8’11” width overall

noteven

I have an older AmeriDeck lift in inventory. It fits crossways back of cab on the deck of my truck. I could carry a bike or two. This machine is 8’11”, with the 5” over on the right hand  side. The bike(s) would not stick out either side - they would be completely fit behind the cab. 

Will I be thrown in jail for 5” overwidth equipment? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

A smart is 106" . Doubt you would have anymore problem than everyone hauling a smart car.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The extra width on a Smart is 2" on each side. Putting 5" on one side will be more noticeable. If another driver some how  "drifts" into you (regardless of on or off road), you can expect the overage will be noticed. You're not likely to be "thrown in jail" BUT, you're rig may well be sidelined until you get an over width permit. I'd be especially concerned in truck stops and rest areas where there's NOT a lot of space between vehicles.

RV's are allowed to have shades extend from the side of a 102" coach body, the 5" may be well inside the mirror so not a big deal width wise in parking.     If your truck has west coast mirrors they can stick out quite a bit, aero mirrors not so much.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Mirrors are safety equipment and are exempted from the 102" limit.  Steps and wheel nuts are also safety equipment.   A load like the Smart is not.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ya Moresmoke the platform itself can be shortened by 5” without having to alter the hoist section by sectioning the platform in the middle. I have the zip cutter skills but not the welding skill to weld the longitudinal frame tubing which is structural. All my “welders” are still occupied by a late harvest this year. This machine can load bikes, smart or atv or whatever up to 2000 lbs. 

The 5” bit of platform is inside the mirrors and visible in the right hand mirror from the driver seat.  As others mentioned it is hardly wider than the 8’6” plus awnings and grab handles trailer.  I’m not a “see if I can fit” parker annyways I will park way over dere and enjoy a walk. 

If I had any concerns about it I would just wait for the 'welders' to become available and do it then. JMHO.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

19 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Dont forget that 11" over in some states and local municipalitys, and is not something you can fix to get back on the road. 

Lance - are there roads limited to 8’ not 8’6”? My trailer is too wide then too. 

If I run the Garmin Deezil in truck mode it warns of dimension issues. 

AAA site lists Texas(, a mistake?), New York and Tennessee as 8'. Interstate and federally funded roads are 8'6" I just saw a good write up the other day but I don't remember the site it had to do with over size permits and referenced 8' local roads.  

I posted a link sometime ago to a better site but can't seem to find it. Some states  seem to have smaller trailer size when pulling with a moter home than with a truck.

my concern with a truck that is built over size is what do you do if the officer is having a bad day, I once gave a crying women on her way to her final divorcé hearing a speeding ticket because my training officer was standing behind me. When we got back to the car he asked me if I really had to give her the ticket. I looked at him and said now you say something? That was in the early 90's and I still feel bad.  

I think I found it.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

Interesting data in the length.  Many states in the rvtripwizard show the maximum trailer length as 28'6".   From what I have seen of the trailers at rallies and in random campgrounds we are all over the length allowed in the trailer category for these states and in many cases exceed the maximum overall length.  While one could get a ticket for exceeding these length figures I personally do not know of anyone non-commercial that has, for example, being written up in Virginia for pulling a 40' fifth wheel RV with the 28'6" maximum still on the books.  I asked my LEO son about the trailer length restrictions.  He gave me sort of a blank look and commented "off the record" those numbers come from outdated laws that the State Legislature just doesn't address unless a strong lobby comes forward with a campaign to change the old laws - the time and expense of changing the law exceeds the importance with all their new bills (laws) that they try to pass during each session.  Therefore the old laws are simply ignored by the majority of LEO's.  An example:  In Memphis Tennessee, it is Illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians (True - it is still on the books). Here is another law also still on the books (and, technically enforceable) in South Carolina: When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle, you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.  LOL, I can imagine what would happen if one did do that!  It would make an interesting court case for sure!

