Class of 2013 is awful quiet

archer

Well, we move out of the stick house tomorrow. RV goes to a local camp ground for the next six weeks as we learn the ropes of living in it with four girls in a toy hauler garage made into a bedroom. We hit the road around the end of May and look forward to seeing some of you out there.

Congratulations! What a big day for you. I hope it all goes well.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first ten days as full timers (not quite retired yet) have been interesting. We're quite comfortable in the 35' 5ver and most everything is okay but we're finding a few problems with our 2007 Hitchhiker. I found that the carpet was soaked along the wall by the shower stall in our bedroom. The walls needed to be recaulked. I had to pull the carpet up because it was quite wet and I knew the padding under it would hold water like a sponge. I doubt it will ever go back in again - but it probably needs to be replaced with some kind of vinyl anyway. Who, in their right mind would ever carpet around a shower anyway?

Also, after a big storm last night we found a puddle of water in the kitchen - it had come in around a kitchen window, flowed across the counter and then to the floor. At least it isn't carpeted! I'm not excited about it but that window will probably have to come out and be resealed. There's also another window that let just a little water in - but water is our enemy so far as the camper is concerned, I think it will have to be resealed too.

Aside from that things are going rather well. We know these kinds of things are just part of settling in to our rig. It's really in beautiful shape - most people mistake it for new. Once we get these issues in hand we'll be ready to hit the road in a few weeks.

Scott, Our neighbor dropped by and spent almost an hour looking things over. He said he could not believe our coach was not new. He just kept saying "This is soooo cool!" I think perhaps we have him thinking, but his wife is far from ready, and daughter is still in HS.

Sorry about the leaking problems. Like you say that is a part of settling in with a pre-owned rig. We'll see what we find with ours. The weather here has been our biggest problem. It has been well below normal temp. since spring arrived with only a couple of days in the normal range. It was 30 degrees and raining, mixed precipitation all day yesterday. The rain is supposed to continue today. I am having to keep the furnace running to keep everything from freezing. Each time we show the house, we temp. move into the coach, and it's cold! I'm keeping the thermostat at about 55 for now. Unfortunately our driveway is steep enough that I cannot level the coach so we cannot move in until we move it to an RV Park on April 26th. Plus we cannot put the slides out so setting things up is a little more of a PITA. Oh well, the 26th will be here before we know it.

We found out the other day that our youngest grandson (8 years old) will be spending the summer with us (he lives about 1000 miles away so we do not see him often). This should be a ball. His older brother (15 years old) will be spending a week before going to his dad's house for the summer. It will be interested in the coach with both of them. We'll have to figure out sleeping arrangements for that week.

So far everyone who has looked at the house have said it's fantastic, but each have found one little negative. It has been listed for 2 weeks now so we are not worried. We have heard from several of the realtors bringing people in that they will be back with others as houses are really selling now. The number of nice, turn key houses is very limited in this area. Ours has all the upgrades done and is ready to just move in and live in. We are feeling very positive about the house selling quickly.

Have a great time getting everything set the way you want it. The adventure is just beginning!

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

We found out the other day that our youngest grandson (8 years old) will be spending the summer with us

Medico - you are going to have a blast with that grandson...what a neat thing.

As you know it only takes one buyer on the house. If you are getting lookers you are well on your way to getting an offer.

I talked to my rv guru last night and we decided to go ahead and take the windows out and then reseal them. I'm ordering the butyl tape today and we should be able to do the job late next week. We're counting down to our May 6 drive off day!

It looks like we will take a trip with the coach and meet our daughter half way (Cincinnati, Oh.) to pick up the boys sometime around Memorial day. They get off school in May. Spend at least one night there, then head back with both boys. I'm sure we will have a full coach that night with both boys and our daughter and her sig. other. We are really looking forward to it. Talk about exciting, and can't wait. We only get to see them a couple times a year for a few days. Once my wife retires in Oct. we plan on spending much more time visiting, at our leisure!

