Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

Hey all,

Old SKP member - New Forum member... The reason I have been a member of Escapee is that I thought I would already be on the road from last summer. Now I am shooting for this summer....

Just can't make the river flow any faster sometimes...

But just joined the forum to keep the spirit's up and the vision active.

-Angel (my dog) & Stu

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason I have been a member of Escapee is that I thought I would already be on the road from last summer. Now I am shooting for this summer....
I know the feeling. We've been members for a year and a half and have not made it on the road yet either. But, much of that time was spent researching to figure out how to go about it. Since this is our first RV, there was so much to learn, even for just the basics. I'm sure we will learn even more as we go along.

Tim

2009 43' Dutch Aire, Spartan Mountain Master GT, Cummins ISL 425 HP, Onan 10KW diesel, 2014 Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, Blue Ox Aventa LX, Roadmaster base plate, Unified tow brake

• 2 weeks later...

I have a favorite saying, when we moved the last couple of times, and now as we are preparing to move on to the full time lifestyle:

"Nuke It!"

I hate clutter, in my S.B. house and when the time comes in my MH. Plus this clutter adds WEIGHT!

I read a while ago that if you have something that is not used in say a month, then why are you keeping it? I can really believe this. Sal. Army and others are going to be very happy with us as we make this transition. I have found that more can be made from tax deductible donations than sales in many cases, especially those items that do not go well in the sales. We will try the garage sale route as spring hits here in Northwest NY, but the estate sale guy is going to be busy for anything that does not go in the garage sales. For anything left that we will not be using, or is a duplicate, "Nuke It!"

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Well, we have been liquidating stuff in earnest since the first of the year. As of today we have pocketed about $2,000. Some things we almost gave away and somethings brought more than we paid for them! We have much more to sell, give away, or trash. We have a local concession/auction shop that does a great job. Very little effort on our part. They even pick the stuff up! They will be making another pickup in about 3 weeks.

We are planning on hitting the road around June 1st. Wife will quit her job and I will leave mine for 3 months at a time. I have a VERY flexible job that I do when, and if, I want. We will stay in the 5th wheel full time but sometimes it will be parked where I work. 3 months work and 3 months travel. Unless I decide work just isn't fun anymore.

We are not selling the house (although we would be happy if we could find a buyer) but leasing it. Things are coming together and let me tell you it really doesn't hurt as much as we thought. It's only stuff, and remember, an anchor is just stuff too!

Bruce & Darlene

I hear ya'll about "stuff" but getting rid of "stuff" is very hard for me. I do nearly all my own maintenance and have a lot of tools that I haven't used in years but are very handy when I need them. Maybe tools don't count as stuff... The 1 month/1 year rule just won't work for me.

Then there's materials. That peice of scrap metal I just threw away would've been perfect for the bracket I need to make. Intelectually I know it's not worth paying storage or even transporting to my BIL's place. Tossing materials is hard but getting easier. There is only so much I really need.

My house, garage and outbuildings are cluttered and I know I can't continue that in the RV. We just stared our 3rd week of vacation in the RV and there's so many things we "need" but didn't bring with us. Almost makes me think we should be on the road a year or so before we get rid of everything but that makes no sense.

Does anybody know success rates for going FT?

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

Sold the house in October 2012 and moved into temporary quarters. Bought the truck in November and ordered the rig. 5er will be delivered in late February or early March which will give us some time to get used to it with several trips in the area before we head Florida for winter.

Any good ideas for our trip to NE, lots to see with no real plan at this time so any ideas are welcome!!!

