Civil Action Phone Scam?

Hi,

I got a voicemail about a "pending civil complaint" to be filed in Polk Co. Had my Escapees address and phone number.

Pretty sure a scam as the phone numbers don't answer and internet search brings up nothing. Called from an 858 area code and 877 number from message doesn't work.

A pretty good scam though! Lady sounded professional and not your typical scam artists voice. Ended the message with "you have been served" as-if a voicemail is a legal way to subpoena you! 

Anyone else get one of these calls?

Careful out there! You know the drill for legal issues, it'll be in the mail so don't get tricked and give out anything on the phone or email!

I've never received, or heard of a call like that.  Scammers usually answer return calls - it's an integral part of their "business plan" :-).  

As you probably know, 858 is a San Diego area code and 877 is a toll-free nation-wide number.  Have you been in San Diego and had a some kind of disagreement with someone there?  The "you've been served" sounds like something a debt collector might use, to try and intimate you.  As for not returning your call. Incompetence seems more likely to me than an integral part of a scam.

In any case, I'm very interested in what transpires and suspect others may be too.  Please keep us updated.  And I hope it turns out to be something you can laugh about rather than a hassle.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Kind of sounds like a scam but anymore it is difficult to tell.  I received a call yesterday from my health insurance and they started the call with we need to confirm who you are and asked for my birthday and so on.  I told them first I need to confirm who you are.  That left the caller a little uneasy.  These scams are difficult to determine what is what.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I received a call yesterday from my health insurance and they started the call with we need to confirm who you are and asked for my birthday and so on.  I told them first I need to confirm who you are. 

We had that very experience just 2 days ago and we each got the same call. It started with a computer that asked if I was available and the other asked Pam the same thing. The first time it happened we both declined to speak to them but about 24 hours later it happened again. Mine came in first and so I said yes and shortly a person came on the line. At that point she asked me to verify who I am and I responded that I would only do so after I had verification that she was who she claimed to be. After some stuttering, she agreed to give me the customer number she was calling about. When it was mine I then gave her my birthdate. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Why do people answer calls that they don't recognize?  If it's important they'll leave a message.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We had that very experience just 2 days ago and we each got the same call. It started with a computer that asked if I was available and the other asked Pam the same thing. The first time it happened we both declined to speak to them but about 24 hours later it happened again. Mine came in first and so I said yes and shortly a person came on the line. At that point she asked me to verify who I am and I responded that I would only do so after I had verification that she was who she claimed to be. After some stuttering, she agreed to give me the customer number she was calling about. When it was mine I then gave her my birthdate. 

Wow!

Myu phone was in the truck so just got the voice message. I have a 760 phone number but have not been in San Diego area for over 10 years, plus my conscious is clear and I've done nothing that could even remotely get me in trouble.

It specifically mentioned Polk county though!

Some research revealed a jury scam scam was going around. Following quote from Polk county clerk:

"

Beware of Jury Scams!

Scammers often use jury service as the target of their scams. They use fraudulent phone calls, emails, or mail to inform people of a failure to appear for jury duty or that they need to verify their signature. Scammers can be very convincing and may pretend to be calling from the Clerk’s office, Sheriff’s office, Judges’ offices, or other official organizations. We NEVER share jurors’ personal information, and our office does not call or email jurors to ask for personal information or any form of payment, especially via a prepaid debit card. If you receive a suspicious call or email, please contact our office.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:01 PM, Kirk W said:

The first time it happened we both declined to speak to them but about 24 hours later it happened again. Mine came in first and so I said yes and shortly a person came on the line. At that point she asked me to verify who I am and I responded that I would only do so after I had verification that she was who she claimed to be. After some stuttering, she agreed to give me the customer number she was calling about. When it was mine I then gave her my birthdate. 

Kirk,

Don't answer any calls from unknown parties with "yes". Scammers use this technique to record your voice and then charge purchases in your name. Here is an article from the Minnesota Attorney General describing this problem.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

11 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Kirk,

Don't answer any calls from unknown parties with "yes". Scammers use this technique to record your voice and then charge purchases in your name. Here is an article from the Minnesota Attorney General describing this problem.

Wayne

I received mine via voicemail.

Hard to ignore ALL phone calls. About half unknown numbers are not scams but business related.

As I said they are usually obvious but this one was slick! Knew more than my phone number. Usually they scammers have a distinct accent but this one was all business American!