Re-sealing 2 windows shouldn't be too bad, but if your luck is as good as mine, it will take 3 times longer than you plan for! :rolleyes:

It really sounds to me that you're all having great adventures and including you , Scott. I am not sure buying a pressed rig is any more challenging than buying a new one. Our brand new Trilogy has its issues but we LOVE it. I wish we could park in our driveway. We're in a HOA and our 5th wheel is here, then it's in storage, then it's back here again. Half of our stuff is moved in and half not. Wish we could just park it here and pack slowly. Hitting the road May 5 or sooner. Can't wait!

I haven't posted since December, but I finally feel like I can get involved with this group. We finally have buyers for our house - we put it up on the market September 1st. We sign the contract tomorrow, then have to go through inspection and everything else...getting rid of more "stuff" and selling furniture and equipment. Settlement will be July 1st and we will move out sometime in June. I'm finishing my 30th year of teaching, but I can't actually retire till I am 55, which is the end of September, so I have to work all of that out, too. It's so weird to think that our RV will be our home. I don't think it has truly sunk in yet! One day sure can change your whole life! I look forward to getting to know all of you here as we make our full-timer plans!

Amy and Dave

Class of 2013

'11 43 ft. Entegra Aspire
'12 Jeep Sahara Unlimited

I agree. It is so weird to think our RV will be our home! We are leaving tomorrow to go pick up our RV. Once we get it home it will have to stay in storage and get dragged out on weekends to start loading it as we can't keep it at out rented townhouse...it's bigger than our driveway anyway!

Guess we are lucky in a way, that we rent and don't have to sell a house. Still, have to get rid of so many things. Working out plans with my kids and my brother to come visit and take what they want before we start selling. Will be so happy when this part is finished!

Good luck to all of you who are getting out on the road now! Hope to be not too far behind!

Gail and Jack Ward

...and "Senior" dogs ~ Maggie and Ryan

2013 Montana 3900FB

2008 F450 4x4 Dually

Blog: http://twofertheroad.blogspot.com/

"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Congrats to all who have taken this leap. We're still sitting here waiting for a contract on our house. We will be moving into the coach in a couple of weeks. This will make it easier because having to keep things picked up in the house. This has disrupted our lifestyle somewhat so the move into the coach will make our life easier.

One thing in our favor is that the coach is in our driveway. This does make it easier to load it. Unfortunately the driveway is steep and we are unable to extend the slides, which makes it a little more difficult to set up the way we want it. Here is what it looks like.

CCHome3_zpsdb070375.jpg

Just not quite level, darn. We have an air bag leveling system. The front bags are close to max. Just did not feel comfortable to put more air into them. The garage stretcher would not work, LOL, so it's sitting in the front.

Congrats to all who have offers and best wishes to those that are waiting, our closing was last month and it is strange not to own a house. We got a spot in an RV Park when we decided to list the house, packed some stuff and moved into the RV during the showing, sale and closing adventure. It allowed us to keep eliminating the things we had put in the RV first and replace them with things that we found to be more practical or that we just had to keep.

It still was challenging getting down to just the things that will fit in the RV but we are there now and every new item means that something old has to go. Another month before we really start traveling, have been doing 4 or 5 day trips to local events. It is really nice not to have to pack and unpack the RV every trip, and to sleep in the same bed regardless of where it is.

It really is nice not to have to be concerned about the S&B anymore, getting used to getting mail once a week, changing the way we grocery shop( no long buy things in bulk ), getting everything possible converted to online, finding a balance between volunteering and being tourists ( we wish to enjoy ourselves but also want to help others along the way ).

Happy Camping

Dan & Janice
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
2014 Harley Ultra Limited
2012 Dutchman Voltage 3905
Daisy the Guard Schnauzer

It should be easier to keep the house looking nice and ready to show once we move into the RV FT on April 26th. This picking up when the realtor calls is a PITA. Today is 3 weeks since we listed. We had a very hot prospect 2 days ago. The realtor's clients are still in Fl. He was trying to convince them to come up earlier than the 2 weeks they were contemplating to see the house. He and his wife were here for over 1 1/2 hours, which is very encouraging. He was even thinking of faxing contracts down to them for signatures before they get here. I guess the realtor and his wife are close friends with the clients who are trying to find a replacement summer home after selling their large home in this area. Hopefully this will work out nicely for us. The estate sale is May 16th and 17th. It would be nice to close at the end of May.