My guess is the 28'6" maximum trailer length law was written and passed in the '40's when a 30' travel trailer simply did not exist nor did the current Interstate highway system. (unless you were Lucile Ball and Ricky Recardo with the Long, Long Trailer 😀).

As for the 8'11" width, I would bet money that you would not be stopped and ticketed unless you were involved in an accident and a lawyer decided to use the width against you to escape liability for the other party.  IMHO, length issues are where things get scary with our rigs.  An inch off of specs can shift the liability to our court very easily.  But, I can ease your concerns by selling you a gallon of my invisibility paint at a reduced price of $800 (plus S&H of $99.97)  Anything it is in or on will become invisible 😎.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

43 minutes ago, RandyA said:

My guess is the 28'6" maximum trailer length law was written and passed in the '40's when a 30' travel trailer simply did not exist nor did the current Interstate highway system. (unless you were Lucile Ball and Ricky Recardo with the Long, Long Trailer 😀).

Randy, the law on 28 1/2 ft trailers is alive and current...not an antigue. Look here  and here  for the 28 ft trailers. All I can speak for is Texas and the Federal regs. Texas limits commercial trailers to 59 feet.....OR....a pair of 28 1/2 foot'ers, but there is no overall length for the combination of trailer(s) and  tractor (commercial vehicle). The Fed Regs also allow the pair of 28 1/2 ft'rs and have a list of grandfathered single trailer lengths by state. 

In Texas non commercial trailers are not restricted by trailer length since the entire non commercial combination is limited to 65ft. 

2014 smart Fortwo

54 minutes ago, RandyA said:

In Memphis Tennessee, it is Illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians (True - it is still on the books).

I think that law is darn good and still should apply!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

3 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve

But Steve,  that's a damn good way to get run over B)

2014 smart Fortwo

4 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve

Steve.....that law was passed by a ex-wife....... gulp 🙃

Drive on......(wave that flag fast....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It should be amended to be “ driving and texting/checking Facebook” 

anyhoo... 

I’ve towed 8’6” wide trailers all over the western US with my foreign plates you would think I would be a target for a chat at least. 

So far my only personal interaction with on duty US law enforcement inside the county has been showing up at a full restaurant while riding my bike and having 3 CHP motor officers ask me to share their table and talk motorcycles. 

Maybe truck patrol is on the lookout for Orange bobtails and paint horse multi vehicle convoys so I am slipping through the dragnet? 

I doubt theres any dragnet. Most goverments dont wont to be known as antie tourist. Of course you might run into a officer whose dog ran off to his wifes boyfriends and he found it in his camper and by the time he got the dog back he was late for his shift. And then he saw you.

I dont know if you hsve to have your vehicle inspected or not but the shop I use is run by friends of over 40 years and I would never ask them to put a sticker on a vehicle I knew to be illegal. They would spot 5" anyway and not inspect it. Then it would be expensive to fix. In Vermont if you fail a inspection the reasons are entered into a computer that every inspection station is connected to as well as every police department. They have to certify that the reason for failure has been fixed even if the station was not the one who failed you

Where it might cause you a problem is if you are stoped for something else.Some officers seam to think once they are out of the car they might as well make it worth there while.

Well I think I will shelve this configuration and project till after snowbird season. After all I would never venture near Chad or Phil’s neck of the woods without making radio contact to grab a coffee or lunch.

And there we would be, awkwardly looking at a blatant example of a flagrant flaunting of regulations, while making small talk...

I couldn’t put them in that position....🙃😀

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Well I think I will shelve this configuration and project till after snowbird season. After all I would never venture near Chad or Phil’s neck of the woods without making radio contact to grab a coffee or lunch.

And there we would be, awkwardly looking at a blatant example of a flagrant flaunting of regulations, while making small talk...

I couldn’t put them in that position....🙃😀

If you buy me enough Dr. Pepper you might could sneak away while I go to the restroom :P

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived