Joining Escapees, Roadside Assistance

RandV

I am in need of a RA program before we start on our four month, 7,000 mile trip in the US and Canada.  We will be travelling with a Ram 1500 and 27' TT.  I've read some previous threads on this subject, but would like to hear from anyone with recent experience and opinions.

I have not considered joining an RV club before, but in researching RA choices, Escapees came to my attention.

I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. Good Sam has a special on their basic plan for $75 for online signup (plus a $20 gift card at Camping world/Gander).  Their premium plan ($35 more) benefits don't appeal to me except for the availability of "tech support from a certified RV tech". That could come in handy.  Has anyone ever used this feature?

2.  Escapees is $139, $40 to join plus $99 for Roadside Assist plan through SafeRide Motor Club. Tech support feature is included.  This is the most expensive of the three, but Escapees website hints at discounts at 800 campsites, but isn't very specific.  Anyone have experience with their RA plan, and how does the CG discount work?

3. FMCA is $124, $50 to join ($10 off special just started) plus $74 for RA, also through SafeRide, looks like exact same benefits as Escapees.  There don't seem to be any other financial benefits.

Looking for input on savings with Escapees or FMCA, or good/bad on the RA plans.

Thanks!

Howdy!

Have you looked at Coach Net? I don’t beleive you have to be a member to join. We’ve have Good Sam ERS and dropped them for CN. They are more expensive but we have received great service from them so we eep renewing.

https://coach-net.com/

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

x3.  Although we did join Escapees as well their roadside service was not available back then. We joined before we even hit the road as we wanted to support the organization that does so much to support RVers.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have both CoachNet and Good Sam roadside assistance. I have been an Escapee member for 10 years and very much value my membership. I have only used Good Sam roadside assistance with good results and have been told that they use the same tow companies?

Couch Net has good reviews but is expensive. Escapees had about a dozen parks and about a dozen Co-Op parks for around $25 a night. Plus there are private parks that give a 10% discount and some as much as 50% off for Escapees members. There are other benefits as well such as a mail forwarding service for about $100 per year. FMCA also uses Safe Ride has campground discounts, tire and glass discounts, and a mail forwarding service. I ajoined Escapees and use their mail forwarding service. I also joined FMCA and got Safe Net thru them and have used the tire and glass programs. I have seen many negitive reviews about Good Sam RA. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

13 hours ago, RandV said:

I have not considered joining an RV club before, but in researching RA choices, Escapees came to my attention.

I have been a member of all 3 of those clubs but currently am only still a part of Escapees, for several reasons. Good Sam is not the club today that it once was but with the new owners it has become mostly a marketing group. FMCA is a good organization but we tired of being in the "poor cousin" section at events because of our gas coach so dropped out. Things could be different now so make your own choices on each of those since we became Escapee exclusive at least 10 years ago.

More to the point is my reason for belonging to Escapees RV Club. In my opinion, their magazine is by far the best, most useful RV magazine that is published. Second is the people who we meet along the road have become our best friends very quickly, even when we only rarely make contact. The club is all about caring and sharing and that isn't just a motto for the majority of members. Next is the CARE center at Rainbow's End. Then there are the 19 Escapee RV parks where we often stay for low rates and enjoy the social activities of club membership. The mail service is a good benefit also but now that we are back to part-time, not as important as it was when we were full-time but we do still use it when traveling. The annual Escapade or rally is another part of the group that we really enjoy, even though we didn't used to attend them often. (we have been to the last 6 in a row) 

The road service is a new benefit and one that we have not yet used but one which we are just about to change over to. We have had road service from both GS and also CN in the past with CN our prefered up to now. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, RandV said:

I am in need of a RA program before we start on our four month, 7,000 mile trip in the US and Canada.  We will be travelling with a Ram 1500 and 27' TT.  I've read some previous threads on this subject, but would like to hear from anyone with recent experience and opinions.

Another part of your research could involve your insurance company and the rider that may exist regarding your truck, trailer, & roadside assistance. Some here have shared that this does exist with them and that the trailer is included as long as the truck & trailer are attached which is what will be on the roadside.

Spot

16 hours ago, RandV said:

We have had both Allstate and Good Sam over the years. Switching every couple of years to get the new member price. We have had to use both and had good service from both. If either the truck or trailer are still under warranty,. that is always my first choice because they will tow to a location that will do the repair under warranty. Roadside assistance plans generally only tow to the closest facility that is capable of doing the repair.

If you have a KOA discount card, I believe you can get a discount on Allstate Road Help. A Good Sam Club membership also gives you a discount at Camping World, Gander Mountain, and Overtons in addition to many campgrounds. I am not sure that you have to be a Good Sam member to get their Roadside Assistance. The Good Sam program that has saved me the most is their assistance with warranty claims/disputes. Their intervention on two occasions got warranty claims approved that saved me over $1000. I joined FMCA after they opened to non-motorized RVs for the medical emergency transportation assistance that is included with the basic membership.

You need to review the benefits and costs of each program and determine which one or ones are best for you. 

Edited by trailertraveler

17 hours ago, whj469 said:

Forest River gives you CoachNet of a year at no cost.

Not any more. After 1/1/2019 it is no longer through Coachnet. Here is a link to the info from Forest River. When I talked to the customer service rep at the 866-209-2895 number, she said that the free year only covered the RV (despite what the brochure says). She said renewals cover all vehicles. I have not tried to verify this.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, trailertraveler said:

We have had both Allstate and Good Sam over the years. Switching every couple of years to get the new member price. We have had to use both and had good service from both.

I would hope the service quality from Allstate and Good Sam/Camping World are the same. Good Sam/Camping World contracts with Allstate for their roadside assistance program. I don't know if they've extended beyond this year or not.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2012/12/18/1059927/0/en/Good-Sam-Enterprises-and-Allstate-Roadside-Services-Extend-Roadside-Assistance-Business-Relationship-Into-2019.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system