Susan and I sold our home in April of 2012. We moved permanently into our Alfa at that time. I gave my notice to my manager on 1st of April of 2013, stating I will be on vacation until the 23rd , at which time I will return and turn in my badge and computer. Currently we are attending a Alfa FMCA rally in Casa Grande, Az. April 20th I will turn 62, I have already setup Social Security and pension. Both will start arriving in June. We have been in the planning stage for well over a year. During this time, we worked camp on the RIM, where I would travel back and forth from the valley (Phoenix) to be with Susan and worked alongside of her. This afforded us a foot hold with Thousand Trails Management company. I also acted as the long lost brother between 3 homes where I would stay until we brought our rig back to the valley Oct 1st. At which time we parked our rig in a small trailer park, where rent was $200/mth and travel to work was 12 miles. During this time we made changes to the rig and allow us to save a bundle. The best advice I can give is to do it sooner rather than later. Plan, live on less if need be, save every penny, hire a lawyer if you have to do a short sale. But whatever you do is make a plan, put dates to the plan and then stick to it. Think twice about renting a storage unit, sell it list it or give it away.

Dale&Susan03SeYa1084

DaGirlsRv

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Closing on the house sale was today. I'm now without a sticks-n-bricks, and it feels great. Currently living in my RV at a friend's place. Last day of work is June 7 and then I hit the road. The time remaining will be used to improve the rig, learn the ropes and make sure everything is in place. The dream of full-time RVing is really going to happen.Yippee!

Pleinguy

Solo Fulltimer

2004 Lazy Daze 23.5ft Twin-King

Class C Motorhome
PleinAirJourney.com

Judging from the flow of posts here I'd say the subject should be changed from it being "quiet" to "Class of 2013 is moving out!"

Congratulations to all who are reporting house closings, retirements, and new adventures!

We're already out of the house and in the RV full time. My retirement date is May 5, and the next day we begin our travels. It's hard to say "later" to our friends and even harder to be away from family for awhile, but we're excited about the new chapter in our lives.

Yes, the flow has really picked up. Congrats to Dale, Pleinguy and Scott. Next Friday is our move in day. It would be great to have a contract, but nothing yet. I'll keep everyone posted on our sale progress.

We just brought our rig home today. Time to slowly start loading it...and the difficult process of deciding what stays and what goes. I retired three weeks ago, Jack retires June 30th...same day our lease is up...so July 1st is the day! Hardest thing ever will be leaving my grandkids for long stretches of time...though my six-year-old grandson said it's okay if we bring him presents from our travels!

Congratulations to all who are moving out and on!

Gail and Jack Ward

2013 Montana 3900FB

2008 F450 4x4 Dually

"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

We just brought our rig home today. Time to slowly start loading it...and the difficult process of deciding what stays and what goes. I retired three weeks ago, Jack retires June 30th...same day our lease is up...so July 1st is the day! Hardest thing ever will be leaving my grandkids for long stretches of time...though my six-year-old grandson said it's okay if we bring him presents from our travels!

Congratulations to all who are moving out and on!

The grandkid concern hits home for us. We're planning to do lots of Skype with them and will see them when they take a summer trip that will bring them to us for a short visit.

From the beginning this has been one of our biggest concerns.

The grandkid concern hits home for us. We're planning to do lots of Skype with them and will see them when they take a summer trip that will bring them to us for a short visit.

From the beginning this has been one of our biggest concerns.

This is my greatest concern too. We are also planning to do lots of Skype. I am starting a blog - it will be G rated so they can read it and see photos( as well as anyone else who wants to). They are going to give me a "stuffie" to take along and I will post pics of their "stuffie' friend at various locations. Mine are 6 1/2 and 9. It is nice that yours will be able to visit you, even for a short while. Jack's grandkids are in California while mine are here in NC...which is why hitting both coasts is so important to us.

You are the first to mention this...I thought I was the only one worried about missing my grandchildren.

