Certified Clean Idle - California ? ? ?

Tina-Jim

Greetings All,

The bride and I are planning on becoming full timers in two years when we retire.   We do not currently have an RV, however, do have two sets of friends who are currently full time RV'ers. 

The Bride and I want to go with a MDT (Class 6/Class 7).  One question we have is regarding California's Certified Clean Idle laws.  To visit Cali does our truck have to be CCI?  Be a DEF truck?   I am not finding a straight or clear answer to this in other google searches...   Thought maybe we should ask people in the know...

Be safe out there,

Tina & Jim

Welcome to the Escapee forums! As long as an automobile, truck, or RV is legally registered and meets the requirements of the state where it is registered, it is legal to operate on the roads and highways of all of the states. Both Canada and Mexico also honor those registrations. 

Where do you plan to keep your RV registered? Do you intend to keep your current domicile or move to another state? Have you considered joining the Escapees RV Club to get the support system that they offer to fulltimers?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Lets get this accurate.  Truck classifications explained.  Once you read that you can decide if you want/need a medium-duty truck or a class 7-8 truck. 

The state of registration somewhat dictates which California  laws and rules you must follow.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The state of registration somewhat dictates which California  laws and rules you must follow

The state of registration is the only state that matters if you are only visiting California as far as the physical vehicle is concerned. Rules of the road, such as speed limits, for example, must be followed. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

There are state specific rules that can restrict vehicles that are legal in the state it is registered.  For instance towing  RV doubles is legal in my home state but not legal in many others.  The legal length of RV's varies by state and the home state rules do not apply.  How this affects this California rule I don't know but it isn't as cut and dry as some seem to believe.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Greetings All,

Thank you for the responses.  I will try to answer the query's above in one post...

Have not (yet) considered joining Escapees RV Club , just learning about this will investigate. 

We intend to sell everything (house, cars, etc.) and buy a crew cab MDT truck (Freightliner, International and KW are the current top contenders - not a class 8 tractor.  Something along the lines of a M2-112, Durastar 4300 or T270). Not a big pick-up, not a 'true' tractor either.

We are still researching which state would be most beneficial.  SD has it's PROS, FL has some benefits, undetermined state of residency.

The general consensus seems to be, *currently* California will let a pre-DEF truck in to visit.   We had heard some rumors of Cali not even letting 'trucks manufactured before 2010' enter.   Since Cali is one of the places we would like to visit...

Thank you again for your responses.

Tina & Jim

Edited by Tina-Jim

We have driven our 2003, Dodge/Cummins diesel truck all around California and spent time there are recently as a year ago. We have TX license plates and when driving it we have passed through CA agricultural check stations with it and nobody even noticed. 

We sold our house and either sold or gave away everything that didn't fit into our RV. We were on the road fulltime for 12 years when my wife's health forced us from the road and back to part-time again. We did have a few things stored with our sons but very few and we didn't rent a storage space. Had we stored a bunch of furniture or something the storage costs for 12 years would have been far more than the value of what was stored. 

You may find this article to be helpful.

Ultimate Guide for Residency and Domicile as a Full Time RVer

Edited by Kirk W

4 hours ago, Tina-Jim said:

The general consensus seems to be, *currently* California will let a pre-DEF truck in to visit.   We had heard some rumors of Cali not even letting 'trucks manufactured before 2010' enter.   Since Cali is one of the places we would like to visit...

Is that for commercial trucks rather than personal ones? You might want to read the HDT section even though you plan to buy an MDT to see what they recommend you carry in a binder for California people who don't actually know what the rules are. I've never owned either type but I was impressed with their binder recommendations as a way to help in otherwise difficult situations.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Previous MDT owner (2003 International 4400).  I would NOT buy another.  HDT only (if looking at another truck).  More horsepower/torque and much more comfortable ride.

Most states allow registering HDTs as a motorhome potentially reducing registration/license/insurance costs.  I do not believe California has any restrictions on motorhomes regarding emissions - another plus to registering HDT as a motorhome.  

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

14 hours ago, lenp said:

Most states allow registering HDTs as a motorhome potentially reducing registration/license/insurance costs. 

There are requirements for what must been the cab to do that, though.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Tina-Jim, the M2-112 is a class 7-8 heavy duty truck, it is not a medium=duty truck.  The M2-106, depending on configuration can be a medium-duty truck (class 6) or a HDT (class 7-8)

reference:  https://www.freightliner.com/trucks/m2-112-plus/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thank you Kirk W for the info and the link.

Thank you Len P and SandSys for the comments.

