Texas

GlennWest

We're on the coast in Rockport.  At least the "real temp" rarely gets to 100.  Even a few miles inland the temperatures can be ~10 degrees hotter.  That's little real comfort but it makes me feel cooler just saying it!  😀

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

At least you have fire ants, here we have crazy ants (yes, that is a real thing) and they have driven out all fire ants.

I stayed in an RV Park in Texas which was infested with crazy ants.  Anything you put on the ground they would collect under.  They were terrible.  The park spent thousands of dollars getting rid of them, and they were back a year later.

https://www.holderspestsolutions.com/pest-library/ants/crazy-ants/

16 hours ago, durangodon said:

I stayed in an RV Park in Texas which was infested with crazy ants.  Anything you put on the ground they would collect under.  They were terrible.  The park spent thousands of dollars getting rid of them, and they were back a year later.

https://www.holderspestsolutions.com/pest-library/ants/crazy-ants/

They invaded the RV once and had collected around the dog's water bowl, apparently the food next to it was of no interest. I have been combating them with Spectracide Home Barrier. So I found their new creative entry point and sprayed. I have added it to my weekly list of treatment points. Yes, weekly, even though according the Spectracide the treatment should last longer, the ants can't read. The RV park has offered treatment but whatever they are using smells bad and pets have to stay away from it for a week therefore we have opted out of their treatment.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I just ran a search for Rasberry Crazy Ants.  Some websites say they came from S. America, some say Africa, another says the Caribbean. I wonder if anyone actually knows?

BTW, the high here in S. Indiana was 79°F today and it's supposed to last all week, then the weekend will be in the mid-90's, with humidity in the 80's. Let's see_ Isn't the last NASCAR race this coming weekend; it'll be too hot to work outside I'm sure. DW just bought me a brand-new leather recliner with all the options; just in time.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, 2gypsies said:

Some good info about the Rasberry Crazy Ant.  They sound awful.... Hope they don't spread to other states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasberry_crazy_ant

I'll handle them like I do ground wasps, after dark pour a cup of gasoline on the nest. No need to light the vapor, it kills them anyway.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I'll handle them like I do ground wasps, after dark pour a cup of gasoline on the nest. No need to light the vapor, it kills them anyway.

I strongly suggest that you don't use that method with crazy ants.  One of their favorite nesting places is in electrical equipment.  Another is in the walls of your home.

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

That sounds to me like a potential source of a wildfire.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 2:30 PM, GlennWest said:

So hot here cows eating popcorn 

80° here and 20% humidity. I can't deal with the heat and humidity down there as it was as bad in Louisiana and that's why we moved Glenn. You can always put on more clothes and layer for the temperate cold here. But like I said for all the years I was stationed in Louisiana and San Antonio, "once you are down to your skivvies you get A/C . . . in the holding cell for indecent exposure! I feel for you folks in the extreme heat and near the wildfires. Be safe Glenn.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As for wasps no need to throw it and create a fire hazard. There are dozens of videos on YouTube showing people doing this. It is important that the water in the shop vac be soapy too.

Or use just the gas fumes:

The gas stays in the cup. They pass out and fall into it. I think this method and the soapy water are much safer than throwing gas at your building where those missed can sting the thrower.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire