH tires are. I know several people running MH tires between 5-10 years old, none of them are running "truck" tires. Sure Michelin and Goodyear RV tires cost over $400 each, but you really do get what you pay for. My Goodyear G670's are dated 08, sidewalls look new, tread worn as expected after 24,xxx miles, but I'll replace them with new Goodyears next spring anyway, to avoid a dreaded blowout and resulting damage (not to mention risk of life).

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the XZA3 or any of the other Michelin "RV" tires are made especially for RV's. They are truck tires plain and simple. Michelin rates several truck tires lines, including the XZA3 and XZE2 which I own, for RVs because they have certain design properties which make them more suitable for RV use. These include extra cross sipes for better traction and, in some models. a stronger sidewall to withstand curb bumps. Even on the Michelin RV website there is nothing that even mentions the issue of standing for long periods of time in one position. http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv_en_us/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZA3%2B%20EVERTREAD

This is not surprising since the RV tire market is vanishingly small compared with the market for truck tires in the US. Michelin has been able to create the same "cult" reputation for its RV tires that it has built in the automotive world. Sure, Michelin tires are good and I have them on my RV. However, by no means are they always the best tire for a particular application. On my cars and SUVs I haven't bought Michelin's in years. I select my tires by utilizing performance data available through TireRack and numerous automotive websites. Rarely have I found that Michelin tires have provided the best balance of wet/dry road performance and price.

In fact it is by researching the topic that I first "discovered" Hankook tires and have had them on several vehicles. Like any other tire manufacturer, Hankook makes a large number of models and Kirk's back-handed slap at them, without any reference to what model he owned or their perceived shortcomings, is IMO totally unjustified. The ones I selected for my personal vehicles were Hankook Optimo H727's and they were far more than just "OK".

I purchased my current Michelin's when we had just started full-timing and they perform well from a comfort, traction and fuel economy perspective. However, in a few years when we start looking for replacements I will definitely consider Hankook's ( and possibly some others) because of the substantial cost savings that can be realized. I'm not going to gamble with my safety, but neither do I want to overpay for a "premium" product that isn't necessarily any better than its competitors.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

docj, your statement about Michelin tires means Goodyear is the only RV specific tire available. I just assumed Michelin made RV specific tires from reading multiple forums. Now I know why so many folks complain about Michelin tire sidewall cracks, they are not designed for such use. You helped make up my mind, Goodyear G670 is my choice for MH tires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hankook are OEM for Freightliner trucks. They are NOT a second tier tire. They recently built an R&D facility in Akron (the home of Good Year). It is ironic that so called G670RV tire that GY makes is one of the most problematic RV tires ever made. GY is aware of the problems but refuses to issue a recall. I have used both Hankook and Michelin and fell comfortable with either. Our Dynasty came factory equipped with the G670's and they are JUNK!!

Moisheh

• 2 weeks later...

I have Toyos on the rear of my MH and several truckers have commented on them by saying that Ive got one of the best choices. I rate the Hankooks the same.....they are NOT second rate tires. Michelin is overpriced and over rated. And they came off my MH when I noticed bad sidewall checkering ( they had timed out as well)

I would lke to add that after my experience with ST garbage tires that are specifically made for trailers and how poorly made they are, a tire specifically made for a motorhome is definately not going onto my motorhome. I will stick with proven truck tires..thank you very much.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 1 month later...

The MECHANICS OF PNEUMATIC TIRES explains why OTR truck tires are different than MH tires. That's if anyone wishes to take the time to read the complete articles.

Advisory, this pdf is 88 pages just for the first chapter.

I have installed Sailun S637 225/70R19.5 tires on my motorhome. Yes they are made in China!! So far none have exploded!

The ride is great and better than with the previous tires I had on it that were made in the USA.

The tire market is a big market out there and world wide, it takes a lot of keeping up to know what is out there.

I will save some money on tires if I think they will perform the tire duty that I require of them.

John

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

We have Toyo tires all around . They were the highest rated tire when we were buying . We bought 14 ply instead of the recommended 12 ply , maybe adding a touch more safety .

Anyway , Hankook tires were right up there close to Toyo in the ratings and we did seriously consider them . During my research , I talked to the shop we eventually bought our Toyos from regarding different brands . The first brand they suggested was Hankook . They said they had mounted a lot of them on motor homes and had not had any trouble with them .

Goes around , comes around .

Guest ticat900

I agree with Kirk. Not all people change their tires due to age. I think 6-7 yrs. on any brand tire would be it's life expectancy. After that the risk of a blow out increases dramatically. Don't just look at the tread depth but also check the date codes. Dave.

Have you a link ? that backs up your opinion that after 7 years "risk of blowout increases Dramatically" I have been in RV business and owned large pushers for years and I have not seen any

in depth proof that that is true at all. No doubt it increases but how much is the question

To answer the OP I have read nothing but praise for the hankooks

also this quote: Truck tires are not designed for extended idle time just sitting, supporting weight; MH tires are.

again show me documented proof this is true because I don't think it is

also this quote: Truck tires are not designed for extended idle time just sitting, supporting weight; MH tires are.

again show me documented proof this is true because I don't think it is

You obivously missed the last sentence in my post. You might find this pdf interesting: MECHANICS OF PNEUMATIC TIRES, an explanation of tire construction and design.

Guest ticat900

You obivously missed the last sentence in my post. You might find this pdf interesting: MECHANICS OF PNEUMATIC TIRES, an explanation of tire construction and design.

there is no proof that truck tires can not sit idle and MH tires can ,I simply do not see anywhere that this is fact at all

the only thing I have read is the rubber compound in actual designated RV tires is supposed to make them ride softer

A friend of mine bought a new 2003 CC and came from the factory with so called truck 12R22.5 tires and has since installed the same thing(Michelin)

and they ride fine and are less money than the 29580R22.5

Archived