Hmm.........Old Goat again.

phoenix2013

This can get complicated in a hurry. The short answer is "it depends". More than likely, Henry has used A572-50 plate (possibly A36) or an AR plate (abrasive resistant) plate. Assuming A572-50 with a 50 ksi nominal yield. The steel jaws will be stronger, less brittle, but will be "softer" than cast iron. This will allow them to deform slightly under load but still be elastic enough to come back to their original state.

The biggest advantage to steel vs cast iron is that steel will elongate and deform in a plastic state but not fail under overload where a #2 cast iron will become brittle and break under that same loading.

Henry does a lot of good research before deciding on materials and with the addition of his new waterjet capacity, I think he is on the right track with his new jaw design.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henry,

Why are you welding the spacer?     Just let it space the jaw, are you concerned about rock?    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Henry,

Why are you welding the spacer?     Just let it space the jaw, are you concerned about rock?    

Steve

If you look carefully on the cast jaws you can see that they are thicker in the areas where the pins go through and that thickness is only about 0.030-0.050" less than the opening in the head where they are mounted. The jaws operate almost 100% in shear (king pin tugging on these back and forth). The spacers are about 3/8 "  thick or 3/4" between the two combined, that's a lot of unsupported distance in shear. That's why the spacers have to be welded to the jaws to form a homogeneous shaft hole with just a tiny gap on top and the bottom.

In shear, gaps or unsupported distances are deadly and change the properties of the material over time which eventually results in stress cracks and failure.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

Let me make a guess.... would that be for one of those new fangled slider (moveable)  HDT hitches?

Nope. But it does have to do with hitches.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

7 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Close, at 425 pounds the plate is heavier than ET Jr., but lighter than ET Sr. Should be a good test for the effect on the minivan maneuvering. I'll probably hit the CAT scales to see what the load is with the "accessories" in front of the plate.

How much can a Mocha Chino Frappe in the cupholder, and layer of fast food wrappers on the floor weigh?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Just had to know it, it was worth $11.50.

B5kbvwrl.jpg

The only GVW spec I found on the Chrysler van (it must be a "secret") was this old one.

pGz8m64l.jpg

We are tad over with 6360. Was concerned about the rear end at 3400, or actually the tires on the rear end. Wife just put 4 brand new Michelins on the car. Max weight rating on those is 1740 lbs per tire. WE ARE GOOD, got 40 pounds to spare on each tire. After all that's exactly what the RV industry does, they give you tires with 100 pounds to spare when you go towing.

But we made it to Kansas and plate will be offloaded tomorrow. Interesting experience driving the van. Steering had to be done slowly and gently, sort of like leading a bride down the aisle to the altar.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:28 AM, noteven said:

Horizontal guillotine in a frontal collision?

That's no joke, and something to take seriously with cargo like that.  Up here in the northern Ohio snow belt we tend to throw weight in the backs of the pickup trucks (and car trunks) in the winter for traction weight.  Most folks us sandbags from the hardware store, but me being young, foolish, cheap and working for the propane company I grabbed a 24x36x2 concrete slab we used for tanks and tossed it in the back by the tailgate for traction.  Then proceeded to get in that front end collision.  The thing flew up just missed the top of the bed and hit the cab about 2" below the window and pushed the sheetmetal in 4".  2" higher it would have gone through the window and killed everybody.  Lesson learned.  So secure that heavy cargo even if it is inside and not going to fall out.

Strapping heavy stuff to seat mounts and the pallet itself will help absorb some energy as the cargo has to tear out the mounts to get airborne. 

I remember a 4 door 1500 GMC pickup being towed in after a front end kaboom. Young mom had no kids in the back. 1 inch plate hubby borrowed from his fab shop for traction came to rest against the backs of the front seats. 

Anyway done being the safety monitor back to the thread topic. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

They do that 

nVEVB5Vl.jpg

70IJeJ4l.jpg

and more

TIKUYL3l.jpg

6ZJVzbAl.jpg

Tanks and parts are welded with a programmable welder that runs around in a circle to weld these. 144,000 square foot facility http://www.youngsweldinginc.com/.

I've seen laser cutters, but this one will cut up to an inch and check the size of the table,  40 feet. They have a smaller one also and a plasma cutter that is even bigger and will do 3 inch plate.

fGBJQJIl.jpg

Also a three stage powder coat line, sand blast, phosphate wash and bake

wItXASDl.jpg

with a 90 foot bake oven at the end.

RmLJqChl.jpg

Those big "bridge parts" go in to be powder coated.

Yes Charlie, I showed you the laser cutter (they also have couple of smaller ones for small and thin stuff)

HLx86xpl.jpg

and a plasma cutter which is something something to see running.

lgV2azJl.jpg

I've seen jobs where the whole table was covered with a steel plate and with plasma head just running around, they don't watch these once set up.. Between these two the ET Hitch parts are just happening.

u8HZExnl.jpg

LyGKArKl.jpg

Just spotted couple of other things they are working on.

SVRI0c0l.jpg

2VVGuSql.jpg

However, this morning,

bZl6sFkl.jpg

this ain't right, this is a Florida car, it's not supposed to see the white crap and then it showed me this,

BqHoU7Nl.jpg

which is just WRONG!

Archived