Keeping RV Fridge Cool While Driving

RedRaider89

34 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Propane on when in travel always have.

Me too. Have tried several times to shut off in morning and turn on when arriving at campsite at night. But will go from 15/42 f. to 34/65 f. after a days travel. Of course where I live in South Texas, 90 to 95 f. is normal in the summer, so am not really surprised,

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperature rise will depend upon the length of travel.  Since we do ~200 miles per day (4 hours) we very seldom have a problem.  And if the temperature is anywhere near 100, we run the generator and have the roof air conditioning going, so the frig is on electric and not a problem.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 hours ago, jcussen said:

But if you boondock a lot, and don't want to run your generator, and don't have a lot of solar and batteries, then you don't need a compressor.

Since compressors don't require being level, for me it was worth investing in solar and batteries. Once I went that route I never had to worry about driving long, steep grades and as long as I wasn't going to roll out of bed when parked I was level enough. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Since compressors don't require being level, for me it was worth investing in solar and batteries. Once I went that route I never had to worry about driving long, steep grades and as long as I wasn't going to roll out of bed when parked I was level enough. :)

Linda

You have never had to worry about driving long steep grades with an absorption unit.  It is not a problem for them at all. In fact the movement while you are on the road assures that flow through the coils continues. And getting an RV level enough to assure proper operation of an absorption unit is not difficult. In fact, if you can walk/sleep comfortably in the RV it is level enough for the fridge. 

These are non-issues. Are they really the reason that you chose a compressor unit??

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

To add to this, we disliked ours. It was a small 10 cf unit. Does not cool like we like. We have a residential unit in our Teton. Also feeling as we do, even boon docking, we add extra solar for it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

Since compressors don't require being level, for me it was worth investing in solar and batteries. Once I went that route I never had to worry about driving long, steep grades and as long as I wasn't going to roll out of bed when parked I was level enough.

As many advantages as there are to a standard refrigerator in an RV, surely this is not serious? We have been using absorption refrigerators in RVs since 1972 and have used them in 49 states, yet have never had such worries! Each system has its benefits so let's allow logic and reason to prevail. I write this sitting at the table in a COE park as we begin a trip that will last nearly 4 months and if your statement is true I suppose we need to stop and buy a bunch of solar equipment and a new refrigerator before we continue? If I were ever to return to fulltime RV living I would have a compressor refrigerator in the RV but for short trips and seasonal use in an inexpensive RV the costs that you spent are clearly not justified. A small RV like ours does not have the number of batteries or the cargo capacity to carry them for that to be at all practical. It should also be pointed out that there are compressor refrigerators that are designed for boats and RVs.

This debate is like most choices in life in that there is no single best answer and far too often people try to influence others that their way is the only or the best choice without any consideration of other folk's reasons and situation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We do have a residential freezer in the rear of our 5th wheel that runs on electric  only so it is of course not powered when in travel. We keep it at -5 degrees and after 8 hours  of travel it might be at 0 degrees or so.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It is a upright and of course we do not open it during travel.We have had it  in two 5th wheels since 2006.It is a Kenmore.We did replace the door seal about 3 years ago.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

Since compressors don't require being level, for me it was worth investing in solar and batteries. Once I went that route I never had to worry about driving long, steep grades...

You never did in the first place.

6 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

These are non-issues. Are they really the reason that you chose a compressor unit??

No; they were bonus. I chose a compressor unit because my last rig had NO propane system. I didn't like having to hunt for places to refill propane.

Maybe I didn't need to do so but I did worry about the previous absorption fridge on long, steep grades like the one at Whitebird Hill leading into Dave's brother's place. Avoiding that hill was not an option if we were going to go visit him.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

A small RV like ours does not have the number of batteries or the cargo capacity to carry them for that to be at all practical. It should also be pointed out that there are compressor refrigerators that are designed for boats and RVs.

This debate is like most choices in life in that there is no single best answer and far too often people try to influence others that their way is the only or the best choice without any consideration of other folk's reasons and situation.

Mine was one of those designed for boats/RVs. And it was in my conversion van so space was indeed a consideration although I had plenty of weight capacity which made it doable for me.

I hope you are not accusing me of saying there is only one way of doing anything related to RVing. Have you not been reading my posts which often begin with, "It depends."?

And I was being somewhat facetious with my post about level. It seemed appropriate for these discussions that go round and round without ever really saying anything. I'm sorry I posted it, though.

Linda

5 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

That's a well insulated unit! Is it a chest or upright?

Depends on the ambient temperature.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, jlc1988 said:

That seems too easy. Isn't there some type propane lighting ritual or something? 

No there is not. Your refrigerator has an electronic ignition system and does not use a pilot light. You make sure that you have propane and the batteries are up and it should operate on propane. If set to auto the unit will shift to electric when you connect to outside power or start the generator if you have one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This whole subject was argued for years before I decided to contact the Engineer at Marshal Gas controls who are no longer in business. However at the time they made most of our RV regulators and brass fittings and were active in helping with writing legislation about RV propane systems. Ed Lee Sr, was generous with his time and the articles I wrote with his help are still accurate and relevant. My series of articles on Propane and the safety check valves and hi/lo pressure safety devices are covered in layman's terms here on my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id42.html

Here is a reference to Ed Lee Senior on another forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25633801/gotomsg/25633870.cfm#25633870

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

This whole subject was argued for years before I decided to contact the Engineer at Marshal Gas controls who are no longer in business. However at the time they made most of our RV regulators and brass fittings and were active in helping with writing legislation about RV propane systems. Ed Lee Sr, was generous with his time and the articles I wrote with his help are still accurate and relevant. My series of articles on Propane and the safety check valves and hi/lo pressure safety devices are covered in layman's terms here on my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id42.html

Here is a reference to Ed Lee Senior on another forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25633801/gotomsg/25633870.cfm#25633870

Safe Travels!

Very informative, nice to have actual facts, instead of "chicken little, the sky is falling"

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

We also consulted Ed Lee ,sr years ago on the proper use and operation of Propane tanks and regulators. I prefer facts rather than  " i heard it"

27 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Absolutely true. Don't use propane. Ever. Whether in motion or stopped.

Agreed!

That's what the smaller section above the fridge is for. Fill it with ice and it keeps the lower part nice and cold... even while driving. That's why I purchased a portable ice maker. It's been getting harder and harder to order ice delivery and hate having to make long drives trying to find somewhere to get the refer topped off. A little electricity and water... I can produce my own by the pound.

I can understand the concern about steep grades though. Anything over a 6% grade and my refer door won't hold back a 10lb ice block. Nothing worse than getting to where you're going to discover only half a block left and long puddles in the kitchen where it's been sliding back and forth the past 100 miles. 😕

Archived