Stored clothing gets moldy

Tcwndsr

We recently had the opportunity to go through some of our more formal and cold weather clothing that was stored in plastic bins both inside the rig and in the storage bay. We were disappointed to find mold setting in on some of it especially shoes, belts but also winter coats and dresses. How can we prevent this in the future?

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

My part time homes out west are in fairly dry climates and I never have mold issues with all the clothes I leave hanging in closets there.  But on my sailboat stored in FL for each summer hurricane season, I learned quickly that I needed to store all my clothing & bedding inside those sealed vacuum bags.  you can find them at Walmart or on Amazon and they come in many sizes from small to jumbo.

Jim

4 hours ago, Tcwndsr said:

We recently had the opportunity to go through some of our more formal and cold weather clothing that was stored in plastic bins both inside the rig and in the storage bay. We were disappointed to find mold setting in on some of it especially shoes, belts but also winter coats and dresses. How can we prevent this in the future?

Have fewer clothes? I traveled with enough basic clothing, including one belt, to last two weeks. I brought one dress up outfit, one swimsuit, pajamas, one pair Crocs and one pair sandals I could wear with the dressy outfit. My cold weather gear consisted of wool socks, silk long underwear, a fleece jacket to go under my hooded windbreaker, a knit hat, and lined gloves. None of that ever went into storage other than my closet. I never had an occasion to wish for more including attending my step-sister's funeral.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, Tcwndsr said:

stored in plastic bins both inside the rig and in the storage bay.

1. I think this is the key issue. If the containers are airtight then any moisture trapped in them will harbor mold spores and the result is now evident. You either need to have some sort of desiccant in the containers or you will need to air the clothing fairly regularly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, Tcwndsr said:

stored in plastic bins

I think this is the key issue. If the containers are airtight then any moisture trapped in them will harbor mold spores and the result is now evident. You either need to have some sort of desiccant in the containers or you will need to air the clothing fairly regularly.

9 hours ago, SWharton said:

Less clothes..........We are full time and just use what we have in our closet. We travel in cold weather or hot weather, just keep layering. Carry a goose down coat in a stuff sack if needed.Have used several times and goes right back into stuff sack.

Same here. We never stored clothes. All were kept in closets/drawers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We all find that we really don't need to take that many clothes with us because we seldom see the same people each week, etc.  You can always pick up more Tees if you need them along the way.   Same for "dressy clothes", if needed there will be somewhere to get something appropriate if needed.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 minutes ago, Tcwndsr said:

Looks like we should start making up a bag for Goodwill. Most of the stuff in the bins hasn’t been used in 2 years.

We had a "one year rule" for most things as well as clothing. If it has not been used in more than a year it isn't needed and out it goes!

I have all seasons of clothing and room to store them, so I have a lot of clothing.  I have rubbermaid containers that I store in one of the bays of the motorhome.  I have never had mold develop.  I have however had it develop in the top storage area under our bed.  It's the part of the slide that is out and exposed to both cold and warm air from inside and out.  I started putting everything that was likely to mold in the zip plastic containers like sheets or comforters come in and also added a damp rid in that section.  No more problem.  Do remember to change the damp rid containers often if in a humid area.  They work well for any smaller enclosed area like a closet or under a dinette booth seat. 

Pat DeJong

The vac bags are the way to go for things that you feel you have to take but seldom need.  Problem is they will be a wrinkled mess when you take them out.  

I have some extra motorcycle gear in our enclosed car hauler (boots, gloves, leathers).  None of it is showing any signs of mold.  I just have it in wall cabinets and not in any type of plastic bags or containers.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

A generic version of damp rid is available at Dollar Tree https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Moisture--Absorber for a $1.00 per container.  I buy them by the case when I can find them and use them in my front load washing machine and dishwasher dish drawer.  They work great to keep it dry and odor free.  In especially humid areas I put one in the water closet and shower stall to keep them fresh. They may help with your clothing but you just need to make sure they stay upright so the water collected doesn't spill on your clothes.

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, Velos said:

A generic version of damp rid is available at Dollar Tree https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Moisture--Absorber for a $1.00 per container.  I buy them by the case when I can find them and use them in my front load washing machine and dishwasher dish drawer.  They work great to keep it dry and odor free.  In especially humid areas I put one in the water closet and shower stall to keep them fresh. They may help with your clothing but you just need to make sure they stay upright so the water collected doesn't spill on your clothes.

Moldy smell often is an indication of high humidity or water. Also temperature changes will make clothes smell that way.

So we too use DampRid (need to replace crystals, though runtime up to 60 days, according to source and our experiences - previously we used it in my father's boat) when we're in such areas with high humidity levels (especially humid deep South), since I'd prefer too over-dry my vehicle than to deal with mold. As another rule - not to collect too many clothes. We store all our clothes inside the RV, and if it won't fit inside, we get rid of it. Vacuum bags or plastic bins that seal tightly are the best bet for storage in bays.

Not all those who wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

On 8/21/2018 at 12:45 AM, SWharton said:

Less clothes..........We are full time and just use what we have in our closet. We travel in cold weather or hot weather, just keep layering. Carry a goose down coat in a stuff sack if needed.Have used several times and goes right back into stuff sack.

Same here. . .  no plastic bins.  Layering is very efficient and creates different outfits. 

Ugh!  This is an old thread & I didn't realize I had already replied.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Same here. . .  no plastic bins.  Layering is very efficient and creates different outfits. 

Silk long underwear makes an excellent layer when it's really cold and takes almost no storage space.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I am fulltime. I have just enough clothes to last a week or two. I don’t have any cold weather clothing. When it get cold I head south. That is how I winterize too, just head south. My clothes can never get moldy because I ware them all the time. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I am fulltime. I have just enough clothes to last a week or two. I don’t have any cold weather clothing. When it get cold I head south. That is how I winterize too, just head south. My clothes can never get moldy because I ware them all the time. 

I agree with all of the above. However, sitting around a group campfire after dark in the Arizona desert in the winter gets COLD! That where I appreciated my silk long johns as one of my layers. The difference between daytime temperatures and nighttime temperatures surprised me.

Linda

On 8/20/2018 at 8:06 PM, JRP said:

My part time homes out west are in fairly dry climates and I never have mold issues with all the clothes I leave hanging in closets there.  But on my sailboat stored in FL for each summer hurricane season, I learned quickly that I needed to store all my clothing & bedding inside those sealed vacuum bags.  you can find them at Walmart or on Amazon and they come in many sizes from small to jumbo.

image.png.7abb7d9580030ee51aec2ac489b2038c.png  The bags and a vacuum cleaner are all that is required to keep clothes safe from mold and mildew. (well, they must be dry initially)  Plus, it reduces storage area required. All our off-season clothes and shoes will fit in one 40G plastic tub ea. this way.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

All our off-season clothes and shoes will fit in one 40G plastic tub ea. this way.

I'm not sure my entire wardrobe would fill a 40G tub. I am, indeed, a minimalist. :)

Linda

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, koelek said:

I dream of being a minimalist, but when I see discounts on beautiful clothes I can't resist shopping. My closets are full of clothes that I don't have time to wear. So, I need to do something about it.

The best thing to do in your situation is to figure out why you buy clothes you won't wear. For me, it turned out I was buying clothes for who I wanted to be rather than who I am. Once I got that figured out, stopping buying excess was easy. I wish you good luck with your challenge.

Linda