Rear suspension dump stopped working

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

The last 2 times I tried to dump the rear suspension on the Volvo it did not go down. It did not make any noise at all when I flipped the dash switch. The only thing I know that would prevent the suspension from going down is the solenoid under the truck. I know there is a bank of 5 under there because I had to replace one of them in the past so I know how to do it. I also have something that says the suspension dump is the black line. I was wondering if there is something else I should be checking for. Thanks for any assistance.

Brad   

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The leveling valve is in the normal driving position as far as I know. it loses air after a day of sitting and goes back up when I start it.  Rocky the system is all aired up for traveling and did travel all day. Will not air down to decrease the unload angle for the smart when the switch is flipped

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Had not thought of the switch. I think I have an old switch kicking around for another function that was not needed and removed when the dash was rearranged. It does not have to have the little button to prevent it being flipped accidentally just to do a test does it.

?

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Had not thought of the switch. I think I have an old switch kicking around for another function that was not needed and removed when the dash was rearranged. It does not have to have the little button to prevent it being flipped accidentally just to do a test does it.

?

Brad,

Could you not just pull your old switch and test with a multimeter to see if you’re getting current across the poles?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

28 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Brad,

Could you not just pull your old switch and test with a multimeter to see if you’re getting current across the poles?

Hi Carl,

That could probably be done by someone that knew what they were doing but since I don't I would not know if it was right or not (there are about 8 connections on the back of the switch). I have looked and I have 2 additional switches that have the same lock button but just a different picture on them. I'm guessing that they are the same but will have to wait until I get the switch pulled out to see the connectors.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Well I swapped out the switch with another switch with a lockout button that I had and aired up the truck. No difference so I'll start looking for a solenoid tomorrow. Guess I'll be getting dirty Darryl.

Edited by Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

7 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Hi Carl,

That could probably be done by someone that knew what they were doing but since I don't I would not know if it was right or not (there are about 8 connections on the back of the switch). I have looked and I have 2 additional switches that have the same lock button but just a different picture on them. I'm guessing that they are the same but will have to wait until I get the switch pulled out to see the connectors.

Brad

Understandable.  I rely on Chet or Randy to steer me when it comes to electrical issues.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

9 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Well I swapped out the switch with another switch with a lockout button that I had and aired up the truck. No difference so I'll start looking for a solenoid tomorrow. Guess I'll be getting dirty Darryl.

Might want to check if you have power and ground at the valve before you get too dirty.

You will all be happy to know that I got dirty today and changed the suspension dump solenoid. Everything is working again. I did come to the conclusion (I forgot since the last time I changed one) that this would be an easier job if I did not have a bed on the truck.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

20 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

You will all be happy to know that I got dirty today and changed the suspension dump solenoid. Everything is working again. I did come to the conclusion (I forgot since the last time I changed one) that this would be an easier job if I did not have a bed on the truck.

👍

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 2 weeks later...