Well escrow closed last Monday on the old anchor, I mean house. Moved all the non trailer items into my daughters places. Even when you think you've gotten rid of all non essentials you still have a lot of "stuff". Been at the RV park since last Friday and loving it. The house I sold had a swimming pool that I maintained so you can imagine my ear to ear grin as I watched the maintenance man clean the pool at the park yesterday. We plan on staying here until June when the DW retires from her job then we'll probably head towards Colorado for the summer. To all that are waiting on the house to sell, I wish you the best of luck, it will happen.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve & Debby
Where the weather's right
2004 Country Coach Allure Newport
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2012 Harley Ultra Limited

Well escrow closed last Monday on the old anchor, I mean house. Moved all the non trailer items into my daughters places. Even when you think you've gotten rid of all non essentials you still have a lot of "stuff". Been at the RV park since last Friday and loving it. The house I sold had a swimming pool that I maintained so you can imagine my ear to ear grin as I watched the maintenance man clean the pool at the park yesterday. We plan on staying here until June when the DW retires from her job then we'll probably head towards Colorado for the summer. To all that are waiting on the house to sell, I wish you the best of luck, it will happen.

Cheers,

Steve

I can just imagine your pleasure at watching the pool guy at work! Congratulations. Maybe we'll see you out on the road sometime.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I hear ya'll about "stuff" but getting rid of "stuff" is very hard for me. I do nearly all my own maintenance and have a lot of tools that I haven't used in years but are very handy when I need them. Maybe tools don't count as stuff... The 1 month/1 year rule just won't work for me.

Then there's materials. That peice of scrap metal I just threw away would've been perfect for the bracket I need to make. Intelectually I know it's not worth paying storage or even transporting to my BIL's place. Tossing materials is hard but getting easier. There is only so much I really need.

My house, garage and outbuildings are cluttered and I know I can't continue that in the RV. We just stared our 3rd week of vacation in the RV and there's so many things we "need" but didn't bring with us. Almost makes me think we should be on the road a year or so before we get rid of everything but that makes no sense.

Hey Charlie, this is what you need, Will

post-24133-0-55699100-1360210581_thumb.jpg

Fulltiming off and on since the 70's

Now steady since 2000

http://www.smashword...view/willdecker

Hi All. Laura and Andre from Rhode Island here. Well, we did it! Actually, FINALLY, closed on our house after 15 months and moved out. We plan to work two more weeks and are currently staying in and Extended stay hotel until the last few days which we will spend with my sister, also in Rhode Island. Sold one car last week and have a few bites on the other car this week. Everything else we own has been sold, given away, stored or is currently sitting in our hotel room or stuffed in the one car we have left! The motorhome is parked undisturbed in a quiet corner of a friends yard until the week before we leave. We are currently expecting a massive snowstorm tomorrow, so we will likely be digging it out before we go. I'm glad I didn't de-winterize it yet. Anyway - we just learned last week that we got a Volunteer position in Big Bend NP in Texas that we applied for. We will be there manning the visitor center at Chisos Basin for the months of May, June & July. I've heard it can be sweltering, but I'm so sick of snow and winter that that sounds mighty fine to me right now! So many of you have been talking about the "unloading" of stuff. For us, it was a real step-down process, as we did it gradually over the last two years but we are at the point now that is very strange; you can literally carry everything you have left in your car. It liberating and also terrifying at times. I guess we truly are jumping off the proverbial "cliff" into the unknown - and it will all make better sense to me in a few weeks when I am sitting on a beach in Florida! Best of luck to all on your own journeys.

Laura

Cheers,

Steve

Put the For Sale sign in the yard today; first showing is tomorrow. Hope the quick response is a good omen. Agent says the house has good curb appeal and shows real nice. He says inventory of available homes is down and selling prices are trending upward. I'm encouraged and excited about taking this step toward retirement.

Pleinguy

Solo Fulltimer

2004 Lazy Daze 23.5ft Twin-King

Class C Motorhome
PleinAirJourney.com

That is frighteningly similsr to what I already have. LOL!

Guy just parked a 28' trailer in front of me he pulls with a 43' MH. He says he's had "no problem" towing it. There's hope! LOL!

Hey Charlie, this is what you need, Will

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

3 weeks into our last vacation before retirement and have to go home soon. Do NOT want to go home. I think that means we're emotionally ready to FT. Now if all my "treasures" would magically disappear and the house would get itself ready for market I'd be set!