Gail and Jack Ward

2013 Montana 3900FB

2008 F450 4x4 Dually

~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

This is my greatest concern too. We are also planning to do lots of Skype. I am starting a blog - it will be G rated so they can read it and see photos( as well as anyone else who wants to). They are going to give me a "stuffie" to take along and I will post pics of their "stuffie' friend at various locations. Mine are 6 1/2 and 9. It is nice that yours will be able to visit you, even for a short while. Jack's grandkids are in California while mine are here in NC...which is why hitting both coasts is so important to us.

You are the first to mention this...I thought I was the only one worried about missing my grandchildren.

My son has an Ipad and so does my wife. They've already toyed with Facetime - the Apple competitor to Skype. It actually seems to work better than Skype. We've also toyed with Google+ hangouts. That will work with most any type of computer/Ipad, etc. and nicely supports conference mode with several participants. The problem with it is that not everyone has discovered it yet.

We've also started a blog but even though we're already living full time in the RV we don't really launch for a couple of weeks, so there's not anything much to read in it yet. Good idea on the stuffie - I'll pass it on. I can see how it would be interesting especially to the kids to see something of theirs in the photos. Thanks for sharing!

Just joined the forum and this is my first post! Been retired for a couple of years and have finally sold the DW on the idea of fulltiming due to our loss of interest in maintaining a four bedroom home. We have decided to sell our home of 25 years and hope to hit the road this summer. We are meeting with the real estate agents this week and have started cleaning out. Medicare kicks in for both of us this year so we decided to get on the road as soon as possible. I believe this will make us part of the Class of 2013.

We currently have a nice 28' TT but doubt that it will suffice as a FT RV. I know people do it in this type of RV, but the storage capacity is very limited. We have made a couple of west coast trips (we are from Michigan), one trip was for four months, so we know that we enjoy RV traveling. It's just a little scary to pull up stakes and leave our nest and friends. Our two kids and granchildren moved out of state a few years ago.

We are excited to have finally made the decision to go FT but realize that we have a lot of work ahead of us. This site appears to be a great place for information and help. I look forward to visiting here often and gathering information and encouragement for our new life.

Ed the future CountryTraveler.

Ed, Sue and Robbie the little white dog.

2007 Monaco Diplimat 40SKQ

Launching on 7/25/2013

CountryTraveler (Ed)...

My wife (Alice) and I are from Michigan too. We both retired at the end of last year... after buying a Motor Home in November 2012. We've never motorhome'd before... not even owned an RV. Traveled (Family vacations in Van) extensively tho, and planned the RV thing for years.

Three months in to being new (and I MEAN 'new') Fulltimers, all I can tell you is... its' great!

It is scary to pull up stakes and go. Try Skype for video phone chats with friends & relatives. Use Millenincom for Internet access... Go to the Escapees Boot Camp as soon as you can - New friends and great education! This blog, and the IRV2 blog, are great sources for information.

And did I mention that the Escapees RV Club, and blog, are the greatest? LOL... really, no kidding, I have used this forum, and club members, for extensive advice and sounding board questions. And staying in Escapees parks has been a wonderful experience, chock full of advice, chock full of immediate firends... as well as just plain comfortable - so comfortable that we just got thru signing up for the local "Hot List" (Leased lot waiting list) for the Escapee Park that we've been in for the last several weeks.

We Skype, cell phone, and email our family & friends.... and find that does keep us in adequate touch with the home folks (our only son is in the Air Force). Frankly, we do miss close family & friends... but the new friends we've made out here are just wonderful. I feel we've expanded our network of friends, not so much left the 'home friends' behind. In fact, several friends 'back home' are watching what we are doing... as they are a few years behind us in retirement... and they want to get out here too!

Anyway, didn't mean to be so wordy. It is a big change in living, but a tremendous opportunity to see the country, make new friends, and simply have fun. Say hello to Michigan for me! Talked to our daughter there yesterday... it was snowing. Sunny & warm here in Arizona!

Best Wishes,

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Our grandkids are all out of state with our kids as well, so we suspect we will actually see them more often.

Congrats to all who have made the move!

We are finalizing out MH packing. We move in on Friday. We have almost everything we need moved. We will have a couple of weeks to decide is something we left will be needed, or something we took we just do not need or have room for. Our household sale is scheduled already. We are still awaiting the contract on the house. The prospects are expected in town in a week or so. If the house sells before then, oh well they missed out.

Archived