The Ray,IN.  Will look at that link further.   When searching for CLASS 6 / CLASS 7 trucks, the M2-106/112's frequently come up.  *My understanding is this is based on the GVW (CLASS 6 =GVW 19501 - 26000 and CLASS 7 = GVW 26001 - 33000).  Since the fifth wheel coaches we are considering are in the 22500 ~ 24500 pound range, with a pin weight of 4k,  Class 6 MDT seems the most appropriate.  ?

Kirk W, maybe we should have a side chat.  You indicated you Durastar 4400 wasn't enough truck...   ?

Thank you everyone for your comments,

Tina & Jim

On 12/11/2023 at 8:03 PM, lenp said:

Previous MDT owner (2003 International 4400).  I would NOT buy another.  HDT only (if looking at another truck).  More horsepower/torque and much more comfortable ride.

I will add as a former owner of a Stalick outfitted 2001 IH 4700 DT530, I would not go back to an MDT, esp not an IH.  They are typically outfitted delivery trucks.  My wife has the results of a back injury and couldnt last more than 2 hours in the IH, even though we had air ride seats, air ride rear suspension and air ride hitch.  So we stepped up to a Volvo 730 and she can go for 6-7 hours without any issues later.  We have even done some back to back days and she seems to do fine.  And I am into my truck(BTW- only 91K+ miles on my '08) for less than a newer CC DRW pickup and certainly many of the M2-112 trucks I have seen out there that are of similar vintage as my Volvo.

Marcel

4 hours ago, Tina-Jim said:

Kirk W, maybe we should have a side chat.  You indicated you Durastar 4400 wasn't enough truck...   ?

That was lenp who made that comment. I have not owned one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I met a couple in Michigan who had a custom-built 5th wheel, pulled by an enormous semi truck with a large cab on the back.  (I believe they had more than just sleeping space in the cab.)  In the space between the cab and the 5th wheel hookup, they had a tiny electric car parked.  He said he had registered the truck as a motorhome, and pointed out to me that he had the words "Private Vehicle" painted on both the driver's and the passenger's door.   This made it clear it was not a commercial vehicle and did not have to go through weigh stations, inspections, and such things. 

You can easily spot this very fancy rig if it is in your area because the whole thing is painted with red, white, and blue swirls and streaks!  They are very nice people, so say Hi! to them.   

Solo18:  You are describing (other than the colors) many rigs owned by us that come here but are in all parts of this country.  Today I am setting up my HDT to allow for loading and carrying of my Smart car behind my DROM box secured behind my sleeper on my Volvo 730, allowing me to tow my New Horizons 42' 5th wheel. Rallies are a great place to learn about this style of travel, from the mechanical, legal, experience and gathering aspects of this type of RVing.  There are 3 each year.  Youtube has some info as well, although it is usually personal in nature, meaning specific to the producer of the video, but certainly information.

Marcel

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread,

I came into California at the end of Jan 2024 on I40 with my 2005 Peterbilt towing a 48' traiiler and had no issues.    Have been in the L.A. area for a month again no issues.    My truck is registered as an RV and has no signage of any kind.    If you were to come in thru I 10 or I 80 there are ports of entry, as an RV just drive past them.      

As mentioned, the clean idle restriction is for commercial vehicles.    If you have a personal vehicle it is not an issue at this time.    That could change in the future but, for now it is not thing.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

On 12/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, Solo18 said:

I met a couple in Michigan who had a custom-built 5th wheel, pulled by an enormous semi truck with a large cab on the back.  (I believe they had more than just sleeping space in the cab.)  In the space between the cab and the 5th wheel hookup, they had a tiny electric car parked.  He said he had registered the truck as a motorhome, and pointed out to me that he had the words "Private Vehicle" painted on both the driver's and the passenger's door.   This made it clear it was not a commercial vehicle and did not have to go through weigh stations, inspections, and such things. 

You can easily spot this very fancy rig if it is in your area because the whole thing is painted with red, white, and blue swirls and streaks!  They are very nice people, so say Hi! to them.   

Hi Solo 18 that was us. Truck says private rv and is not required to be displayed. Some people do some don’t. The smart car is gas. We have the side by side with us now, we are in Arizona for the winter. Safe travels 

• 4 weeks later...

Great to hear from you!!!  I was next to you at the fairgrounds in TC.  Also, saw you head over Big Mac as I was parking in the lot just below it at the Fort visitor center.   Not only did I enjoy the jam you gave me, but I started to make my own version of cherry jam and have been giving it away to fellow campers, so if I bump into you again, I'll share it with you and ask for a review of my "recipe."  Yours was very good and inspired me.

I'm in Florida for the winter, but I'll be heading North through the Soo in August and then west on the TransCanada Highway to Banff and Lake Louise, then south to WA and OR and my son's house in CA for Christmas.  

Judy

Edited by Solo18