East Coast Rally mentors

SuiteSuccess

Would anyone who is willing to act as a mentor to a first time attender at the ECR please contact me at ecrcarl@gmail dot com.?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

43 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

What exactly does being a mentor entail at the ECR?

Helping to introduce to others.  Helping answer questions that might not be answered in seminars.  Helping to orient to schedule, happy hours, pot luck, games. And generally being a friendly face in the sea of humanity.  On second thought, if you’re from Georgia, do you have any Halloween masks left to at least make you look friendly?

Seriously, having a set person(s) to turn to if issues arise.  I’m exploring a suggestion from a “newbie” last year who said they felt somewhat lost the first couple of days especially not really knowing any other attendees and didn’t want to intrude into someone’s group.  Doesn’t mean you have to be joined at the hip to them all the time.

BTW one regular may be able to handle more than one first timer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi Carl,

I can remember my first time. I like the suggestion. You could probably use a couple of people. Male and female mentors. Do any of the newbie's come early ? The pre-rally would be a good starting place if there are any newbie's. Just a thought.

More thoughts for later,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

12 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

What exactly does being a mentor entail at the ECR?

This might work Georgia.

lNBT2Tll.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 11/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Keeping Roger out of trouble!

That would be impossible.

11 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

This might work Georgia.

lNBT2Tll.jpg

I don't think the old timers would recognize me if I was that pretty.

Either way. Vicki and I would be willing to scare, I mean help, a new couple navigate thru the the craziness of next years ECR.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

15 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

happy to help, don't know anything worth anything, but I'm happy to help.

10 hours ago, NTPA Announcer said:

We are on board as well . ALways happy to help . We should be headed that way on the 20th , cause you can't miss the "Pre-rally " 

Thanks to you both.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

22 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

That would be impossible.

I don't think the old timers would recognize me if I was that pretty.

Either way. Vicki and I would be willing to scare, I mean help, a new couple navigate thru the the craziness of next years ECR.

Thanks David.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

You can count me in too, Carl.  Ten years ago Ken (RoadFitter) decided to mentor me at the ECR held in VA Beach.  No one knew me nor seemed interested in including me in any discussions/activities - I was honestly ready to leave early and go home.  I guess he thought I looked like a lost puppy.  If it were not for his help and kindness I doubt that I would be a part of this group today.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

5 minutes ago, RandyA said:

You can count me in too, Carl.  Ten years ago Ken (RoadFitter) decided to mentor me at the ECR held in VA Beach.  No one knew me nor seemed interested in including me in any discussions/activities - I was honestly ready to leave early and go home.  I guess he thought I looked like a lost puppy.  If it were not for his help and kindness I doubt that I would be a part of this group today.

Thanks Randy.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hi Carl,

I want to throw this idea out there. It might not work because of scheduling of seminars. What if there was a meet and greet with just newbie's and mentors. Maybe 30 minutes before the whole group gets together on Sunday. That way the newbie's will get a better chance to meet the mentors without being over whelmed. Like I said, it's just a thought.

I have always enjoyed talking to Ken. I also have a good story about Ken myself. I remember the first time I met Ken. Part of the story is. My first ride in a hdt was in Ken's truck. Rest of the story later.

Al

31 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Carl,

I want to throw this idea out there. It might not work because of scheduling of seminars. What if there was a meet and greet with just newbie's and mentors. Maybe 30 minutes before the whole group gets together on Sunday. That way the newbie's will get a better chance to meet the mentors without being over whelmed. Like I said, it's just a thought.

I have always enjoyed talking to Ken. I also have a good story about Ken myself. I remember the first time I met Ken. Part of the story is. My first ride in a hdt was in Ken's truck. Rest of the story later.

Al

Al,

My plan would be that at the Saturday evening introduction, I’ll recognize the newcomers and will let them know we will be offering them a mentor if they choose.  Those folks that choose to have a mentor and the mentors would pair up after the introduction.  That way they could coordinate amongst themselves how much mentoring and their goals.  Not looking to join folks at the hip just attempting to get them introduced and comfortable in the group.  For some folks it’s like the first day of a new school.  They don’t want to sit at the wrong table at lunch so hope to change that.

Al, my only concern is GeorgiaHybrid has volunteered.  Now Vicki is great but Dave, that might be a challenge.🤪

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Color code the name tags for noobs and mentors?

We hope to be there, but since we've only attended one rally, we're more noob than mentor.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

18 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Color code the name tags for noobs and mentors?

We hope to be there, but since we've only attended one rally, we're more noob than mentor.

We already do. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Al, my only concern is GeorgiaHybrid has volunteered.  Now Vicki is great but Dave, that might be a challenge.🤪"

Hi Carl,

I think Dave want's to challenge himself. You know, " A man got's to know their  limitations " . 😎

Al

We will be there for our first east coast rally we stopped and talked to some people before the rally started last year and went to rally in hutch. Sounds like a good idea we usually don’t have a problem walking up and talking to people at campgrounds but some might be more shy than we are. Looking forward to the trip we usually go the the spring Bristol race but I’m sure this will be more fun

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

"Al, my only concern is GeorgiaHybrid has volunteered.  Now Vicki is great but Dave, that might be a challenge.🤪"

Hi Carl,

I think Dave want's to challenge himself. You know, " A man got's to know their  limitations " . 😎

Al

I never have accepted limitations from others, just self imposed ones. Mostly learned the hard way from doing something stupid. :ph34r:

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

Carl,

I know I am time late but I would also want to put my hat in the ring.

Chet

Thank you Chet

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I am not too busy. We are at Deb's mom's home in Clermont, FL.  Betty (89) always has a list of things for us to do when we get here. 

I am anxious to get home and get back to it.  I bought a 6.5KW diesel Generac from Generator Jeff in Clearwater.  Barely fit in the Explorer.  It will get mounted on the Volvo, someplace.  He had a 12.5KW but that was bigger than I needed.

Deb is doing well.  Thanks for asking about her. She goes in for a chemo "maintenance" treatment every two months.  Those give her a red face for a few days but don't otherwise effect her much.  Puts the dampers on any long term travel (like driving to Alaska) or a trip to New Zealand (bucket list events).

Hope to see you in Crossville!

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Archived