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

3 weeks into our last vacation before retirement and have to go home soon. Do NOT want to go home. I think that means we're emotionally ready to FT. Now if all my "treasures" would magically disappear and the house would get itself ready for market I'd be set!

If it helps you do it, think about the people who didn't have to get ready because a hurricane did it for them.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This week we are moving everything we're taking with us into the motorhome. Our blow-out sale will be this weekend and everything that doesn't sell will go to charity. We'll stay parked in the driveway until the middle of next week and then head west toward Arizona as our first destination. We lived there for 3 years and are looking forward to seeing old friends.

Linda Z

1994 Rexhall Aerbus

If it helps you do it, think about the people who didn't have to get ready because a hurricane did it for them.

Linda Sand

I am grateful every day for my good fortune and the "problems" I have. For good or bad, the misfortunes (hurricane victims) or fortunes (lottery winners) of others aren't going to do much to motivate me in the actually "doing it" part of cleaning out the house. It does help me think about how I can help others locally by donating to organizations or giving directly to individuals. I have a lot of "treasures" that I'd like to think giving to someone would help them a lot more than the few dollars I'll get trying to sell them will help me.

I did make good progress yesterday and today with some of my less desireable "treasures" at the dump and metal recycler.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

Charley,

Your story sounds familiar, I can't think of ever paying for any home or vehicle repairs as I did them all myself and accumulated a lot of excess materials over the years. I couldn't part with my tools so I stored them at my daughters garage. I can tell you this though on a positive note. Since we've just started fulltiming there are a lot of modifications I've been making on the trailer at the RV Park. Not having everything available to do the job quickly could be conceived as a pain in the *** but instead of looking at it that way I'm looking at each job as an adventure!!! yea it might take me longer to finish each job but hey, I'm retired now.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve & Debby
Where the weather's right
2004 Country Coach Allure Newport
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2012 Harley Ultra Limited

Charley,

Your story sounds familiar, I can't think of ever paying for any home or vehicle repairs as I did them all myself and accumulated a lot of excess materials over the years. I couldn't part with my tools so I stored them at my daughters garage. I can tell you this though on a positive note. Since we've just started fulltiming there are a lot of modifications I've been making on the trailer at the RV Park. Not having everything available to do the job quickly could be conceived as a pain in the *** but instead of looking at it that way I'm looking at each job as an adventure!!! yea it might take me longer to finish each job but hey, I'm retired now.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks.

For the next few years we'll have a summertime base at the BIL's in TN. Gonna store heavy tools there. Plan to carry as much as I can. I'm expecting no shortage of maintenance and modifications on the road.Hope our paths cross.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'02 Jeep Wrangler

New member here saying hello! :D With any luck a soon to be happier member of the class of 2013. I'm currently working on a self build cargo van conversion and hope to be on the road (at least part time) by this summer and full time by the end of the year. I've been lurking on this and some other RV sites for a few months, so people may recognize my screen name from elsewhere.

It's time to start living.....

We just pulled the trigger. Agreed to purchase a MH yesterday. Things are now in the works. I have listed the info on the MH here. We will be listing the house shortly and moving into the MH FT.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

The house is under contract and we have 18 day till closing, garage sale is next Saturday and Sunday, friends and relatives are helping by coming and getting the stuff they want or need. It is not easy saying goodbye to most of my tools and man stuff, for my wife reducing all her collectables is a challenge. Next week I will start trial fitting our stuff in the fifth wheel, I already know it will not fit so we will eliminate more stuff until it all has a home. Some of the stuff seems to be emotionally connected but I am sure that once it is all gone I will feel better about it. Ordered a new truck so also selling the old one and our car while waiting for them to build it. Moving our mail to escapees, since we live in Texas this is a no brainer. All of these changes happening so fast and I have the nagging feeling I am forgetting some thing but cannot imagine what it would be. Any and all suggestion and comments welcome.. Hello class of 2013.

Dan & Janice
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
2012 Dutchman Voltage 3905
Daisy the Guard Schnauzer

Archived