Steering gearbox replacement cost on a Volvo?

BlueLghtning

So it turns out it is the output shaft on my steering gearbox that has the bad leak and from what I've been quoted and reading, that generally is best to just replace the entire gearbox if the output shaft is leaking. I was left a VM today that the cost of this installed is $2235. That seems pretty steep, but I've never dealt with this before. I didn't get any details, but I'm assuming that's a new part? Anyone been through this before? Any thoughts? 

I'll call in the morning to find out the breakdown of the cost of the part vs labor, etc. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

BL   I had a leak and I pulled the old one off and replaced it with a used one. The important thing to remember is the alighnment of the spline on the box so that the wheel is in the correct position. 

Another route is to pull the box off and send it to Southern Powertrain in Charlette NC and have them rebuild it. Can you put your truck down for a week or so? Try 800 541 2791. They say 1 day service. Not knowing where you live there maybe a shop close to you that does that kind of repair/rebuild.

When we replaced my steering box it tool a hour to get the used one off of the donater truck, a 1/2 hour to get my old box off and almost a hour to reinstall the used box on my truck. I have a 98 610 and contrary to what the dealer tells you most of the steering boxes will fit. We used the pitman arm that was on the donater.  I've had that used box in the truck for almost 2 years. I gave $350 for the box.    Pat  

The Old Sailor

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

Why not a used box? Anybody with some big metric tools can replace one, just need FEA afterwards.  Where are you?

The truck is in Rapid City, SD and yes for that price I may just have to give this one a a shot. 

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

BL   I had a leak and I pulled the old one off and replaced it with a used one. The important thing to remember is the alighnment of the spline on the box so that the wheel is in the correct position. 

Another route is to pull the box off and send it to Southern Powertrain in Charlette NC and have them rebuild it. Can you put your truck down for a week or so? Try 800 541 2791. They say 1 day service. Not knowing where you live there maybe a shop close to you that does that kind of repair/rebuild.

When we replaced my steering box it tool a hour to get the used one off of the donater truck, a 1/2 hour to get my old box off and almost a hour to reinstall the used box on my truck. I have a 98 610 and contrary to what the dealer tells you most of the steering boxes will fit. We used the pitman arm that was on the donater.  I've had that used box in the truck for almost 2 years. I gave $350 for the box.    Pat  

The Old Sailor

Thanks for the info! 

1 hour ago, wtgeodog said:

I had mine replaced in July 2014.

Parts= $1582.00

Labor $1142.00

Total Cost= $2725.57

They also had to replace the pitman arm on mine

The box itself cost $965.00 with a core charge of %325.00

ShortyO

Ouch. Thanks for the break out. 

So I was able to call thee shop back although the mechanic that quoted it doesn't come in until 10am. The quote is for OEM steering gear box at $1737.94 1f62e.png😮 and about 4 hours labor at $124/hr. 

I've asked them to see if there are some other options and maybe a bit cheaper. With a truck that only see's 12-15k miles a year, that's pretty steep. 

Although I have a kenworth and not a Volvo, I bought a rebuilt gear box for about $400. I paid a local shop $300 to change it out. I use them for everything while I am in California. The dealer is too much. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

They gave me a couple more options, but still not great.

Volvo OEM - $1737.94 / $1671 reduced price / Sheppard gear. Volvo# 176701, M100 box. 

4-5 hrs labor / $124/hr

Option #2 $847.58 out of TN - Reman through freightliner 4-5 days to receive

Option #3 $968.30 out of Chicago 2-3 day shipping   

45 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Although I have a kenworth and not a Volvo, I bought a rebuilt gear box for about $400. I paid a local shop $300 to change it out. I use them for everything while I am in California. The dealer is too much. 

I would have no issues paying those prices. I'm still searching. 

Well, I went with option #2. Not the best price from what some of you have found your remans, but they did a little better on price it's workable and my truck is already there at their shop. I'm an hour from Rapid City so going to pick it up and take it to a new shop adds a whole lot more time and aggravation just to save a $100-$200 dollars.

1.8 million miles on my steering box and no slop or leaking. If I did have to repair/replace it I would go with a re-manufactured unit from the original manufacturer of the steering box, or someone who specializes in such. Would not consider used, have no idea what condition or use has been. Not a difficult job for the shade tree mechanics we have here.....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I had to replace mine several years ago because the seal was leaking. At some time in history someone tried to drill out the seal and buggered up the shaft. I don't remember where the replacement came from but it was some place in TX. It was a bit pricey because I have a heavy front end (14.6K) and they told me it was not a regular box but for a heavy front end. Could have been blowing smoke but I was a newbie and it has not leaked since.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

44 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Has your leak been fixed?  

Yep, I got it back today. Expensive fix to pay someone to do it, but it's done. Steering feels nice and tight. I guess I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out of my 18 year old truck. :D

Archived