Brits keen to join the RV network

Gary Bagley

Hi All, I have recently retired from the British Army after 39 years and this year my wife Julia and I have shipped our own RV to the states and are travelling extensively. We have 2 months left before returning to the UK and shipping our 24" Motorhome back with us. We are hooked on how beautiful this country is and don't feel like we have done it justice in such a short time. We now think we wish to buy an RV here and travel for 3 to 5 years. We have a 10 year multi entry visa so we are good providing we go to Canada or Mexico for a day every 6 months. However, I don't know where to start with purchasing, registering etc without a permanent address here in the US. Any advice, where best to purchase? Class A or C? Insurance etc would be very much appreciated. Many thanks and safe travels. Gary

A couple of comments.

As far as I'm aware going in and out of Canada or Mexico is a loophole that has now been closed. Double check to see if you can still do that. ( as Australians we did it a number of times. But please check that you can still do it. Often refered to as going around the flag pole).

Simply join SKPs and get an address. Simple as that. Registration, insurance etc all then falls into place.

Good luck. 

9 hours ago, bruce t said:

Simply join SKPs and get an address. Simple as that. Registration, insurance etc all then falls into place.

Good luck. 

Good advice from Bruce T. I would also add that while not the only place to buy an RV, Texas has PPL Motorhomes which has a pretty large selection of RVs of all types for sale.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Hey Gary,

Just a FYI to check into but if you have the B1/B2 visa for multiple entries into the USA and wish to Flagpole hop as it's known to reactivate, be cautious as whilst in most cases the "first time" they'll grant you up to 6 months entry into the USA, that is totally at the discretion of that border crossing agent back into the USA.   Six months every time is not guaranteed!!!  They might not agree to a 6 month in and out for 24 hours/3 days or whatever and another re-entry for multiple months.

Just highlighting that you are aware that the USA border agent = "at their discretion" always!!

2 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Just highlighting that you are aware that the USA border agent = "at their discretion" always!!

So don't get in a line where someone seems to be holding up everything. Always follow the rules as to what you can bring across. Always be polite and respectful. Don't be one they want "to get". Considering making the crossing one way then drive down the road to return via the next crossing so you don't look familiar to them.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The man who bought our Foretravel is from The Netherlands. He was told that he could not register a vehicle here since he wasn't a US citizen, so he established an LLC (which he owns) in Montana that owns the Foretravel. Since none of that mattered to us I can't verify whether that might be true.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

3 hours ago, kb0zke said:

The man who bought our Foretravel is from The Netherlands. He was told that he could not register a vehicle here since he wasn't a US citizen, so he established an LLC (which he owns) in Montana that owns the Foretravel. Since none of that mattered to us I can't verify whether that might be true.

True for most countries. But there are treaties between some countries that allow you to buy and also use your driving license. Australia is one of the lucky countries. I believe the UK also qualities.

Just a note that may be of help. Years ago we got tired of going into Mexico or Canada. We decided to chance our luck at an immigration office. (I don't recall what its technically called). Lots of looonnnggg lines. But long story short. We were able to prove we were tourists. Had to show bank accounts with sufficient funds for our travel. Show evidence of property or such back home. In other words you had to prove you weren't working in the USA and that you had sufficient reason to return home. We were treated very politely. They stamped our passports and wished us well. Don't try to lie or quote the law to them. They have the power to say NO. 

Edited by bruce t
Additional information

14 hours ago, bruce t said:

True for most countries. But there are treaties between some countries that allow you to buy and also use your driving license. Australia is one of the lucky countries. I believe the UK also qualities.

Unless things have recently changed, all of the "crown colonies" have that right. I know that UK does and the same for Canada and Mexico. I knew a couple from New Zealand who did that as well, but it's been several years on that one. I did an online search and came up with the following information.

The primary requirement is that your foreign driving license must be issued in the English language. All names, numbers, and symbols on the license should be in English and easily legible. If your license does not meet this criterion, you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by your home country.  Additionally, you must not have any obvious medical conditions that would prevent you from driving. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk I believe it's signatories to the Visa Waiver Treaty.

I haven't travelled for sometime so I'm more than likely out of date. Under the VWT you can enter the USA without a visa for up to 90 days as a tourist. Any longer then you need a visa of some kind.

Driver licenses etc are recognized.  However insurance isn't covered due to the differences in liability laws etc.

Folks need to keep in mind that many of these laws/rules aren't black and white. The persons wearing the white gloves at the airport can ruin your day anytime the so choose. 😫

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, bruce t said:

A couple of comments.

As far as I'm aware going in and out of Canada or Mexico is a loophole that has now been closed. Double check to see if you can still do that. ( as Australians we did it a number of times. But please check that you can still do it. Often refered to as going around the flag pole).

Good luck. 

Sorry but I'm lost....what are SKPs?

On 10/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, bruce t said:

A couple of comments.

Good luck. 

11 hours ago, LindaH said:

Escapees.  Say each letter out loud.

Ha, ha 🫣 thanks for that. The Original poster said join SKPs and get an address? Then registration etc falls into place.....did he mean a mail address from a private box company? The whole registration/insurance seems tricky in the USA compared to Australia where I live. 

2 hours ago, patn said:

The Original poster said join SKPs and get an address? Then registration etc falls into place.....did he mean a mail address from a private box company?

You are using a public forum that is provided by the Escapees RV Club and what he was saying is that if you join the Escapees and get your needed address from them, you will also find the needed support for what you wish to do. 

2 hours ago, patn said:

The whole registration/insurance seems tricky in the USA compared to Australia where I live. 

It isn't so much that it is tricky as that you are in a different country with very different laws so things are different here. States are far more autonomous than are your provinces. I suggest that you take some time learn about things here, starting with Australian Perspective which was written by an Australian member of these forums. I assure you that as one who has spent time in Australia, things seem just as different when we visit you but deep down we are pretty much the same. If you do this, I think that you will find that the US is a very friendly place with mostly welcoming people.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Re insurance. Here in Australia your vehicle registration and insurance are all the same thing. (One payment with a component going to what is know as "compulsory" third party insurance).

Then there is the optional insurance. 

The "compulsory" covers public liability etc. The "optional" covers your own vehicle. 

In the USA registration is just for registration with no insurance component. The insurance is required to get the registration. The flaw, as I see it, in the US system is with monthly insurance payments. Ie you get your insurance with a monthly payment then use that insurance to get your registration. Then make no further monthly insurance payments. Driving a registered vehicle with no insurance! Whereas in Australia your registration payment means you do have insurance.

Yes the above is brief and misses a few details!!

Greg you will need to obtain an international driver permit from the country that issued your present driver license even though some states in the U.S.A. only require your present driver license..  https://www.usa.gov/travel-to-within-us

bruce t, most U.S.A. states require insurance companies to notify the state dept. of motor vehicles if liability insurance is discontinued on a vehicle, including the VIN=vehicle identification number. That system is not 100% fail-proof but it works.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961