Traveling with bananas

PAylor

Hi all,

I know this sounds inane but I am tired of throwing away food!

We are on the road.  I love to have a banana every day.  One day of travel bruises my bananas terribly. I have tried to put them in a padded chair, on the carpet on the floor, nestled in towels and they always get bruises from the shaking of our fifth wheel.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Seems to me a banana tree might just "rip" through the roots with continual bouncing. A hammock style might work.

I don't know if it would work or not, but I would probably try keeping them in a deep bucket of water. Of course.. you would probably want to plastic wrap the root and secure it with a rubber band or the like. Another test might be to freeze them and take them out one at a time a couple of hours before you want to take a bite.

I know they freeze very well peel on or off. But heck.. why not slice them all up, freeze them, then just take out however many slices you feel like on the fly.

My wife also loves to have a banana every day.  We have been full timing for 6 years and 11 months and she never has a problem with them getting damaged when we travel.  She simply puts them in a fruit bowl along with any other unrefrigerated fruit and then places the bowl on a folded kitchen towel in the kitchen sink. We also travel in a fifth wheel and it is a rear kitchen which we love.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

10 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

How about buying one each day and eating it before you leave each day.  Failing that don't buy one on a travel day and wait until you get to where you are going to stay, buy one then.

So , you must travel from grocery store to grocery store , right ? 

Goes around , comes around .

Never had a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 minutes ago, J-T said:

Thought I was gong to be reading something funny about your traveling companions  :D

That would be a different topic: "Traveling with fruitcakes" :rolleyes::D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I made a hammock to hold bananas and other easily bruised food. It hung underneath a kitchen cupboard. It worked well. Be sure it can't swing against a wall, though. Mine was anchored at four corners so didn't swing at all. Details here: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2013/08/i-say-tomato/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

21 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I noticed that you didn't mind buying food, you just hate throwing it away. Simple solution, get a pet monkey, I don't think it would mind a bruised banana every now and then. ?

Excellent!   ?

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Store them in the refrigerator. Even though the outside will turn brown, the inside will be perfect. They'll last longer that way. You could also slice them and freeze them. They'll defrost fast if laid out on a plate.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 7/30/2017 at 6:48 AM, Sehc said:

If this was a problem I would carry them in the tow vehicle. how many bananas are we hauling?

2 , maybe 3 ... Anyway , most likely less than a dollars worth . But hey , it's the little things that make the big things run . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived