Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Teacher

New impact

Recommended Posts

Nice.

i just bought a 1” hf pistol grip air driven impact, and it won’t remove my lugnuts.

That was a waste.  I could have put that money towards one of these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Exile said:

Nice.

i just bought a 1” hf pistol grip air driven impact, and it won’t remove my lugnuts.

That was a waste.  I could have put that money towards one of these. 

I want to love harbor freight and for some things they are great. I keep looking at the bench top belt sander, wheel sander combo, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. Same with their air compressor, the price is great but I bought the 8 gallon for my dad, at Christmas 2 years ago, it died in 6 months. We made sure it had oil and everything, just quit, motor wouldn't even turn on. I pulled the air plug, emptied the tank, called harbor dud what they said just dead. I feel your pain. What brand of impact did you buy from them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy most of my tools at a pawn shop. Good quality name brands, will last for years with my use. And usually cheaper than Horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ARGO said:

I buy most of my tools at a pawn shop. Good quality name brands, will last for years with my use. And usually cheaper than Horrible.

I did not know Pawn shops sold tools. I thought they were all jewelry and stuff like that. Thanks for the information. I have never been in a pawn shop before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I did not know Pawn shops sold tools. I thought they were all jewelry and stuff like that. Thanks for the information. I have never been in a pawn shop before. 

Depends on the shop. Some have more tools than a Snap On truck. You do need to know the value though, not all are bargain priced.

In my area, video games and sports equipment are the large part of pawn shop inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Imurphy907 said:

I have all Milwakee at work but DeWalt at home. Maybe Yellow will come out with something competitive soon.

Does Milwakee make a good product? I only have Ridgid tools at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda have to survey around for the right shop(s) - you're correct in thinking that many of the pawn shops tend to be quazi-jewelry shops. However, wwaaaayyyyy back, I bought all my Iron Working & Connector tools from pawn shops, down the harnesses and spud bars. A few of them even went so far as to carry a few of the more popular tools in a new state. Just do your homework. Horrid Flake impacts are one of the "don't even think it" tools they seem to carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, I quit hemming and hawing and bought the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" inch High Tourque Impact Wrench Kit w/ Friction Ring.

 Model#2767-22SS

I took it out of the box, and installed a battery and busted a couple of the lugs nut loose on the Volvo👍.

Didn't even bother to charge the battery first. Tool worked right out of the box.

I am starting a gofundme account to restart my retirement account, but otherwise I am pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parrformance,

Don't worry about buying a good tool to use. Remember the old bad tool vs good tool saying. Good tools make you cry when you buy them but smile every time you use them. Bad tools make you smile when you buy then and cry every time you use them. I have had enough busted knuckles in my past from cheap tools breaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

, i know, please forgive me for i have broken the cardinal rule of tool buying.

my 1/2” Milwaukee impact won’t bust my lugnuts either.  1400 lb ft? Supposed to be the high torque model.  Seems like i bounced up and down on my big breaker bar also with no movement  

i will try bigger hose for hf impact (it is the hf brand), already put all high flow fittings in, even though tool came with standard fitting.

The reviews claim guys use them on semis.  

if that doesn’t do the trick, i’ll stop by the local pawn shops.  I have bought tools in the pawn shops here that you aren’t sold new in any store in my little town (hammer drill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exile said:

, i know, please forgive me for i have broken the cardinal rule of tool buying.

my 1/2” Milwaukee impact won’t bust my lugnuts either.  1400 lb ft? Supposed to be the high torque model.  Seems like i bounced up and down on my big breaker bar also with no movement  

i will try bigger hose for hf impact (it is the hf brand), already put all high flow fittings in, even though tool came with standard fitting.

The reviews claim guys use them on semis.  

if that doesn’t do the trick, i’ll stop by the local pawn shops.  I have bought tools in the pawn shops here that you aren’t sold new in any store in my little town (hammer drill)

You can always get one of these...

TAQmmqIl.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also get a good 3/4 or 1" air impact gun and use your truck air to run them. I keep a 1/2" battery impact on the truck for most things but have a 3/4 air impact for the big stuff. You can get your 1/2" impact to work by increasing the weight of the socket by welding it into a piece of heavy wall pipe. We used to make our own for Honda crank bolts and then Lisle came out with a factory socket that does the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

Take a look at the wall thickness on that socket and you can see the difference. Get an impact socket that will fit your lug nuts and then go to a welding shop, fabricator or machine shop and get them to find or make a sleeve from pipe that will let your socket go inside of it and then weld them together. The additional weight of the socket when the hammers hit will spin a tight lug nut off in a hurry.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, i will see what i have for scrap that i can stick to the socket.  And still get it inside the rim.

and if i get mad, i can get a miltiplier for 52.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the multiplier work? I have looked at these and often wondered. Do you hook the back side up to a drill or socket wrench? Does it make it easier to take off stuff?

Later,

Cory O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 1:55 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Does Milwakee make a good product? I only have Ridgid tools at home.

Yes, Milwaukee is very good. Near the top of the heap. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

Shade My RV



×
×
  • Create New...