So be careful out there!

57 minutes ago, aztex said:

About half unknown numbers are not scams but business related.

What makes things even more difficult is the fact that spammers can now clone the source of the call as well. The caller ID of the two calls that I was posting about both did have the caller ID of  WellCare, but we were still cautious as one must be. Also, I never use an imbed link anymore as those are especially risky in either email or text. 

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, aztex said:

About half unknown numbers are not scams but business related.

Even some of those can be scams. My previous health insurer had a company that called me all the time wanting me to sign up for this program or that one. They called from numbers all around the country. Now, I don't answer any calls from numbers that are not in my contact list. If they leave a voice mail, I check that to see if it's someone I want to call back or not. If they didn't care enough to leave a voice mail, I don't care about them either.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

MOST if not ALL of the responsibility for this is Google!

The program Google Voice is an EASY way to pirate phone numbers. Ever been selling on say Craigslist and an earnest buyer wants to "verify" you by sending a number text they want you to tell them? Seem innocuous BUT they use this to snag your phone number for Google calls and VERY difficult to retrieve ownership.

Your experience wont change but the scammer will be able to use the number for calls. This is why the scammers from India etc always have a local phone number!

Absolutely NO reason for this to exists with all the problems and fraud in facilitates! if Google shut it down most scam calls would vanish. I am shocked there has not been a multi $Billion suit against Google for facilitating fraud this way!

Simple ...... don't answer calls from numbers not in your contact list.  If important, they'll leave a message.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just now, 2gypsies said:

Simple ...... don't answer calls from numbers not in your contact list.  If important, they'll leave a message.

Except this time...it was a voicemail message!

4 hours ago, aztex said:

MOST if not ALL of the responsibility for this is Google!

IMO, you're mistaken.  Most voice spams/scams are delivered via Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), which Google has no control over.    I

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/number-spoofing-scams/

https://www.fcc.gov/general/voice-over-internet-protocol-voip

Most scam calls have a delay between the time you say hello and they come online. When that happens, I let them begin talking then interrupt; saying "you have reached the county morgue". Some of the responses are hilarious.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

IMO, you're mistaken.  Most voice spams/scams are delivered via Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), which Google has no control over.    I

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/number-spoofing-scams/

https://www.fcc.gov/general/voice-over-internet-protocol-voip

Those are EXACTLY what Google Voice does! It's just another avenue. 

I sell often on Craigslist and almost every time I get a "buyer" wanting to "verify" by texting a number which they plug into Google Voice. If I have your phone number and trick you into accepting a text and giving me the code I can now make Google Voice calls with your number. Very simple and very common.

Not doubting your information as there are many ways to skin a cat but bottom line is Google facilitates one of the more common means

I googled: someone stole my Google Voice number

This was the first hit:

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/238202921/someone-stole-my-number?hl=en

---------------------------------------------------

To me, an analog would be giving your PIN to a guy who stole your debit card.  And then claiming that it's Visa's fault the guy emptied your bank account. 

16 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I googled: someone stole my Google Voice number

This was the first hit:

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/238202921/someone-stole-my-number?hl=en

---------------------------------------------------

To me, an analog would be giving your PIN to a guy who stole your debit card.  And then claiming that it's Visa's fault the guy emptied your bank account. 

Not quite....I think we're ALL aware how ATMs work but I bet few have a clue what Google Voice is! It's comes off more like the guy sending you HIS PIN and you just text it back....what could be the harm?! Point is GV is totally unnecessary. If you have a modern cellphone and internet connection you can easily set up wifi calling safe and securely via your phone provider.

The way it works is the scammer shows serious interest in an item you're selling on CL. They will ask the right questions and says they want it and will meet AFTER they make sure you're legit and will text you a number and please text that number back to him. Seems very innocent! How could texting a number back to someone get you in any trouble?! This isn't a secret number you have for ATMs or other secure purposes in fact it appears like the scammer initiated it!

Let's concede you're smarter than this but recall how stupid the average American is and then realize half are dumber than that!

As we age and are tired or stressed we become more susceptible to confidence schemes. I think ALL victims of such crimes see the obvious scam in retrospect but acknowledge how easy it is to fall for....

I have fun by trying to see just how many ways I can say yes without actually saying the word yes!  It's a blast and completely stymies the scammers.  I've come up with:  That's/You're correct/right, Absolutely, Certainly, Definitely, Uh-huh, That sounds good/right