Luxury tax in Montana

bobsallyh

According to an article in this AM Bozeman newspaper, the Senate passed a luxury tax bill on "luxury vehicles and RVs. John Bennett of the Missoula law firm also comments. Read here

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/mtleg/senate-panel-passes-ferrari-tax-targeting-luxury-cars-rvs/article_3f3ec22a-c400-5c6e-bb74-5241cb9326f4.html

The way I interpreted that article is; luxury vehicles and RV's are taxed at 1% of retail value if it's over $150,000 when new, the first year is.9%,  .8% 2nd year. Apparently no tax for older than 2 years. That is still a lot less tax than many other states; I read on another forum about a man paying 10% in his state.

You gotta pay to play, as the saying goes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A total of 984 luxury vehicles and 42 motor homes are now registered in Montana that would meet the age and value requirements and qualify for the tax, Justice Department spokesman Eric Sell said.

Only 42 motorhomes that the cost exceeds $150,000? I really wonder about that one since I think that Bennette Law Office represents more of them than that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I thought the same thing about "42". Since it doesn't take much to reach the $150,000 MSRP on a MH today, I'll bet that Wagon Wheel and Gardner's in Kalispell, Bretz in Missoula, Big Sky in Bozeman and Pierce with their multiple outlets have a combined 42 new $150,000  new units sitting  on their lots.

• 11 months later...

Montana now adds $800 to your registration if your RV’s MSRP is $300,000. We bought our RV in 2010 and did not pay that for our coach but for Montana, it does not matter. Our registration renewal this month had the $800 added. I am told that tax is good for 10 yrs.  Big deal.

4 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

This targeting should be illegal. This reminds me of how the AMA wages battle for the motorcyclist in legislature. Where's our advocates?

I’d bet the target is the large number of people from other states that use a Montana LLC to avoid taxes in their home states and register RV’s, boats, airplanes, and other expensive possessions while paying little or no tax to MT 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 minutes ago, funesytrvl said:

Excise Tax in Maine for $150,000 for the First year of registration is 3,600.00 :huh::wacko::blink::unsure::angry::angry::ph34r:

Yearly property tax in NC was that for the house.  Add 2 vehicles, RV, boat, it was expensive to leave on the coast.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

13 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Yearly property tax in NC was that for the house.  Add 2 vehicles, RV, boat, it was expensive to leave on the coast.

I hear that! we sold our beloved home we built and raised the kids in when we retired. We had our own water well, septic and paid for private garbage pick up, town didn't offer it. Wife and I agreed if taxes ever exceeded 1,000.00 per month we would sell and spend the money on something else. Well it hit that mark 2 yrs before we could retire so we stuck it out and then sold and ran away. 

When i bought my RV i paid a one time tax of over $10,000!! But of course in Canada medical care is "free" so it comes even in the end.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

When I bought two years ago I considered a Montana LLC.  But I kept thinking about what happened to our local county treasurer who happened to live across the street from a highway patrol. Plated out of state but kept said vehicle in our county. Did not work out real well. This works it you live on the road but if you stay in your local state but plate it some where else the county gets unhappy. Best to check with your residing state.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

5 hours ago, orca said:

When i bought my RV i paid a one time tax of over $10,000!! But of course in Canada medical care is "free" so it comes even in the end.

It’s ok orca our American cousins pay 12% Federal Excise Tax concealed in the clear and concise pricing of a rv...:lol:

oh and many bucks in some states for “tags”...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

Really? I don't think so. Motorhomes and travel trailers are exempt. 

I stand corrected. A thousand pardons Kirk. My only experience was with exporting new manufactured truck mounted commercial equipment. The US tax process bordered on the comical sometimes. 

The last 5 rv’s I bought in Canada were used, private party sales. The “one time tax” where I live was $0.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 10:28 AM, bobsallyh said:

According to an article in this AM Bozeman newspaper, the Senate passed a luxury tax bill on "luxury vehicles and RVs. John Bennett of the Missoula law firm also comments. Read here

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/mtleg/senate-panel-passes-ferrari-tax-targeting-luxury-cars-rvs/article_3f3ec22a-c400-5c6e-bb74-5241cb9326f4.html

I live in Montana just paid my renewal on my Motorcoach which is a 2010 Allegro Bus and paid $800.00 in addition to the registration fee. Thank goodness this luxury tax is deductible! You have to wait until the RV/Motorcoach is 11 yrs old to be no longer subject to the tax. Beware!  

On 3/27/2018 at 6:11 AM, pkusmc said:

Montana now adds $800 to your registration if your RV’s MSRP is $300,000. We bought our RV in 2010 and did not pay that for our coach but for Montana, it does not matter. Our registration renewal this month had the $800 added. I am told that tax is good for 10 yrs.  Big 

Pkusmc,

Hate to disappoint you, but it is not a one time tax. Per DMV of Montana, you get charged this tax until your RV is 11 years old, because they hold their resell value well. I just registered our 2010 Allegro Bus, which won't be eligible for permanent plates for 3 more years, and their plateau is $800 at the lowest each year. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I lived most of my life in NC. They even tax the dogs. Also as a side note, after we left, sold everything in NC, they had the nerve to fine us for tax evasion. Had to send copy of property of Texas resident and copy of bill of sale for NC home. They dropped it but fact is they are serious about stealing our money. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived